PDA

View Full Version : round ball in .45LC case

pakmc
12-28-2019, 10:12 PM
I'm not having any luck in getting a .452-3 round ball to stay in a LC cace, any one tried that yet? and how did it turn out? I can go up to a .457ball(which I haven't tried yet) it should bring the recoil down to about nothing!ok.ok I'm just getting old and enjoying the Black powder pistols and thinking what If I could do this with a newer revolver. and no I wouldn't be using black powder, Trail boss or 231. the new revolvers don't like Black powder at all. I tried to load and shoot some 3Fg in my .327 mag. and two shots later the cylinder wouldnt turn at all.
any one?

Outpost75
12-28-2019, 11:11 PM
A .452-.453 ball will have only minimal tangent contact with the bore and probably won't shoot as well as a larger diameter which will have a longer bearing surface upon entering the barrel. In my .45 Colts I use .457 round balls I cast for my Ruger Old Army, seat them flush to the case mouth with 5 grains of Bullseye, and use the Redding Profile Crimp to size the ball by compression inside the case. I smear a BB-sized blob of bullet lube over the ball and around the case mouth, and this shoots well in my Colt New Service M1909, but strikes low on the target due to the light bullet.

Alferd Packer
12-29-2019, 01:35 PM
Just paper patch the ball.
Lay a cross of paper made by two strips of cut paper over the case mouth and press in the ball taking the strips with it.
Then just tear off or cut the tails flush with the case edge.
Then just put a dab of bullet lube, alox or crisco,whatever on top of the ball.
You could also roll the lead balls in alox and let them dry on wax paper overnite.
The ball would probably be held in the case mouth if you sized the case and flared it enough to hold the ball when pressed in.

pakmc
12-29-2019, 03:37 PM
thanks thats an interesting idea.
Pat

megasupermagnum
12-29-2019, 07:29 PM
I'm not having any luck in getting a .452-3 round ball to stay in a LC cace, any one tried that yet? and how did it turn out? I can go up to a .457ball(which I haven't tried yet) it should bring the recoil down to about nothing!ok.ok I'm just getting old and enjoying the Black powder pistols and thinking what If I could do this with a newer revolver. and no I wouldn't be using black powder, Trail boss or 231. the new revolvers don't like Black powder at all. I tried to load and shoot some 3Fg in my .327 mag. and two shots later the cylinder wouldnt turn at all.
any one?

I can't help with 45 colt, but I have had minimal problems shooting blackpowder in double action revolvers. I've shot as many as 200 rounds of FFFg in my GP100 327 federal. The load I believe was around 18 grains Goex, and the bullet a 137 grain SWC lubed with 50/50 beeswax/crisco. I have to wonder if you didn't experience primers backing out, rather than powder problems? I beleive I was using Federal 100 primers.

pakmc
12-29-2019, 08:38 PM
I have both the -GP-100 AND the SP 101 in .327. both are fine pistols(revolvers) but after two shots with regular primer and 3Fg powder the gun jammed up. it's taken me a while to get it fairly close to right! I still have a few of the loaded shells that I loaded. if you close, you can try them. ok, your not very close! o well, thats life.

rockrat
12-29-2019, 08:44 PM
Try powder coating to increase diameter

RU shooter
12-30-2019, 11:00 AM
Seat the ball slightly deeper in the case and apply a slight crimp .

Anonym
12-31-2019, 02:07 PM
I had good luck with sending the roundball through a 0.454 sizing die. It squished it a little and gave it more bearing surface for the bore. Helps with a larger ball regardless. My 45 Colt likes 454 balls...