PDA

View Full Version : Case trimmer help

Handshaker
12-24-2019, 06:26 PM
I am using Lee case trimmers but i have a couple of oddball calibers too like 221 fireball and 7mm int-r. Is there a good and not too expensive case trimmer that will do any caliber out there? I was looking at the Lyman universal but i am not sure it will do odd calibers. I prefer a manual crank or use a drill.
thanks for any help.

country gent
12-24-2019, 06:49 PM
The Wilson is good, as is the redding, lyman and rcbs trimmers. Make sure the Wilson has the case holders for your cartridge's though. THe others hold on the rim so as long as its a standard rim dia your good to go.

Some times mixing matching the studs on te lee can get where you need to be. On the 221 a 222 with the pin shortened to cut to correct length might work. Im not familiar with 7mm inter r so not sure what might be done there. The end of the pin against the shell holder sets cut length on the lees. On the 7mm you might need to cut a new thread and shoulder on the back also on a 7mm stud

Elroy
12-24-2019, 06:52 PM
Any lathe type trimmer will do the trick.I have a Lyman Accu Trimmer that I got from Midway on sale a good while back for $35,or $40 bucks,and while it is not the best quality it does come with 9 pilots,and includes 22 cal,and 7mm along with most other common diameters .It uses common type shell holders that most presses use.

Winger Ed.
12-24-2019, 07:15 PM
The Hornady trimmer uses single stage press shell holders, has a hand crank, a wide selection of pilots,
and you can pull the hand crank off and put the little nub in a drill.

Handshaker
12-24-2019, 07:49 PM
Thanks all, I'll think about which one to get. Does the lee cutter use your existing die from the die set?

Hairy Dawg
12-25-2019, 09:34 AM
The Lee trimmer has 2 parts that has to be initially bought. The lock stud and cutter is a one time buy and can be transferred between all of the calibers. Once you have that all you need is the length gauge and shell holder for what caliber you want to trim. They give very consistent trims, compact, and inexpensive.

The Hornady does use shellholders to hold the cases, but they do have to be Hornady shellholders. The hole in the center of most all others are too small to work.

Handshaker
12-25-2019, 11:31 AM
I have mostly lee trimmers, but i was referring to the power quick trim, not the little case trimmers.
thank you.

C-dubb
12-25-2019, 11:57 AM
love my Forsters.

Elroy
12-25-2019, 11:58 AM
If you are talking about them Lee Trimmers that work on a single stage press, I'm thinking of each caliber takes it's own special die,and you run your case up in the die,and trim it right on the press.I don't see much,if any advantage over a file trim.It would be just as messy,and case specific..It would eventually add up to more money than a conventional trimmer once you buy trimming dies for each cartridge .

lightman
12-25-2019, 12:09 PM
I made one, for a 357 Herrett, several years ago. I started with a gauge for a 35 Remington, the closest thing to the correct length, and used a file and an electric drill. A lathe would have been better and faster but mine turned out ok and works. So, you might be able to do the same thing with your 7mm.

Handshaker
12-25-2019, 12:18 PM
THanks for the info. I think i will get the lyman universal trimmer with the 9 bushings

lightman
12-25-2019, 12:37 PM
THanks for the info. I think i will get the lyman universal trimmer with the 9 bushings

That will work! Don't forget that you will need some method to measure your cases. Calipers, case gauge, ect.

Handshaker
12-25-2019, 12:51 PM
I got that covered, i have a case gauge and digital caliper. I have already been reloading 221 fireball, 45-70 and 45 colt BP for my old army with conversion cylinder. Although not for very long. I was using those lee trimmers but dont really like them.

Three44s
12-25-2019, 06:59 PM

There you go! Good choice!

Three44s

Bazoo
12-25-2019, 07:11 PM
I really like my Lyman universal trimmer. It'll trim just about anything long as you have the correct pilot. I had a couple pilots that were a little snug in the neck, I spun them in the drill and sanded them with 600 grit paper. It didn't take much. Pilots would be easy to modify by sanding or make with a lathe for an odd diameter. I didn't get the drill adapter with mine, sure would like one though.

Handshaker
12-25-2019, 10:01 PM
Ya i was looking at the drill bit adapter but dont know why the whole spindle needs to be changed at 40 bucks! There is a screw holding the crank handle on right? Why not get a grade 10 or 12 threaded stud from the hardware store, remove the handle and some locktite and attach your cordless drill to the stud? Seems like a no brainer to me but i dont have one yet to see if this will work.

