PDA

View Full Version : Collet bullet pullers

historicfirearms
12-24-2019, 11:26 AM
I am in need of a new bullet puller. The handle broke on my old inertia bullet puller. And I always thought that the inertia puller took too long and was a pain to use.
Anyway, looking at the collet pullers on Midway, they all say not for cast bullets. I don't care if they damage the boolit as I will just throw them back in the melt pot. Is there any reason why cast boolits can't be pulled?

ReloaderFred
12-24-2019, 11:33 AM
I've found that it's hard for the collet to get a good enough grip to pull the bullet, especially if there's a good roll crimp applied.

If I have a lot of cast bullet loads to pull, such as being given someone else's reloads, then I'll cut a 12 gauge plastic hull off above the metal base and put that into the threads of my Rockchucker as a thread protector where the die screws in. I cut slots in the plastic hull and flare them to hold it in place. Then I'll use a pair of pliers to grasp the cast bullet when the ram is raised to the top, and then retract the ram and pull the bullet. It's actually pretty fast that way, and the plastic hull keeps the threads from getting buggered by the pliers.

Hope this helps.

Fred

onelight
12-24-2019, 12:09 PM
I've found that it's hard for the collet to get a good enough grip to pull the bullet, especially if there's a good roll crimp applied.

If I have a lot of cast bullet loads to pull, such as being given someone else's reloads, then I'll cut a 12 gauge plastic hull off above the metal base and put that into the threads of my Rockchucker as a thread protector where the die screws in. I cut slots in the plastic hull and flare them to hold it in place. Then I'll use a pair of pliers to grasp the cast bullet when the ram is raised to the top, and then retract the ram and pull the bullet. It's actually pretty fast that way, and the plastic hull keeps the threads from getting buggered by the pliers.

Hope this helps.

Fred
Great idea !

historicfirearms
12-24-2019, 12:14 PM
Thanks Fred, I will give it a try.

Slugster
12-24-2019, 12:20 PM
What reloader Fred said +1.

Beagle333
12-24-2019, 12:36 PM
I push my rounds up through the top of the press and grip the boolit with the sidecutter on my pliers. The pliers are then laying flat across the top of the press and won't damage the threads either. Get a good deep bite on the lead with the sidecutters, since you're going to be recycling the boolit anyway.

lightman
12-24-2019, 06:01 PM
My collet puller is an RCBS. It will pull cast rifle bullets or longer bullets but does not work well on short pistol bullets. Its got to do with the contact or griping area.

I cut a short piece of PVC pipe to put over the ram, making a false top, and pull bullets using a pair of side cutters. Lots of different stuff besides PVC will work for this. Steel pipe, pipe couplings, ect. Longer cartridges that will stick out above the top of the press doesn't need the PVC pipe. The side cutters damage the bullet but I just recycle them.

georgerkahn
12-24-2019, 06:19 PM
I really like ReloaderFred's method!!! However, not being smart enough to think of his ;) -- a few years back I acquired a short 1,000 loaded 10mm Auto cast rounds, which I wished to take apart. Having two different collet-types, neither functioned 95% of the time, and in the 5% when it did work -- the bullet was (imho) ruined. I "discovered" a rather costly, for what it is, gizmo called "Grip n Pull" ( https://grip-n-pull.com/products/pistol-grip-n-pull-bullet-puller?utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=google&utm_campaign=Google%20Shopping&gclid=CjwKCAiAi4fwBRBxEiwAEO8_HgHiURhivhW7FZE_a8tC B-zym6xwfRtLuiQqrpCaZIAbbQphGEgJDRoCmJkQAvD_BwE ). 253520 This device has not let me down in pulling cast bullets, and allllmost all the time they're re-loadable. Again, if I knew then what I've learned now -- I'd try ReloaderFred's trick. But -- reckoned you may have interest in a product which works pulling cast bullets.
BEST!
geo

Froogal
12-24-2019, 06:25 PM
I am in need of a new bullet puller. The handle broke on my old inertia bullet puller. And I always thought that the inertia puller took too long and was a pain to use.
Anyway, looking at the collet pullers on Midway, they all say not for cast bullets. I don't care if they damage the boolit as I will just throw them back in the melt pot. Is there any reason why cast boolits can't be pulled?

I have the RCBS bullet puller, and a couple different collets for it. Works real good on jacketed bullets, but it simply will not grab onto a cast bullet.

