PDA

View Full Version : Star Sizer anybody know what this part is for?

2ndAmendmentNut
12-27-2019, 04:10 PM
I bought a star sizer off of gunbroker a few weeks ago and am just now setting it up. I watched the videos on Magmas website and got the sizer working beautifully. The part shown in the picture came in the box with the sizer, but no instructions, and I cannot see what it is used for on any of the Star sizer videos.

GBertolet
12-27-2019, 04:19 PM
It's for pulling the die out of the machine when you want to change out the die. The small knurled threaded piece screws into the ram, replacing the top punch, and the rod is inserted up through the bottom of the die, being screwed into the knurled piece. This way when you raise the ram, it pulls out the die from the top. Don't forget to loosen the set screw, that locks the die in place.

454PB
12-27-2019, 04:28 PM
It's also helpful to warm the lubrisizer before pulling the die. Mine is in a cold room, and the lube becomes quite stiff. I have a home made heater under the sizer that I turn on for a few minutes before use and/or changing sizer dies.

GBertolet
12-27-2019, 04:35 PM
I like using a cheap heat gun to warm the sizer. It only takes a minute.

ReloaderFred
12-27-2019, 05:52 PM
There's a part missing from the die puller. There should be a 1/4x20 threaded piece of metal, like a bolt with the head cut off. This is used to push the last bullet out of the die you're going to pull. If that part wasn't included, then just cut the head off a 2" long 1/4x20 bolt and dress up the cut off end.

Once you screw the knurled piece into where the top punch goes, screw in the straight 1/4x20 piece and push the bullet in the die out the bottom. Then remove that piece and screw in the larger piece from the bottom and remove the sizing die.

Hope this helps.

Fred

6bg6ga
12-28-2019, 07:37 AM
Once you warm the die in most cases you don't need the extra parts to remove the die. I have a piece of bar stock that I stick under the die and gently push up and the die comes right out and this is with the top punch not being moved.