15meter
12-25-2019, 10:40 PM
If you're happy with the Lee, either call up Lee, the will make custom case gages for any odd ball case as long as it uses a standard case head.

Another option is to make your own Lee style case gages. I've made a number of them over the years, the threaded portion is a standard thread 8-32, I think. Find a rod that is a reasonably tight fit, drill and tap for a machine screw, other end drill a 1/16" hole in the opposite end and super glue a standard RCBS straight decap pin. Grind overall length to your trim to length and thread a short piece of threaded rod into the other end.

I like fixed length gages, much easier to get repeatable results.

The highest number of case trimmed with one of my homemade case gages is 450+ cases. It was for a pair of 318 Westley Richards chambered rifles and I wanted a minimum of 200 cases per rifle.

Bazoo
12-25-2019, 11:11 PM
The handle is pressed onto the shaft. I'm not sure how tightly pressed it is. The end is riveted over some. Might be a possibility to drill and tap it for a shaft.

Handshaker
12-25-2019, 11:57 PM
If you're happy with the Lee, either call up Lee, the will make custom case gages for any odd ball case as long as it uses a standard case head.

Another option is to make your own Lee style case gages. I've made a number of them over the years, the threaded portion is a standard thread 8-32, I think. Find a rod that is a reasonably tight fit, drill and tap for a machine screw, other end drill a 1/16" hole in the opposite end and super glue a standard RCBS straight decap pin. Grind overall length to your trim to length and thread a short piece of threaded rod into the other end.

I like fixed length gages, much easier to get repeatable results.

The highest number of case trimmed with one of my homemade case gages is 450+ cases. It was for a pair of 318 Westley Richards chambered rifles and I wanted a minimum of 200 cases per rifle.

Something to think about....

Handshaker
12-26-2019, 12:26 AM
I always end up going down the internet rabbit hole researching stuff,lol. Anyone using these? Looks interesting and also chamfers and deburrs.
https://www.brownells.com/reloading/case-preparation/case-trimming/case-trimmers/404-jeffery-big-boy-trim-chamber-sku100028252-55170-211166.aspx?cm_mmc=cse-_-Itwine-_-shopzilla-_-100-028-252&utm_medium=cse&utm_source=connexity&utm_campaign=itwine&utm_content=100-028-252

Bazoo
12-26-2019, 12:37 AM
I have a Lyman ez trim that is similar to the lee. I went with it over the lee because it uses standard shell holders. Well

I'm not happy with it but through modifications I will be. The problem is that the shaft that goes through the shell holder and bottoms against the case head is affected by a chamfer or radius around the primer pocket. Only a few thousands normally, but it bothers me. Well I'm modifying it to have a larger diameter head but have to modify shell holders too. I probably will do a write up on it after it's done. The issue is I don't have access to a lathe so I'm having to figure other ways. Where there's a will there's a way.

Winger Ed.
12-26-2019, 01:48 AM
[QUOTE=Handshaker;down the internet rabbit hole researching stuff,lol. Anyone using these? Looks interesting and also chamfers and deburrs.[/QUOTE]

I use the el cheapo that's about the size of your thumb and put it in the lathe head.
There used to be an adapter to put one in so it'd fit a drill press.

Check out the 'modern and improved' version Midway carries from Redding. It will do inside, outside,
and has a adjustable pilot to stay centered inside the mouth, and also cut the crimp from GI primer pockets

Winger Ed.
12-26-2019, 12:40 PM
I always end up going down the internet rabbit hole researching stuff,lol. Anyone using these? ]
Tried answering your PM, but I ain't sure it went through.
My confuser is acting a little wonky. Let me know if ya didn't get it.

Handshaker
12-26-2019, 11:20 PM
Yes i got it and sent you a PM. thats a cool gadget got one in my cart, At OP they are 29 bucks.
thank you
https://www.opticsplanet.com/redding-reloading-piloted-deburring-tool.html

45workhorse
12-26-2019, 11:51 PM
Thanks Handshaker, something else to spend money on!!:kidding:
In all serious I like that idea, I will be getting one.

Handshaker
12-27-2019, 11:53 AM
Winger Ed gets credit for this not me:). But, talking about that rabbit hole i was in.... Now i am thinking i might go with the lee quick trim system.It does it all, trim chamfer and debur on a press with a drill. My whole set up for the 4 calibers i am loading at this time under a hundo bucks. I already have the turret press and single stage for decapping. I can use the decapping press for this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PYPR7u7reqI

Handshaker
12-30-2019, 09:22 PM
So, I ended up ordering the Lee Power Deluxe Quick Trim and the dies. I will update as soon as it arrives and i have a chance to use it. I ordered the dies for 30-30, 45 colt and 45-70. I will have to order the 221 fireball and 7mm int-r directly from lee since they are special calibers they dont normally stock.
Thanks for the help!

