PDA

View Full Version : Rust on a Powder measure

RP
12-29-2019, 01:44 AM
I have two that had a film of rust on them I took them apart clean all the rust off they are working smooth but clean dry metal needs protection. What is the suggested oil or coating to use to keep the rust away.

I am thinking JPW to protect the metal but unsure and would a dry lube prevent rust ? yea I should know but I like some input.

Shawlerbrook
12-29-2019, 08:46 AM
How about wax ?

georgerkahn
12-29-2019, 09:05 AM
I'll agree and endorse Shawlerbrook's suggestion! I had a similar challenge as you experienced vis rust, and used a felt bob on a Dremel to get rid of it. Actually, it appeared that the bit of oxidation (rust) worked as a polishing compound, too, as I ended up with almost-mirror like surfaces. I applied a wax product marketed by Flitz, 253832 leaving it on before buffing, overnight. The next day, using a soft cloth, I buffed it a bit, and have not since noticed any rust. "Worked for me."
geo

Carrier
12-29-2019, 10:49 AM
Hornady One Shot has worked well for all my reloading equipment.

Petrol & Powder
12-29-2019, 10:59 AM
I keep oil away from the drums on powder measures.

A good wax that doesn't contain abrasives is the way to go.

elmacgyver0
12-29-2019, 11:03 AM
Why not treat the source, not the symptom?
Get a good dehumidifier.

Petrol & Powder
12-29-2019, 11:23 AM
Why not treat the source, not the symptom?
Get a good dehumidifier.
Well, yes....but in the meantime....

lightman
12-29-2019, 11:50 AM
A good coat of automotive wax should work. I have used Silicon spray with good results.

mdi
12-29-2019, 01:49 PM
Depends on which parts of the powder measure you want protected. I wouldn't want anything on the drum or in the reservoir that would affect powder or cause it to clog/clump. I have used "museum wax" on some tools, but not with anything dealing with powder. One thought is a plastic bag with a desiccant, at least until you find a permanent method. Or if the drum and ID are rusting, perhaps drop a desiccant bag in the reservoir and replace the top to keep the innards dry (don't ferget to take the bag out afore dumping powder).....

onelight
12-29-2019, 01:59 PM
On the outside I would use Hornady one shot it dries to a waxy film , have always used graphite on the inside of measures.

Petrol & Powder
12-29-2019, 03:59 PM
Graphite is a fine dry lubricant but it will not prevent rust.
The OP's issue isn't lubrication, it's rust prevention.

GregLaROCHE
12-29-2019, 04:36 PM
You should start with cold bluing, then some of the other things mentioned,if needed.

Winger Ed.
12-29-2019, 05:02 PM
Wax it like ya would a car when its out on the bench being used.

As humid as it is there, you might have to oil and pack it away like a Iron mold when not in use.

str8wal
12-29-2019, 05:05 PM
What maker of PM?

super6
12-29-2019, 05:36 PM
Use Certified dri lube plus. Moly dry film lube .

Green Frog
12-29-2019, 06:05 PM
I like to keep mine clean and dry with just a light dusting of Graphite powder (like locksmiths use) as lubricant.

Froggie

Wayne Smith
12-29-2019, 06:21 PM
I keep mine in the HVAC in the house and haven't had a problem with rusting.

RP
12-29-2019, 10:05 PM
Thanks for all the replies I think wax is going to be the product to use for me.

onelight
12-29-2019, 11:59 PM
Look at Johnson's paste furniture wax in the yellow can it is what I use on table saw and joiner tables it is slick and will prevent rust if applied often enough.

mdi
12-31-2019, 12:51 PM
I just checked my stash in my shop. The wax I have is "Renaissance" micro-crystilline wax polish. Aka museum wax. I have used it on knives' blades and tools that don't get used often.

375supermag
01-01-2020, 09:11 AM
Hi...
I have had rust issues with Hornady presses and measures in my climate controlled reloading room. Strange thing is the RCBS and Dillon equipment in the same room never has never had any rust issues.
I think it has something to do with the type of metal that Hornady uses... We use Hornady One Shot on all the Hornady equipment.

John Boy
01-01-2020, 11:41 AM
What is the suggested oil or coating to use to keep the rust away.
Eezox ... https://www.eezox.com/
A few years back, I cleaned a pad of steel wool, sprayed it with Eezox and set it on a bulkhead 100 ft from the Atlantic Ocean. Nine months later, there was minimal rust on the steel wool pad

Blindshooter
01-02-2020, 08:41 PM
Not really an answer but I have found that letting a fan run in the shop constantly pretty much keeps the rust from forming. Maybe it moderates the temp/humidity swings? I run a window unit when its hot so that keeps the humidity down in the summer but I don't heat it unless I'm going to be working in the shop. I read somewhere (maybe here?) about the fan idea and for the last year or so I've had no problems.

1hole
01-02-2020, 09:49 PM
Any carnauba wax will work as well for a dry lube and rust protector as any other. A small can of Kiwi "Neutral" shoe wax will last you forever and is less costly than a bigger can of JPW. I'd apply 3 coats on bare metal, each well buffed, to insure coverage. My iron top table saw has proven that spray silicon, such as that from WD-40, is worthless for rust protection - and standard WD-40 isn't much better.

It seems most indoor rust occurs when warm, moisture laden air condenses and water molecules fall on exposed (cool) metal surfaces. I've had excellent rust protection in humid Florida just by draping a bath towel over whatever is tending to rust. (Don't use a plastic sheet or bag, that seems to cause more water sweating and rust than the towels.)