PDA

View Full Version : 1851 Navy .44

Mr Peabody
12-30-2019, 05:55 PM
Has any one on this forum used Accurate Molds conicals in their C&B pistol? the Lee .450 200gr conical shoots great in my pistol but it's too long to load without removing the cylinder from the gun. I was looking at Tom's 45-155B and 45-180R. Anybody use them?

Good Cheer
12-30-2019, 08:01 PM
Haven't used Accurate's but agree about the '51 bored out to .44 being difficult to load with long boolits.
The wedge is in the way and the cut out often is sized to only accept round ball.

rodwha
12-31-2019, 12:33 AM
Not those but the 170C and 195C, though I will be modifying my design seeing that the more accurate charge didn’t change even with a ball so I’ll fill it with lead and make a few little changes.

Battis
12-31-2019, 11:52 AM
I wish I could remember where I read the post, or when, but I don't. Anyway, someone designed a mold for a cap and ball revolver - the perfect bullet - but the problem was it's weight and shape. It built up too much pressure and the guns were exploding.

rodwha
12-31-2019, 01:11 PM
I wish I could remember where I read the post, or when, but I don't. Anyway, someone designed a mold for a cap and ball revolver - the perfect bullet - but the problem was it's weight and shape. It built up too much pressure and the guns were exploding.

Was that a one time deal? I had designed a very heavy 285 grn WFN for my ROA. It would cut a long driving band when seated. A fellow had been following my threads concerning it and the 170 and 195 grn versions meant for my NMA and ROA. I sent him some and he loaded the big one in an ASM Walker with 56 grns of Pyrodex P and the cylinder wall let loose. Luckily he has all of his fingers. He was able to find a replacement cylinder. Might that be what you are referring to? No one else has or will be given those so it was a one time deal unless he gave them to others.

Battis
12-31-2019, 01:38 PM
I think that was it. I'm sure the ROA can handle it but a repro Walker? I never had any luck with conicals in my cap and ball revolvers.

rodwha
12-31-2019, 09:42 PM
I think that was it. I'm sure the ROA can handle it but a repro Walker? I never had any luck with conicals in my cap and ball revolvers.

Are those revolvers a slower twist? 1:16” does quite well, but I actually thought my Pietta would be 1:30” like they used to be so my 170 grn is just 0.400” and the 195 grn is 0.460” long so they’d likely do fine. They do fine in both revolvers at 15 yds. Not sure they’d be all that great for really long shots though. I’ve not had a range that I could shoot further without a private stall and the fee for it. But there’s still room in both cylinders so I think I’ll modify my design in a few ways, one being to lengthen it to get closer to the mouth. I’ll use more lead as filler.

rodwha
12-31-2019, 09:46 PM
56 grns with that long heavy bullet must have needed a lot of compression. This is the bullet:

http://accuratemolds.com/bullet_detail.php?bullet=45-285C-D.png

I designed it when I thought we’d be moving to Virginia, and so I figured I’d want something for bears.