PDA

View Full Version : Reloading Book Question

franklin_m
12-30-2019, 10:23 AM
About to order first reloading set. I don’t anticipate doing thousands, and I’m on a budget, so was planning on Lee Precision Anniversary set. But I’ll have to buy a reloading book to go with it, and looking for one that has data for all of the following:

- 9mm Largo
- 32 Winchester Special
- .303 British
- 7.62 x 54R
- 6.5 x 55 Swedish

All my other stuff is common calibers.

Anyone recommend on that I can get on Amazon?

12-30-2019, 10:33 AM
For the money, I'd stick with the Lee re-load manual. Extensive data available. As time passes, you'll pick up other manuals. They are like pistachios - you can't have just one. It is nice to compare load data from other manuals to make sure everything is in agreement. I use the Lee more often than not even though I have probably 10 others at my bench. You can't go wrong with the Lee.

........ and welcome aboard. You'll like this site, I'm sure.

lightman
12-30-2019, 11:05 AM
Lyman is my favorite but I admit that I posted without looking at mine to verify that the cartridges that you listed are included in it. Like 725 said, most of us have several different ones.

jaguarxk120
12-30-2019, 11:23 AM
Get the ABC"s of reloading and the Lyman book, they are the best around.
Lyman's data is tested not copied like others.
In time you will collect text's from different authors.
And for up to date data check the powder mfgr's web sites.

robg
12-30-2019, 11:25 AM
Lee kit and book is good .powder manufactures have load lists online or email them they are usually very helpful.don't trust keyboard experts.

Pressman
12-30-2019, 11:40 AM
Don't be afraid to look on eBay for older manuals, especially good for the 9mm Largo.

Or, send me a PM and we can talk older manuals.

Ken

rickyd.41Mag
12-30-2019, 12:11 PM
Lyman's 49th edition has all of your calibers except the 9mm Largo.

John Boy
12-30-2019, 12:33 PM
9mm Laro Loading Data ... http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?155727-9mm-Largo-Load

kenton
12-30-2019, 01:00 PM
Both Hodgdon and Western powders have relatively comprehensive loading data available online. I believe Hodgdon has all but the 9mm largo and Western has all but the 9mm largo and 32 Winchester Special. Alliant has some data online but it's kind of thin and not laid out very well in my opinion.

http://www.hodgdonreloading.com/

https://www.ramshot.com/load-data/

http://www.alliantpowder.com/reloaders/

mdi
12-30-2019, 01:11 PM
Welcome to the wonderful, oft confusing and frustrating world of reloading!

The Lyman 50th will have data for the cartridges you mention except the 9mm Largo (maybe?). I'm at my desk so I only have two manuals handy. The 9mm Largo is listed in my Speer #13, but not in my Lyman Cast Bullets Handbook #3. I would suggest the Lyman 50th as a first manual. It covers a wider selection of cast bullet and jacketed bullet load data. I found the Lee manual to be an interesting/entertaining read in the first half, but the data is lacking, sketchy, and I don't recommend the manual for a new reloader (except for reading the front half). For a very good text, The ABCs of Reloading is excellent for a new reloader as it explains, simply, nearly all aspects of handloading. I'd tell a new reloader to get the ABCs and the Lyman 50th to start. The ABCs will give a good "factual" start and the Lyman also has a good "How to" section plus a lot of data.

I often share my Rule #1 with newer reloaders; I pay little (no) attention to any forum expert, range rat, gun counter clerk, good intended friend, pet loads website, or gun shop guru for any load data. I get my data from published reloading manuals (except mebbe 2% from on line powder mfg sites and often compare to published info). I also keep good records of all my loads and refer back to them for subsequent loads. Over 35 years experience and never a Kaboom and only one squib.

Go slow, double check everything, and most important, have fun...