1hole
01-01-2020, 05:43 PM
I got a Lyman "Universal" trimmer and several accessories for deburr/chamfer, tungsten carbide cutter, primer pocket and flash hole uniforming, outside neck turning/inside reaming before they were painted orange - mid 70s if I remember rightly. Not without weaknesses it remains a good trimmer system.

I've tried others that are somewhat better in one respect or another but overall I still like my old gray bodied Lyman. I wouldn't suggest the Universal to serious B.R. shooters but for the rest of us I think it, especially with all of its accessory options, remains the best and most over all versatile case trimmer system available.

The "universal" in its name refers to the shell holder, it will hold on to anything - or at least anything I know of except .50 BMG.

Littlewolf
01-02-2020, 01:11 PM
ive had 2 lyman universal lathe type trimmers yes they cut brass off would they make cases the same length NO. ive had the lee trimmer case guages would they cut the RIGHT length NO NO NO.
i LOVE my forster trimmers, i have one for every caliber i load, aside from auto pistol.

Bazoo
01-02-2020, 07:12 PM
I get fairly consistent lengths with the Lyman universal trimmer. It has to do with consistent use of the clamp that holds the case head, and consistent pressure on the cutter handle. I generally get them right on length or within the next lowest .001. I have a good "feel" for stuff like that though.

1hole
01-03-2020, 07:06 PM
I get fairly consistent lengths with the Lyman universal trimmer. It has to do with consistent use of the clamp that holds the case head, and consistent pressure on the cutter handle. I generally get them right on length or within the next lowest .001. I have a good "feel" for stuff like that though.

Ditto. And my Universal trimmer tends to collect tiny brass shavings where the pilot contacts the cutter face, that stuff builds up and the packed brass hold-off makes the trimmed cases slightly longer. User attention to keep that junction clean is important for consistent trims; most of the time simply withdrawing the cutter/pilot and repeating the trim is all that's required.

I've never found any accuracy benefit from cases precisely trimmed to the same length and know of no one else who has.

Handshaker
01-20-2020, 02:42 PM
I ended up buying the lee quick trim, this thing is super cool and works great.

CastingFool
01-20-2020, 05:40 PM
I have and still use an old Herter's trimmer. Looks a lot like the Forsters, in fact, the collets are interchangeable. Mine had one pilot, but since I worked in a machine shop, I made some for the other calibers I reload. I also have a Forsters I picked up at a gun show real cheap. Seller had 3 of them, must have come from a estate sale. All had labels showing the cartridge and case length. Should have bought all 3 of them.

Big Wes
01-21-2020, 03:43 PM
I only load two rifle calibers. 223 & 308 I bought the Giraud Tri-way trimmers. a bit pricey but worth it to me.

https://giraudtool.com/index.html

Ozark Howler
01-22-2020, 11:48 PM
I ended up buying the lee quick trim, this thing is super cool and works great.

I agree with Handshaker, I recently switched from Hornady (lathe type) trimmer to the Lee Quick Trim & Die trimmer, best upgrade in years (IMO)

rbt5050
01-23-2020, 01:22 AM
I have used every trimmer out their and the one's I use now are Giraud or the Dillon trimmer. I hate to trim and their is less work with these tools. they cost more but it is only money and you cant take it with you.

ioon44
01-23-2020, 09:22 AM
I have used several lathe type trimmers and never was happy with the accuracy, I switched to the L E Wilson about 20 years ago and don't have any reason to go back to any thing else.

Iowa Fox
01-26-2020, 04:25 AM
I always end up going down the internet rabbit hole researching stuff,lol. Anyone using these? Looks interesting and also chamfers and deburrs.
https://www.brownells.com/reloading/case-preparation/case-trimming/case-trimmers/404-jeffery-big-boy-trim-chamber-sku100028252-55170-211166.aspx?cm_mmc=cse-_-Itwine-_-shopzilla-_-100-028-252&utm_medium=cse&utm_source=connexity&utm_campaign=itwine&utm_content=100-028-252

I don't use that one but I do use a similar one for my volume trimming like the 223 headed for the Dillon.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XMYAdkeDPBU

For the benchrest stuff I use a Wilson
For the other stuff where I might load 25-50 rounds I use the Lyman or the Forster. Have both

EDG
01-26-2020, 05:46 AM
I much prefer and use the Forster for most of my trimming.
I have a full set of pilots and collets and it will trim all of the 35 or so cartridges I load except the 50-70 Govt.
In addition it will also turn case necks. It is easy to remove the handle and install a high nut so you can drive it with a drill.