44magLeo
12-25-2019, 01:17 PM
That Grip and Pull Is Quite the tool. At #39.99 it should be. They do make them for rifle cartridges too.
I think the idea is sound. Wouldn't be hard to build one. Some 1/4 inch thick steel a few drill bits and a cut off wheel.
Leo

country gent
12-25-2019, 01:34 PM
When pulling bullets with pliers a piece of pipe cut to fit over the shell holder and rest the pliers on saves a lot of movement and works well. The pliers aren't resting on the threads either. A cheap set of side cutters work good but destroy the bullets.

Kevin Rohrer
12-25-2019, 01:49 PM
I have not found collet-type pullers to work well w/ lead bullets. For that I use an inertial puller, banging it on a piece of wood--while wearing earmuffs.

Kevin Rohrer
12-25-2019, 01:54 PM
I really like ReloaderFred's method!!! However, not being smart enough to think of his ;) -- a few years back I acquired a short 1,000 loaded 10mm Auto cast rounds, which I wished to take apart. Having two different collet-types, neither functioned 95% of the time, and in the 5% when it did work -- the bullet was (imho) ruined. I "discovered" a rather costly, for what it is, gizmo called "Grip n Pull" ( https://grip-n-pull.com/products/pistol-grip-n-pull-bullet-puller?utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=google&utm_campaign=Google%20Shopping&gclid=CjwKCAiAi4fwBRBxEiwAEO8_HgHiURhivhW7FZE_a8tC B-zym6xwfRtLuiQqrpCaZIAbbQphGEgJDRoCmJkQAvD_BwE ). 253520 This device has not let me down in pulling cast bullets, and allllmost all the time they're re-loadable. Again, if I knew then what I've learned now -- I'd try ReloaderFred's trick. But -- reckoned you may have interest in a product which works pulling cast bullets.
BEST!
geo

Thank you! I have a dozen bullets to pull, and just ordered one from Amazon.

Rapidrob
12-25-2019, 02:12 PM
You can find these on the web and I think they are the best cast bullet puller ever made. They grab the grease groove on the down stroke and pull the bullet. You push the pulled bullet up through the puller with the next round. Very fast to use and they are made in many calibers. This one is in .257
They are threaded for a slandered reloading die.

historicfirearms
12-25-2019, 04:40 PM
No those are slick. Do they work with shorter bullets? Where are they sold?

Rapidrob
12-25-2019, 05:58 PM
Any size and shape bullet. No idea who may have them today. I'd do an ebay or Gunbroker search.

Wayne Smith
12-25-2019, 08:27 PM
You can find these on the web and I think they are the best cast bullet puller ever made. They grab the grease groove on the down stroke and pull the bullet. You push the pulled bullet up through the puller with the next round. Very fast to use and they are made in many calibers. This one is in .257
They are threaded for a slandered reloading die.
Any idea who makes them??

CamoWhamo
12-25-2019, 10:15 PM
I used to have a Forster collet type bullet puller and now have the RCBS one.

I wouldn't recommend the Forster puller for cast bullets. I don't think i was ever able to successfully pull a cast bullet with it. It's also quite a pain to use because the case neck goes way up into the main body and you can't see how far down you are gripping the bullet. I destroyed several cases when i inadvertently clamped the case neck and not the bullet.

The RCBS collet puller has been great so far. I've used it on cast in several calibers and it has worked every time without damaging the bullet.
It's also easier to use as you can see where the collet is gripping.
I also find that the RCBS releases the captured bullet much easier.

Drew P
12-29-2019, 01:40 PM
You’d need an extended shell holder to make some of these work on top of the press. I keep a piece of aluminum tube that slips over the ram and allows the side cutter method to work under the press die holder which is required for short pistol cal mistakes.

nhyrum
12-29-2019, 01:55 PM
I'm a fan of the grip n pull. Best puller. Faster than inertia, and easier (I've given myself tennis elbow from pulling 100 or so rifle rounds in a day) plus it's supposed to keep the bullet in good shape to reload again.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

ukrifleman
12-30-2019, 02:20 PM
+1 for the grip N pull, it's quick and bullets are reusable.
ukrifleman

GOPHER SLAYER
12-30-2019, 03:05 PM
I had a Forster bullet puller with many collets and I couldn't get it to work with jacketed bullets. I never tried it with cast. I sold it on S&S at a give-a- way price. I use an inertia puller for cast bullets.

lightman
12-30-2019, 09:58 PM
I'm currently pulling down a bunch of ammo that someone gave me. It has been wet and is corroded, basically just scrap. My RCBS collet puller is working fine on the jacketed rifle bullets, 270 Win and 30-30 Win. Its also working ok on the jacketed 380's, 38 Specials and the 44's. Its not working on the 38 special lead SWC's or the lead or plated round nose bullets. On those I'm using my Lineman's pliers and a short piece of PVC pipe placed over the ram.

