PDA

View Full Version : Lee Hand Press questions

wch
12-29-2019, 04:54 PM
1. Can I use Lee Precision dies in the Lee hand press?
2. And if so, can I use the Lee Precision dies to load 22 K Hornet cartridges?
Thanks.

Der Gebirgsjager
12-29-2019, 05:18 PM
Yes, & yes. Assuming you have the 22 K Hornet dies.

gwpercle
12-29-2019, 06:19 PM
I'm looking through the Lee catalog and I don't see any dies listed for K-Hornet .
They show standard 22 Hornet die sets , case trimmers etc , but nothing for the K-Hornet .
K-Hornet may have to be a special order from Lee .
Do you have dies ?
Gary

Der Gebirgsjager
12-29-2019, 07:43 PM
Almost any brand of dies will work for you if in that cartridge. RCBS, CH, Lyman, etc. Lee will make custom dies for you, as will most companies. They'll want one or two cartridges to work with--no powder or primer. All of the more common dies will work in the Lee Hand Press.

wch
12-29-2019, 07:48 PM
Thanks to all who answered.

Bazoo
12-29-2019, 11:21 PM
One of the negatives I've found from my use of the lee hand press is it's spring. When seating 30-30 bullets, I have all the same brand brass and trimmed for consistent crimp, there is a little runout, maybe .002 or less. With 45 acp, using mixed untrimmed brass I get .005 give or take. It's the difference in the resistance of different brass causing a varied amount of give in the press.

The only other complaint I have is hard sizing of larger cases like 30-06. I size 30-30 okay, but anything larger, while doable, needs a lot of effort to full length resize. One of the things I do to help this is use Hornady one shot case lube. It seems Hornady lube takes less effort to size than the imperial I normally like.

W.R.Buchanan
01-01-2020, 05:34 PM
One of the negatives I've found from my use of the lee hand press is it's spring. When seating 30-30 bullets, I have all the same brand brass and trimmed for consistent crimp, there is a little runout, maybe .002 or less. With 45 acp, using mixed untrimmed brass I get .005 give or take. It's the difference in the resistance of different brass causing a varied amount of give in the press.

The only other complaint I have is hard sizing of larger cases like 30-06. I size 30-30 okay, but anything larger, while doable, needs a lot of effort to full length resize. One of the things I do to help this is use Hornady one shot case lube. It seems Hornady lube takes less effort to size than the imperial I normally like.

You won't have any of those problems, or any other problems, with the BPM Hand Press. I designed all of the problems with the Lee Press, and several other tools, out of my tool when I designed it. It will size virtually any case below .50 BMG. I have one guy who reloads .577 Nitro Express and all the Long Sharps cartridges on one, and does it by the campfire in Namibia.

The cost is a one time investment that you will never regret. No one has returned one yet and we are at #187 shipped, and counting.

Go look at the videos on your other thread, that will show you what is there.

And Happy New Year!

Randy

Jniedbalski
01-01-2020, 05:53 PM
Looks like a very very well made press. Over built . Will probably last three or four life times and still will work good. To bad I already have three lee presses.