Der Gebirgsjager
12-30-2019, 03:27 PM
Another vote for the Lee manual, Modern Reloading, second edition. It's great to have multiple manuals, and I'm certain that eventually you will, but for starting with just one I'd recommend the Lee book. Why? Because it has many loads using many powders not found in all or even most manuals, and because it's one of the few that lists the pressures of the various loads. One exception being for Hodgdon powders, which are shown as "N/A" because the company did not supply the information. All of the loads shown in the Lee book were supplied to Lee by the powder companies, and Lee just compiled them into the book. An example of where this can come in handy is that it is usually desirable to keep the pressures down in some older guns while still obtaining good velocity. I load a lot of .30-40 Krag ammunition for Krag rifles, and knowledgeable sources say to keep the pressure below 48,000 psi. I found a load in Lee for a 150 gr. Jacketed bullet using Win. 748 powder providing 2,565 fps. and only generating 37,700 psi. Other manuals give you the name of the powder, the load, and the velocity, but seldom the pressure. 9mm Largo is not included in the book, but .38 Auto ( ACP) is, and information for the two cartridges is usually considered interchangeable. Note: Do not use the information for Super .38 Auto, which is more powerful. The first half of the book is a thorough and comprehensive instruction of most phases of reloading, and by the time you finish reading it you'll be well grounded in the hobby.

jaguarxk120
12-30-2019, 05:26 PM
Lee does not have a testing lab as the other book publishers have.
They just reprint someone else's work.
Powder and bullet manufacture's spend lots of time and money
to provide safe published loading data. Go to the maker of the powder or
bullets first.

Shawlerbrook
12-30-2019, 05:28 PM
They all are good and as long as it has information on the calibers you load , you are set. Personally, the Lyman and Lee books are my favorites. Don’t forget the powder and bullet companies for recipes on the web.

franklin_m
12-30-2019, 08:02 PM
Thanks everyone for the advice. I’m overseas right now in one of the “-stans”, so I’ll put in the online order and it abound be there when I get home.

I wish I had the $$ for a Rockchucker, but hopefully the Lee single stage will be good enough for a while.

Thanks again everyone.

Der Gebirgsjager
12-30-2019, 09:25 PM
Ooops! Big error on my part! The Win. 748 load is for .303 British using a 150 gr. The .30-40 load is for IMR 4831 and produces 29,800 cup. Got to thinking about it, and while patting myself on the back for treating my old Krag so nicely, I caught the mistake.

So, franklin m -- you're in the military? If so, I'd like to buy you a copy of Lee #2 as a gift. I'm always happy when a new reloader is born! PM me your stateside home mailing address, and it will be waiting for you.

The Rockchucker is indeed a good press. I have two--ran across a great sale once upon a time. They've done everything I needed to do, but I use them primarily for rifle cartridges. If you find yourself needing a little more volume than a single state press though, you might look at the Lee turret press. Relatively inexpensive, works well especially for pistol cartridges.

Stay safe over there, and thank you for your service.

DG

lightman
12-30-2019, 09:38 PM
Thanks everyone for the advice. I’m overseas right now in one of the “-stans”, so I’ll put in the online order and it abound be there when I get home.

I wish I had the $$ for a Rockchucker, but hopefully the Lee single stage will be good enough for a while.

Thanks again everyone.

Thank you for your service. Take care of yourself.

dale2242
12-31-2019, 09:18 AM
Thanks for your service.
Be careful over there...dale

mdi
12-31-2019, 12:38 PM
Ooops! Big error on my part! The Win. 748 load is for .303 British using a 150 gr. The .30-40 load is for IMR 4831 and produces 29,800 cup. Got to thinking about it, and while patting myself on the back for treating my old Krag so nicely, I caught the mistake.
With no offense meant to this poster, this is one of the reasons I suggest paying no attention to any load data on any forum on line. Poster made an honest mistake, but I have seen load data posted that was not real safe, like a suggested charge of a Unique that was a full grain over max. This "mistake" stayed on the forum for over 24 hours. I wonder how many new reloaders saw this load and thought it was OK because a member with a high post count said so...