There are a lot of Forsters around I bought my first one in 1976. It is easy to find a good used one for $25.

Three44s
01-27-2020, 09:32 PM
I started out in 1975 with a Pacific trimmer. The cutter got dull and I went to the Lyman Universal.

The Lyman cutter went dull and I changed to the carbide cutter. Still using that one.

I added a Forester trimmer so I could outside neck turn. I leave my Forester unit set up for neck turning.

I bought an RCBS trimmer with the intent of adding the three way cutter to it but never got around to that.

I have several of the original Lee trimmers but do not use them much.

I ended up with three of the Wilson trimmer units. I really like them!

So here are the upsides and the downsides:

Any collet style trimmer that grabs the head of the case to hold it has a disadvantage in that your overall length will vary a bit. The plus is that a few collets cover several different case heads.

The Lee system (original) has a weakness in that they are not adjustable. If you have cases shorter than the trim length they are going to be out of spec. The plus is it is drill friendly.

The Lyman does a good many different cartridges without much fan fare with it’s universal case holder.. All you need is an appropriate pilot and chances are, you are in business. The length does vary a bit but not bad. The case mouths can be out of square but not terribly. It is just a good basic all around case trimmer.

The Wilson requires a collet that grips the body of the case for each family of cartridges but it is accurate and gives it’s user as square a case mouth as you can find with any tool. If you have a lot of different cartridges with odd body dimensions you will spend a tidy sum buying case holders. Some very straight walled cartridges will require two holders, one for fired cases and another for new/full length sized ones. Also there are likely cartridges out there that LE Wilson does not make holders for.

All said and done, I use my Lyman Universal for any length trimming that my Wilson’s are not used for. My Forester stays set up for outside neck turning. My Wilson’s get used for anything I have holders for.

My RCBS collects dust until I spring for their accessory trim head (three way blade) and my Pacific just collects dust as well.

If I use my Lee trimmer I have to sideline so many cases that are shorter than it’s set length so it just collects dust as well.

Three44s

David2011
01-31-2020, 01:06 AM

The Little Crow trimmers are very good. I bought one for .223 before the adjustable ones were available.

lightman
02-02-2020, 02:42 PM
I started out in 1975 with a Pacific trimmer. The cutter got dull and I went to the Lyman Universal.

The Lyman cutter went dull and I changed to the carbide cutter. Still using that one.

I added a Forester trimmer so I could outside neck turn. I leave my Forester unit set up for neck turning.

I bought an RCBS trimmer with the intent of adding the three way cutter to it but never got around to that.

I have several of the original Lee trimmers but do not use them much.

I ended up with three of the Wilson trimmer units. I really like them!

So here are the upsides and the downsides:

Any collet style trimmer that grabs the head of the case to hold it has a disadvantage in that your overall length will vary a bit. The plus is that a few collets cover several different case heads.

The Lee system (original) has a weakness in that they are not adjustable. If you have cases shorter than the trim length they are going to be out of spec. The plus is it is drill friendly.

The Lyman does a good many different cartridges without much fan fare with it’s universal case holder.. All you need is an appropriate pilot and chances are, you are in business. The length does vary a bit but not bad. The case mouths can be out of square but not terribly. It is just a good basic all around case trimmer.

The Wilson requires a collet that grips the body of the case for each family of cartridges but it is accurate and gives it’s user as square a case mouth as you can find with any tool. If you have a lot of different cartridges with odd body dimensions you will spend a tidy sum buying case holders. Some very straight walled cartridges will require two holders, one for fired cases and another for new/full length sized ones. Also there are likely cartridges out there that LE Wilson does not make holders for.

All said and done, I use my Lyman Universal for any length trimming that my Wilson’s are not used for. My Forester stays set up for outside neck turning. My Wilson’s get used for anything I have holders for.

My RCBS collects dust until I spring for their accessory trim head (three way blade) and my Pacific just collects dust as well.

If I use my Lee trimmer I have to sideline so many cases that are shorter than it’s set length so it just collects dust as well.

Three44s

Good writeup!
Your experiences pretty much mirror mine except that you have used even more different trimmers than I have. No matter which trimmer you have, the carbide cutter is a worth while up-grade.