PDA

View Full Version : Trail Boss

chuck40219
12-28-2019, 06:27 PM
is it temperature sensitive?

I would like to develop some loads with it this winter.

Temps will not be to low, 35* would be the lower limit.

The older I get the less I like cold temps.

Summer high might be 95*.

357 mag.,44 mag., 45-70

chuck40219

richhodg66
12-28-2019, 08:30 PM
Serious question; what do you expect to get from Trail boss in those calibers that Unique or a lot of other tried and true powders have been doing for years?

I guess I just don't understand the fascination everybody has for it.

DDJ
12-29-2019, 10:00 AM
I use it in my light 45 Colt loads mainly fior the case fill it gives. I shoot it mainly in the summer and haven't had any problems with it

Froogal
12-29-2019, 10:44 AM
Trail Boss delivers slightly less recoil than some other powders. I use 4 grains under a 158 grain bullet in .38 specials for a very pleasurable afternoon of plinking, and no sore wrists or hands when done. Other than the recoil factor, Trail Boss is not much different than most other powders.

joe leadslinger
12-29-2019, 10:59 AM
I load 308 WIN with Trail Boss and 90 grn. Boolits for short range plinking and very light recoil. I'm like you, I have no desire to go out in the cold ie freezing temps, I can only say I have shot them with temps in the low 40's.

12-29-2019, 11:13 AM
You will like it, for light loads.

I have not noticed any Temp Sensitivities. But, I do not generally have temp sensitivity problems with any powder, because I, myself, am temp sensitive. I only shoot when it is within the range of temperatures that you mentioned.

I use it for light rifle loads, and generally hand weigh it when first developing the load, but then I run it through a LEE Perfect Powder Measure, or a Dillon. IE: 30-30, 38-55, 300 Whisper.

Red Dot, Bullseye, and TiteGroup are what I use for pistol loads-I prefer Red Dot.

It is unlikely you will ever accidentally double charge a case with TrailBoss.

The biggest issues for me with Trail Boss are:
It is more expensive than other powders.
It behaves a lot like Clays and produces quite a bit of pressure, relative to bullet velocity, for a light load, check the load data.

veeman
12-29-2019, 11:22 AM
I use 4.5 for my 44-40 CAS loads, pleasant shooting and accurate.

Shuz
12-29-2019, 03:29 PM
Serious question; what do you expect to get from Trail boss in those calibers that Unique or a lot of other tried and true powders have been doing for years?

I guess I just don't understand the fascination everybody has for it. the fascination I have with it is it's ability prevent leading if boolit size and hardness is not optimal for that gun.

dtknowles
12-29-2019, 05:25 PM

I guess I just don't understand the fascination everybody has for it.

It makes a double charge more obvious in light loads. Light loads of other fast powders are not a obvious. Because of its bulk it is less position sensitive. I don't use it much, just in my antique 44-40 revolver.

Tim

shaner
12-29-2019, 05:27 PM
Used trail boss for years in 45lc and 38spl. Cowboy loads. Never noticed anything temp sensitive

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

swheeler
01-01-2020, 01:44 PM
I've got 40 458 Win Mag loaded up with TB and 340 gr Lee right now, just got to get out and test them.

I've shot it in the 8x56R M95 with a plain base 270 gr cast bullet, just subsonic and it was quite accurate, quiet and hardly any recoil, would have been great for brush busting deer hunt.

georgerkahn
01-01-2020, 02:27 PM
Secondly ;), chuck40219, I surely do agree with you re the correlation of cold temps and (my) age! To give my answer to your query, both .44 Rem Mag and .45 Colt cases seem, to me, quite HUGE when using the scant amount of powder to propel light loads in each.
To diminish extra, unnecessary space, I've switched to .44 S&W Special cases; and, .45 S&W Schofield brass (for light loads) in these, respectively. Using Trail Boss diminishes "air space" in the cartridges, also giving the bonus of making double-charges pretty much an impossibility.
The one and only think I dislike about Trail Boss is -- in my reloading room -- it's affinity to be static electricity prone. Yes, sometimes it is a tad of a challenge to measure precisely at a rapid pace -- e.g., as opposed to using, say, Bullseye. An extra step in my loading, which adds perhaps a half-minute to each round, (using a Dillon 550b), is I remove the case from press after an intentional slightly "under" charge is added by the powder charge stage; put case on a De-terminator scale, and use a Hornady trickler to bring charge exactly to where I desire it. (I am kind of OCD re powder weight! -- but, get a warm and fuzzy feeling knowing then that all my cases have same powder weight).
Well, that's the where's and why's re my use of Trail Boss! I've shot both calibers in ambient temps ranging from ~15*F to ~88*F, and I have noticed no significant velocity differences as recorded on my PACT or OEHLER chronographs.
BEST!
geo