PDA

View Full Version : Matthew and American pie

Boaz
12-28-2019, 08:22 AM
I put up Matthew 9 this morning and was studying it . Since we started reading the new testament it has raised my spirits . Like you I waited to reach it . Having reread the old testament and understanding 'human' nature better with it's self serving leanings . We have not changed .

Many consider GOD to be cruel and heartless in the old testament . Willing to destroy men and even whole nations . But were they not Warned ? Were they not given the law ? Did GOD himself not send prophets , angels , miracles and his word to save them ? When they stumbled did he not try to pick them up ? David would be a prime example .

Judges 21:25

In those days there was no king in Israel: every man did that which was right in his own eyes.

Reread the book of Proverbs , use it with Matthew's account . All through the old testament GOD tries to guide us . Proverbs is only a small part of it . We complain and worry about the path of our country ...even the whole world . But it begins with us , not the world . We know what to expect from the world from the old testament also , we are forewarned .

When Jesus was born Israel was in chaos , managed by a country (Rome) of pagans that worshiped idols . Leaders of Israel were chosen among the self serving and evil . GOD hates evil . This was the world our Lord and Savior was born into to save us .

Today's reading of Matthew 9 ends like this ;
The Workers Are Few
35 Jesus went through all the towns and villages, teaching in their synagogues, proclaiming the good news of the kingdom and healing every disease and sickness. 36 When he saw the crowds, he had compassion on them, because they were harassed and helpless, like sheep without a shepherd. 37 Then he said to his disciples, “The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few. 38 Ask the Lord of the harvest, therefore, to send out workers into his harvest field.”

We are GOD's plan . It begins with us . No matter what you think it begins with us .

As an odd departure for me I offer the old 60's classic to dwell on . Even looked up one with words , you have heard it many times but have you ever thought about it ?

........................https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BGJqo_bkAuM

buckwheatpaul
12-28-2019, 08:31 AM
Thank you Charlie....as usual you hit the nail on the head....it all begins with us and the necessity to witness to others!

USMC87
12-28-2019, 10:14 AM
Amen!

Thundarstick
12-28-2019, 11:13 AM
If those around you know you are a follower of Christ, your best testimony is to live a life worthy of the name you have chosen.

Blackwater
01-04-2020, 07:09 PM
Amen, Thundar! There are 4 people still living in my church (all in their 80's now) who I always looked to as examples I wanted to try to follow. I may not have followed quite "in their footsteps," but their example surely helped keep me from going "bad" on many occasions. I pray for them nightly. They've merited it in my case, for sure.

Thundarstick
01-04-2020, 09:02 PM
A different example. I work with a woman who claims to be a Christian who post some of the nastiest sexual related things on her Facebook page you've never seen! I don't do Facebook, but another coworker showed me. I'm by no means perfect, far from it! I wouldn't think she has little testimony to anyone on Facebook, or perhaps she is giving her testimony.

Wayne Smith
01-05-2020, 01:49 PM
Jesus said that we would be ambassadors of Him - but made no comment about the quality of our ambassadorship. I know I've failed more than a few times.