PDA

View Full Version : Need an opinion on this micro bands

MiHec
11-12-2008, 10:20 AM
Hello,
I need an opinion on this microbands for tumble lube (see picture). It's .45 200gn SWC. What do you think? Would this be ok?

HeavyMetal
11-12-2008, 10:36 AM
If you want to tumble lube this boolit will do just fine!

Good pic, is this something new from Lee? Usually the art work/Pic's are not that good!

MiHec
11-12-2008, 10:41 AM
No, this is HG#68 clone and it's my idea. It will be cherry cutter and it's easyer to make that kind of bands.

kir_kenix
11-12-2008, 11:58 AM
The TL groove design works just fine for pan lubed boolits. Looks like a good boolit, and will have plenty of applications in a variety of .45's.

Larry Gibson
11-12-2008, 01:11 PM
I'd eliminate the front lube groove to make the front driving band wider. The case mouth has to taper crimp back onto the bullet and needs better support than the thin driving band shown. Other than that it should work fine.

Larry Gibson

EDK
11-12-2008, 02:21 PM
I'd eliminate the front lube groove to make the front driving band wider. The case mouth has to taper crimp back onto the bullet and needs better support than the thin driving band shown. Other than that it should work fine.

Larry Gibson

A wider front band should make the design about perfect. I used "about a million H&G 68s" when I was into 45 autos and S&W 625s in 45 ACP.

I hadn't used tumble lube or Lee Liquid Alox until I bought a 44 mould from Ranch Dog...really good performance in my 44s! I just got the TLC 359 190 for 35 caliber Marlin rifles.

:Fire::cbpour::redneck:

Blammer
11-12-2008, 03:03 PM
plus one on larry's suggestion.

I'd also check to make sure that your TL grooves are deep enough after sizing. but looks like a winner!

MiHec
11-12-2008, 03:24 PM
So you are suggesting something like this (picture). Would be anyone interested in buying 6 cavity mold (lee clone) with that boolit? [smilie=1:

runfiverun
11-12-2008, 04:14 PM
now that looks better.
lla and some jpw would be fine.

Echo
11-13-2008, 03:10 AM
+1 on the new design - except I would make the front driving band even longer, so the boolit could be seated out .030-,040 to engage the rifling when chambered.

MiHec
11-13-2008, 04:00 AM
The front band is 0,051 long and the rear band is 0,070 long. Do you think i should go to 0,060 on front and rear?

I'm trying to do somethink like this :-D

EDK
11-15-2008, 01:38 PM
I like your design. Just a few questions and comments.

My H &G 68 sample shows a front band of about .100 and a base band of .150....just rough measurements from a boolit that was lubed and sized....15 years ago...I haven't loaded for or shot my S&W 645s since 1995. D----!

It would be best to stay with the .100 front band so you could adjust seating depth and still have enough surface inside the case to taper crimp/? on. Case neck tension is extremely important to avoid boolit set back, especially in an auto.

The rear band could be safely reduced to .100....that's the length in the KEITH 44 magnum boolits and a 45 ACP doesn't generate pressures even close to the big 44.

You adjust the number, width and depth of the tumble lube grooves with the two above requirements fixed. Anything else is your option. I'd look at dimensions of the LEEs or RANCH DOGS to get me started.

Tumbling and then dip lubing a second coat of LLA ( or XLOX) has worked for my 44 revolvers. A little messy until you get your process worked out, but well worth the minor problems.

Your LEE clone mould looks good. You might consider thread inserts (heli-coils) for a set screw for the pivot and stop bolts on the mould...maybe inserts for them too. PLUS an insert for the sprue cutter cam to work off ala the LEEMENTING stickies.

Good luck on the project.

:Fire::cbpour::redneck: