PDA

View Full Version : Blowing out collapsed or buckled shoulders

747 captain
12-30-2019, 06:52 AM
Is it possible to blow out a collapsed shoulder on a case? I mean with a full powder load and corn meal?

cwlongshot
12-30-2019, 08:05 AM
Absolutely... BUT. Its seeing some extra fatigue and as its usually not something irreplaceable isnt it better to just pitch it?

CW

DHDeal
12-30-2019, 11:31 AM
I'll say maybe. A good dent or smiley face may or may not clean up. Sometimes its best to just chunk it.

I've been there and have had mixed results. I don't fireform with cornmeal or any other fillers so the cases I've tried to save were with powder and bullets. Collapsed shoulders can be even more problematic than dents.

Being a 223AI owner/shooter (and few other wildcats) I've quite a bit of experience in foreforming and blowing cases out.

MT Gianni
12-30-2019, 03:59 PM
3 gr of bullseye and a toilet paper wad will do it. No reason for a full load. I agree with the toss it if it is commercially available.

Elroy
12-30-2019, 04:20 PM
If it's dented and chambers you could,but if it's buckled it probably wont even chamber.

Hick
12-30-2019, 09:44 PM
I've done that with moderately deformed brass (dents, not cuts). I just load like normal (bullets, not cornmeal) using one of my loads that are not too close to maximum (dents will raise the pressure some).

myg30
12-30-2019, 09:54 PM
My first batch of 25-20 formed from 32-20, i had several with shoulders that were pushed in from to much lube on them when resizing, also crease in neck. I figured 1 loading and they were scrap. I was wrong. I had good luck with the shoulder and necks getting pushed back out when firing it with a boolit and a lower mid range charge. Most of those were reloaded a few times before the neck split.

Mike

DHDeal
12-31-2019, 01:06 AM
When the OP stated "collapsed" shoulder, my mental picture is a buckled case. If it is I'm not sure it would even chamber. Maybe I misunderstood his definition.

dahermit
12-31-2019, 06:19 PM
When the OP stated "collapsed" shoulder, my mental picture is a buckled case. If it is I'm not sure it would even chamber. Maybe I misunderstood his definition.

He may have meant lube dents.

john.k
12-31-2019, 06:32 PM
Ive reformed cases that had the neck pushed back inside the case in forming......youd only bother with big ,rare ,hard to make cases.......If you anneal the case well before ,there is no adverse effect .There are various ways to do it,apart from firing.

Stuckcase
02-09-2020, 11:07 AM
Mentioned above
3-5 gr Red dot or fast type powder--cornmeal and a wad of toilet paper in the case mouth