PDA

View Full Version : Any better ideas?

Potsy
11-11-2008, 11:50 PM
So I picked up my new #1 .45-70 a couple of weeks ago. Finally got around to casting a few 350 grain Ranch Dogs today and loaded one. I had read on here that #1's had a non-existant throat so I only loaded one; sure enough, it wouldn't chamber.

I suspected that the Ranch Dogs could be too wide too far forward, but I really like the look of the bullet and the price, and I'd love to make it work.

The lands marked the bullet about .130" forward of the cast mouth. I'm thinking about just trimming that much (give or take) off the cases, starting my loads a little lower, and going on.

This is my only .45-70 and my only .45-70 mold. If I decide to shoot any other bullet, I'll just buy more brass.

Other than trimming cases, does anyone have any better ideas?

missionary5155
11-12-2008, 06:04 AM
#1 You did not mention the lead mix .. a more pure lead mix will drop a smalller boolit.
#2 Well you could go to Bullet Exchange and get some samples...
#3 I would just shorten brass and CLEARLY mark it for that rifle. As you said you like the boolit. With all the powders available you should be able to get 1600+ fps and there are few critters that will take more than 1 of those properly placed.

Mumblypeg
11-12-2008, 06:47 AM
I just got that mould also and am shooting it in a #1. I cast with 4parts WW to 1 part Linotype over 26.0grs of 2400. It's snug but chambers. Shoots good, don't kick much. Don't know what the vel. is, don't have a crony.

Potsy
11-12-2008, 02:25 PM
Well, I was finally bright enough to realize with the bullet tapering in toward the front, I probably wouldn't have to trim as much off as I thought.
I looked and I don't have a #14 shellholder for an RCBS TrimPro on hand (DANG!!).
Someday I'm gonna get to shoot this thing and I'll be sure to let everyone know how it turns out.