PDA

View Full Version : Old Vaquero query?

georgerkahn
12-30-2019, 11:34 AM
I have been seeking some ($$$) information on a 2004-made .45 Colt Ruger Vaquero, a hi-gloss model 00573 (their catalog # KBNV-455-I). I have been unable to find, anywhere, what the m.s.r.p. for this revolver was when it was sold in 2004. I understand some of the "bibles" (e.g., Shooter's Bible, Gun Digest, etc.) had new models and prices listed -- but, I do not have these.
If you might have access, check it out, and get back to me as to what it sold for, then -- I'll surely be appreciative!
Thanks!
geo

pietro
12-30-2019, 11:44 AM

George, you can check for recently sold examples yourself via surfing various guns-only auction websites (gunbroker, gunauction, etc, etc) for "sold" old Vaquero's.

(unsold, opening bids, asking prices, reserve & buy-it-new dollar amounts are not values, they are what a seller would like to get)

There's plenty online with asking prices in the $650-$700+ range, but they all have no takers.

Pressman
12-30-2019, 11:59 AM
George, you need to own a full set of Gun Digest's. That said it looks like it went for the triple nickle, $555.00 list.

Ken

contender1
12-30-2019, 12:01 PM
Let me get into my gun room & look to see if I have the dealer price sheet for 2004. If so,, (and I think I do have it,) it will have the suggested list retail.

georgerkahn
12-30-2019, 12:51 PM
Pressman (& others :) ) -- I have been toying with adding this to my meager collection. It is encrusted in crud, looking as it never had been cleaned after being used to shoot quite the collection of ammunition. Owner told shop (buy the story, not the gun, right?) that he bought it brand new in 2005 along with three boxes of "Cowboy ammo", and that is all the ammunition which has ever been fired in it. (I can check vis County registrations if his being sole owner is in fact true.) Planning a (permanent) move to a warmer clime -- Florida -- he sold his two handguns and a rifle to the shop mid-summer, where it has been collecting dust. I'm just a tad frightened as to what might be underneath grey -- the shop has made zero attempt to clean it -- but, with some elbow grease I think it will return to its original condition. Shop owner "thinks" they went for "six or seven hundred" when new, and has a price tag of an even $500.00 on it now. (My experience is this shop ALWAYS adds fifty dollars to their "real" price, and offers (worth $35) free shipping to Internet purchases. Also, with "no credit card fees", if I offer U S cash -- that's another fifteen dollars more wiggle room for me. (Now knowing what it's m.s.r.p. was -- I may just offer a $375.00... severe ice storm here today (no unnecessary travel!), so that'll even give me another day to cog on it. (He may counter with "$400"?) It sure is a pretty revolver, sporting Ruger's faux ivory grips!
Thank you for info!
geo

Oh -- a PS: I had checked most all on-line auction sites, and only Vaqueros listed seem to be either NEW models (3-digit prefix s/n) or "exotic" models. One even listed as an "old" is not.
geo

lefty o
12-30-2019, 01:53 PM
if they cant be bothered to clean it before they put it up for sale, $350 is top dollar.

contender1
12-30-2019, 02:04 PM
Ok, I dug out my dealer price sheet for 2004.

MSRP; $595.00 Dealer; $465.00

The Original Vaquero's are built on the same frame size as the Blackhawks. Safe for Ruger only loads.

The RENE lists a production quantity of 15,000 guns of that model.

A used one,, in good shape,, is normally bringing around $500 or so. Not knowing what's under the crud,, I'd start by offering the $350-$375 suggested & see what happens. You can always go up,, The dealer can always go up,, but he can also go down!

pietro
12-30-2019, 07:09 PM
I have been toying with adding this to my meager collection.

Owner told shop (buy the story, not the gun, right?) that he bought it brand new in 2005 along with three boxes of "Cowboy ammo", and that is all the ammunition which has ever been fired in it.

with some elbow grease I think it will return to its original condition. Thank you for info!
geo[/SIZE][/FONT]

Your story tells me that the gun was used in Cowboy shooting for a long time - I wouldn't touch it at any price - UNLESS your're planning to return it to the Ruger Service Dept for a complete re-fit.

If the previous owner didn't care enough to even clean it, you can bet the internals are seriously worn (out ?).

georgerkahn
12-30-2019, 08:44 PM
Thank you again, all, and 'specially ;) contender1 for digging up and providing me real pricing info. Looks like we're pretty much on same page, too, with my thought of offering $375.00. I do believe that the three boxes of cowboy ammo were all that were fired though it -- one of the rifles the gent sold, too, was an M1 Garand which -- action-wise -- gave new meaning to "never cleaned". The fellow purportedly would buy a firearm, shoot it every chance he had for just a few days.... and, that's about it. This may get me in trouble for writing such on a site for cast bullet makers who reload ;) -- but, that only three boxes of "factory" went through it actually gives me a warm and fuzzy feeling toward it. Looks like our ice storm persists through tomorrow afternoon -- so I may just make the drive to his shop on Thursday, the 2nd.
I'll close this thread -- thankfully getting the answers to my query :) -- great site, with great people! Happy 2020 to all!
geo