1hole
12-31-2019, 12:52 PM
Rock Chuckers are good, fully as good as any similar single stage press. I started in '65 with a smaller Lyman and it's as useable today as it ever was. About '93 I finally swallowed the green Kool-Aid and bought an RC II, it still functions like new and will last forever ... but so do all other iron presses. However, if I had to replace it tomorrow I'd get a Lee Classic Cast, it's the best press of it's type - at any price - on today's market.

The C.C. is precisely made of iron, it's big enough and strong enough to reload .50 BMG, it handles spent primers cleanly, the lever is fully adjustable to fit the user's needs and ... it's not overly expensive for what you get; what's not to love?

Your Lee press will do everything 99% of reloaders will ever need. Unless you start re-forming cases and swaging bullets it's hardly likely you would ever know any difference if you had an RC. (Ditto for Lee's often maligned dies.)

My Lee loading manual covers more powders than others. Yes, the data IS reprinted (from reputable sources, with permission) but how in the world that's presumed to be less "accurate" than going to the original sources I don't understand. No manual is or ever can be the "gospel" truth anyway, that's why they all say to start low and work up only if there are no signs of excess pressure. Bottomline, the loader himself is fully responsible for his safety because no manual ever printed can assure that.

Note: Just saw on the web that things are popping around Iraq's embassy today. You keep your head down and know that others are praying for you and your friend's safety.

Der Gebirgsjager
12-31-2019, 04:43 PM
With no offense meant to this poster, this is one of the reasons I suggest paying no attention to any load data on any forum on line. Poster made an honest mistake, but I have seen load data posted that was not real safe, like a suggested charge of a Unique that was a full grain over max. This "mistake" stayed on the forum for over 24 hours. I wonder how many new reloaders saw this load and thought it was OK because a member with a high post count said so...

No offense is taken. BUT--did you notice that a grain amount was not given. ALSO--had I done so, either load is safe in either rifle. AND--I corrected the error, it was not brought to my attention. BUT--your input is correct and appreciated.

Bazoo
12-31-2019, 07:01 PM
Personally I do not like the lee manual as much as the Lyman. I think the Lyman explains the reloading process better. The Lyman 48 as well as the Lee manual are available for free download, but I don't have the links here on the phone. Perhaps someone that has it bookmarked could chime in on that one.

Don't pick a manual to learn reloading because it has data for the calibers you have, but rather pick a manual for it's ability to teach you to reload and then find data for the obscure calibers. Cut your teeth on a couple common calibers first before tackling anything that brass is hard to come by.

mdi
01-01-2020, 12:23 PM
Glad you understand Der Gebirgsjager. And yes there was a quick correction, thank you. One thing often overlooked on reloading forums is the number of new reloaders looking in. While posting load data is no big deal to an experienced reloader, new guys' BS filter hasn't developed enough and they may believe a forum "expert" and use the data and as I mentioned in an earlier post, not all loads are safe...

franklin_m
01-23-2020, 01:57 PM
I ended up buying both Lyman and Lee. I guess I’m well on my way to owning several eventually - as I think most everyone ends up with!

I was surprised how much info is common, how much is not common, and where they differ in same bullet type and powder!

44magLeo
01-23-2020, 03:03 PM
I have Lyman, Hornady, Sierra, manuals dating from the 70's. I have the Lee second edition. 12 all together.
I use them all on occasion. When I get a new cartridge or a new bullet, I look in all the books. I look at max loads, average them out. to get a max load, then cut by 10% for a start load.
They all will vary because they can't all use the same testing equipment. Seldom the same brass, primer or bullets.
They don't all have the same cartridges. The older books won't have the new cartridges or the new powders. They have some older cartridges that the new books don't.
I might also suggest Cartridges Of the World. It talks about a lot of older obsolete cartridges that none few of the books have. It does list a few loads for most cartridges it talks about. I find it very interesting to read. Every no and again you read about cartridges that were used in the development of new cartridges. This book has info on them. Like the 6.8 Chinese cartridge the 270 was alleged to come from.
I also have The Handloaders Manual of Cartridge Conversions. It tells how to convert one case to another. You do this for most wildcats as well as old obsolete cartridges. It gives some load data also.
Even as comprehensive as these two books are they don't list the 9mm Largo.
IMHO you can't have to many manuals. By comparing one book to another you may find mistakes in the data.
Leo

