PDA

View Full Version : Schofield reproduction owners

barnabus
12-26-2019, 10:57 AM
anyone here have a Schofield revolver and how do you like it? Looking for something different to play with.

Outpost75
12-26-2019, 11:21 AM
Had a Uberti .45 Colt which popped open even with factory cowboy loads, so I sold it. Replaced it with a Cimarron Frontier Colt SA clone by Pietta which I love and recommend.

Dan Cash
12-26-2019, 11:59 AM
I have a Stoger marked, Uberti built Schofield that is quite accurate and has proven very serviceable over the 10 years I have owned it; I bought it used. I do not hot rod my .45 Colt ammo. The Schofield has digested somewhere in the neighborhood of 2000 rounds and is as tight as when I bought it. I did remove the odious "safety" junk from the lock work and have no problem with the revolver since. The "safety" system would sometimes jam the action and did not build confidence like an empty chamber under the hammer. I like the gun very much though I prefer the feel of a SAA better and the feel of an N frame S&W the best.

one-eyed fat man
12-26-2019, 12:11 PM
I have both the Uberti version of the S&W #3 in .44 Russian and their Schofield. No problems shooting "standard" smokeless loads in either. Uberti made the cylinders longer so they could accommodate .44 Special, .44-40 and .45 Colt. The modern versions of "original" cartridges not generally available. This makes them problematic with black powder, but shooting the "cowboy" loadings makes them pretty pleasant playthings.

Der Gebirgsjager
12-26-2019, 01:38 PM
I have a Cimarron-Uberti in .44-40. No complaints. Fun to shoot, and quite accurate. I reduce the load a bit.
Click to enlarge.

DG

Walks
12-26-2019, 02:05 PM
I too have a "Schofield" made by Uberti about 18yrs ago. My gun has no Safety. Never seen one with a Safety.
NEVER had My Revolver pop open under any circumstances.
But then I've almost never shot anything hotter then the Lyman Max STD load of #454190 - 255gr bullet over 9.0grs of Unique.
Did try a little Hotter load once: 50rds of #452423 over a bit more then listed in an old Lyman Manual. No Problems, except the recoil drove the Revolver grip down into my hand. Breaking my grip so I had to reposition my hand for each shot. So gave it up.
These Days I use .45S&W brass for the #3. Makes round/load Identification simpler.

My STD Cowboy load for;
.45Colt is 230gr RNFP - 5.0grs Clays
.45S&W is 230gr RNFP - 4.5grs Titegroup

The .45Colt Load will shoot to P.O.I. at 25yrds in My right-hand Vaquero 7 1/2" bbl.

NEVER tried the other load on paper, with any Revolver but the#3. It hits 2" high at 50ft. But it hits steel every time, in every gun.

kaiser
12-26-2019, 06:23 PM
I have a 7" Schofield in a .38 Special. It has an excellent fit and finish. The Uberti replica is very accurate and fun to shoot with standard loads. The weight on the 7" is definitely weight forward, which helps with accuracy, and recoil is very pleasant. I was advised not to shoot +P loads due to the weaker "break action", but with the longer barrel most of my loads are around 850 to 900fps with the loads it likes. BTW, Uberti's model of the Schofield allows you to safely carry 6 rounds in the cylinder.

ACC
12-26-2019, 08:01 PM
My brother had one in .38 special. Even the pitiful 158 grain round nose was to much for it. After about three boxes of this ammo the top latch broke so he sent it back to the company. They fixed it but put a note in the box that this pistol is only meant for cowboy loads. Nothing over 700FPS. I remember how mad he was.

ACC

El Bibliotecario
12-27-2019, 06:10 PM
I have a Uberti Schofield. The only safety system I can find is the half cock. The sights aren't much--which is to say they are authentic to the weapon. The revolver shoots low, but the front sight appears to be a separate pinned blade, so could be replaced with one of proper height (and possibly wide enough to see).

My revolver has a 3 1/2" barrel, which gives me better handling characteristics than the longer barreled models, with so much of their weight forward.

I have found my revolver fits holsters for modern N frame Smith and Wessons, and readily accepts the Tyler T grip for N frames.

Beecherkid
12-28-2019, 11:16 AM
253768Here is my Mdl No.3 Schofield 7" 38Spl. from Cimarron Firearms Co. It has about 1000 rounds of my target 148 grain HBWC through it without any problems. I use the light loads only because I find them more pleasurable to shoot. The front sight did need some file work to bring the poi up to my sight picture. I find this revolver was worth its purchase price.

Good Cheer
12-29-2019, 04:46 AM
Years ago was told that Uberti initially produced their break top with a frame to suit a Schofield cylinder length and then soon lengthened the frame to accommodate production in longer case cartridges.