PDA

View Full Version : Scope a 28-2

Divedigger
12-26-2019, 06:59 AM
I bought a sw28-2 6 in and was wanting to know how to mount a scope. Do you use the screws that hold the rear sights on for a base mount and what mount to use. Thanks

Tatume
12-26-2019, 08:17 AM
Congratulation on your acquisition of a very nice revolver.

Your Highway Patrolman was made between 1961 and 1968. It was not drilled and tapped by the factory for base mounting. Swing out the cylinder and look at the bottom of the top strap. If a previous owner had it drilled and tapped, you'll be able to see the holes. If there are none, you'll have to hire a gunsmith to drill and tap your top strap. I suggest the Weig-a-Tinny base by Jack Weigand.

https://www.jackweigand.com/swhpmnt.html

The web site even has a video on how to drill and tap the revolver.

Take care, Tom

Buzz Krumhunger
12-26-2019, 10:01 AM
S&W N frames made since the early 1990s come drilled and tapped from the factory, FWIW. The front end of the rear sight on the D&T ones is rounded instead of square. Myself, I’d look for one of those secondhand instead of spending money modifying a nice old M28.

jaguarxk120
12-26-2019, 10:06 AM
Smith 28's have a high value today due to the limited production
numbers. Drilling the top strap for a scope mount will decrease
the value greatly. Go out and find a GP100 and mount a scope on that.
Check the asking prices on Guns International

NSB
12-26-2019, 11:08 AM
Smith 28's have a high value today due to the limited production
numbers. Drilling the top strap for a scope mount will decrease
the value greatly. Go out and find a GP100 and mount a scope on that.
Check the asking prices on Guns International

There's no disagreement on that D&T could effect the value of the gun, but that's something that deserves a little more thought. The Model 28 was a very good gun and they seem to be pretty desirable to some people (I had a Model 27 and it was a great gun). It's not like the gun becomes worthless, and I doubt it's anyone's life savings either. If someone wants that gun somewhere down the road it might lose fifty bucks in value. People who want one and can't find one will accept the extra hole in the top strap. I've bought and sold more guns that I can even remember. A lot of them were guns like this that had some modification done to them and I never found that I lost very much because of it. If it were a very rare model gun it would have a lot more impact. If the OP wants to DT his gun and he gets years of enjoyment out of shooting it that way, what's fifty or a hundred bucks in the long run? He might just as well do it and enjoy the gun while he has it. It's a different story if he's buying it this week and selling it next week. I don't think he'll lose anything on it, it's not a rare collectors item....at least not yet.

arlon
12-26-2019, 11:54 AM
I'm in the "if you want to shoot and not collect it, drill it" category if it is a "shooter grade" gun. Yes it will affect value by maybe as much as $50. But it also might sell faster and for same money to someone else that would like a nice old S&W that they can actually shoot. As my eyes age, I can appreciate a nice old model 28 that I could easily scope. I have a few model 28s myself but I also have some later model guns that are drilled and tapped shooters.

There are a few very early model 28-2s (S serial number prefix) that might have more collector value. If I had a mint in the box 28-2 with an S prefix and matching diamond magna stocks on it, I WOULD NOT drill that one. Shooter grade N prefix and I'd have less of a problem scoping it.

Tatume
12-26-2019, 12:16 PM
Didn't figure it was any of my business to give advice on whether or not you should drill and tap your revolver. I figure you want my opinion on that, you'll ask.

JonB_in_Glencoe
12-26-2019, 01:28 PM
I wouldn't put a scope on a Mod 28...But that's your business, not mine.
Here is a good video, that may answer some of your questions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ATwZg8jA648

boatbum101
12-26-2019, 01:46 PM
As stated above if it's a high condition gun with all the original numbered goodies don't do it , especially an S prefix S/N . Shooter grade go for it . The Wiegand mount is a good one & reasonably priced . You will have to get top strap dilled & tapped . IMHO a dash 2 with a 6" barrel would make a good knockaround woods gun . You can shoot full pressure loads , older barrel great with cast . They were dirt cheap for many years & many were used to make custom conversions to other calibers . All that said if you are unable to keep loads at or below SAAMI MAP , you'll be better served with a Ruger

Divedigger
12-27-2019, 03:16 PM
I bought a sw28-2 6 in and was wanting to know how to mount a scope. Do you use the screws that hold the rear sights on for a base mount and what mount to use. Thanks
A lot of good thoughts to consider from probably over 200yrs of combined knowledge.
Yep its a N5707 but w Pachmayr Presentation grips and came in a Safariland 158 flaptop holster where it looks like thats been its home, small amount of muzzle finish wear and slight freckle between 2 screws on sideplate. Has not been d&t and and fit and finish overall looks good enough to just leave alone and get better glasses to see iron sights. I probably can look around after hunting season and find somthing already set up and leave this old $450 classic alone. Again Thanks for everybodys 2 cents because I got a dollars worth of experence thats helped my decision!

MT Gianni
12-30-2019, 04:14 PM
A lot of good thoughts to consider from probably over 200yrs of combined knowledge.
Yep its a N5707 but w Pachmayr Presentation grips and came in a Safariland 158 flaptop holster where it looks like thats been its home, small amount of muzzle finish wear and slight freckle between 2 screws on sideplate. Has not been d&t and and fit and finish overall looks good enough to just leave alone and get better glasses to see iron sights. I probably can look around after hunting season and find somthing already set up and leave this old $450 classic alone. Again Thanks for everybodys 2 cents because I got a dollars worth of experence thats helped my decision!

I think you made the right choice. I have had scoped handguns and all my contender bbls are. I believe they increase my accuracy but at a large expense of target acquisition. I would easily take a moving shot with a DA revolver but would never consider doing so with my contenders.

Gus Youmans
12-30-2019, 05:39 PM
Divedigger,

Some company, I think it was B-Square, made a no-drill base that fit older Smith & Wesson revolvers using the sight cut out and the single screw that holds the rear sight in. I have one that was formerly mounted on an old 586 and it worked well. My basement is in total disarray due to remodeling and I have no idea where it is. I tried Google and could not find anything. You might try E-Bay.

Gus Youmans

rintinglen
12-30-2019, 10:57 PM
Gus took the words from my mouth. I saw one on E-bay a while back. I believe Williams made one as well, though I don’t see it on their web site.

Patrick L
01-01-2020, 12:27 AM
I have a no gunsmithing mount for K,L, & N frame Smiths too. I think mine is a Weaver, definitely no longer made, but try ebay.

Kraschenbirn
01-01-2020, 12:25 PM
Twenty-some years ago, I had a B-Square 'no-drill' mount on a 586 that I shot for NRA 'Hunter Pistol' silhouettes. As I recall, it worked pretty good but did leave some marks on the frame. I'll dig around my parts bins and, if I find it, it's yours for price of a USPS flat-rate box.

Bill

Divedigger
01-02-2020, 10:08 AM
Twenty-some years ago, I had a B-Square 'no-drill' mount on a 586 that I shot for NRA 'Hunter Pistol' silhouettes. As I recall, it worked pretty good but did leave some marks on the frame. I'll dig around my parts bins and, if I find it, it's yours for price of a USPS flat-rate box.

Bill
Thanks that would be a way to see if it would work for me without big investment and not alter the gun