Kevin Rohrer
01-23-2020, 08:37 PM
The answer is always the same: Lyman #50.

nun2kute
01-23-2020, 09:14 PM
Franklin !!! welcome to the affliction !!!

Jniedbalski
01-23-2020, 10:23 PM
I use load data I find on the net but, I always check at least two different load books before I do. If something seems high I don’t use it. Lee reload Manuel info comes from the powder companies so I don’t know why people thank its not as accurate as the actual powder companies. It’s the same info. As far as the lee classic kit it’s the same kit I bought 30 years ago. I kind of always wanted a progressive press but the lee still workes like it did new. I have sat down and loaded 500 to 1000 pistole or 500 rifle rounds with it. Yes I get bored with it so I only do batches. One night deprime And resize cases. Next night prime. Next night you know the rest. I also get the kids involved with sizing and depriming or sizing bullets when I get tired. The lee classic kit is the cheapest compleat way to start reloading. The lee book is probably the most used. It is almost completely worn out. My other books look new. my Lyman cast books are also well used. Also I also look at hodgen’s online site a lot also. You can’t go wrong with this set for a first time set up or thirty years from now.

Three44s
01-23-2020, 10:51 PM
For a newbie to rifle loading I recommend the Hornady manual.

If there is one thing all newbies seem to have trouble understanding, it is headspace.

The Hornady manual has a colorized line drawings and written explanation of the issue.

This is foundational knowledge that must be understood before you even think about primer and powder choices.

The Lee manual is very good for lots of load data. The data is furnished to Lee by the powder companies so it is quite accurate and legimet as well.

Three44s

44magLeo
01-24-2020, 12:06 PM
I see you are loading mostly foreign military rounds.
The 303 British and 6.5 x 55 Swede are quite popular and not hard to find good brass without spending a fortune.
I load the 7.62x54R myself. The PPU brass is good brass. The Norma is very good but you pay for it. The Sellier & Bellot is good brass once you ream the primer pockets deep enough for us made primers. Not hard to do with a good reamer but time consuming.
Your 9mm Largo is an interesting cartridge. I did a bit of research and found it is also called the 9mm Bayard. A cartridge from 1903 used by the Danish and Spanish. It is ballistically close to the 9mm Luger or 9x19. The case is just longer. A hair over 23mm long.
You might find brass for it somewhere, I haven't checked myself but Star Line might make it. If not you might be able to use 9mmx23 brass. A slightly different cartridge, the case is slightly shorter.
The 9mm Winchester Magnum is a case close but longer.
Find load data shouldn't be hard My books say you can use 380 ACP or 9mm Luger loads as a stating point.
Leo

Froogal
01-29-2020, 03:32 PM
I have both the Lee manual, and the Lyman manual. If you can have just ONE reloading manual, get the LEE.

franklin_m
02-02-2020, 08:19 PM
Thanks for the advice. I ended up getting both Lyman and Lee. Glad I did.

trapper9260
02-02-2020, 08:36 PM
Here is a link to some on the 9mm Largo https://loaddata.com/articles/PDF/LD-34%20Campbell%20LR.pdf https://www.ingunowners.com/forums/ammunition-reloading/331935-9mm-largo-loading-data.html http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?195412-Any-one-load-for-9mm-Largo https://bobshellsblog.blogspot.com/2008/08/9mm-largo.html https://www.shootingtimes.com/editorial/cartridge-review-9x23-winchester/99601

franklin_m
02-05-2020, 07:11 PM
You guys are a huge help, thank you.

As for the “affliction?” No kidding!