1hole
01-01-2020, 05:10 PM

They were made by BONANZA before Forster bought them out. There was two versions, one with a short section of 7/8"x14 threads for use in any threaded press, the other was a thin thing that slid into their Co-Ax press lock ring slot. IMHO, they were excellent devices, very fast and easy to use.

I have one of them, in .308". I'd hoped to get several more diameters but, as a young father at the time with much higher priorities on my limited funds, they disappeared from the market long before I got to it.

Kevin Rohrer
01-03-2020, 05:17 PM
+1 for the grip N pull, it's quick and bullets are reusable.
ukrifleman

Mine came in the mail a couple days ago.

GONRA
01-04-2020, 10:18 PM
Several years ago, GONRA tried EVERYTHING on 1000 + 7.62mm Tokarev LSC SMG rounds, including a couple new purchases.
Finally my decades olde Forster Collet Puller did the job. Had to use a huge wrench on the Tee handle screw though.
Only 4000 rds. more to go!

Hollywood_Goon
01-04-2020, 10:25 PM
Only 4000 rds. more to go!

Ouch..!!!

bullseye67
01-04-2020, 11:51 PM
Good evening,

I have a pliers style similar to the “grip and pull”. It has rings where the bullet goes, leaves marks like crimp rings on jacketed bullets but works on cast as long as it can get a grip. I ended up with 3 1/2, 5 gallon pails of rejects from a commercial loader. All new WW and Star Line brass. Pulled over 1700 45 Colt about 90% were lead 250gr boolits with a really good crimp. I had to use the side cutters and pipe method. The 3500+ 44 mags were all jacketed and easy to pull with the grip and pull style, about 2 dozen were marked too much for shooting. I haven’t started on the 45ACP or 9mm yet. Have almost a full bucket of each!!!

My experience is rifle is easy....Pistol PITA factor is high!!

Bullseye67

And as a side note......I would be very careful buying from smaller reloaded/loaders. I was checking out their loading area and noticed buckets under the loaders. I asked what were they for? They toss the loads that don’t go through quite right? Whatever that means?? The owner asked if I wanted some rejected rounds, just take them. When I pulled them apart. They had 2 different powders in some, no powder in some, compressed powder in some, no primers and bullets at different seating lengths and that was just the 45 Colt rounds. I was talking at a later date with the owner about the rejected Ammo and why so much? He looked shocked.....he said a bucket per machine a week wasn’t nearly as much as they had before. Now they only load 9mm and have abandoned multi caliber loading. I guess all the problems were from switching caliber and calibrating the machines. They load about 100K rounds a week now in 9mm.

JimKirk
01-11-2020, 08:55 PM

Bonanza/Forster ....I have a set for everything from .22 to .30

Iowa Fox
01-12-2020, 09:44 PM
Bonanza/Forster ....I have a set for everything from .22 to .30

My first one I purchased years ago is a Herters made by Bonanza. The Forster collets are an exact match to the Herters ones. I'm pretty careful about not having to pull my own stuff but the last few good buys I have made have came with 500 plus rounds of reloads. l never shoot some one else's reloads and some was loaded over 20 years ago as I knew the guys. Finally the kids decided to sell the stuff.

M-Tecs
01-12-2020, 09:55 PM

Forster "Superfast" Bullet Puller-(possum type) they stopped producing them maybe 7 or 8 years ago. See them on eBay occasionally

They can be ground open to use for a larger size

http://pdf.textfiles.com/manuals/FIREARMS/forster_bulletpullersuperpuller.pdf

tankgunner59
01-12-2020, 09:57 PM

Hope this helps.

Fred

Helps me Fred. I never thought of that, but I will use it from now on. Thanks.

ReloaderFred
01-13-2020, 01:03 AM
It only took my one time to slightly mess up the threads on one of my presses to look around my shop and see what I could find to protect them. I spied an empty shotgun hull and figured it was about the right size, and it was. It slipped down the first couple of times, so I cut a few little slices in one end and flared them at the top to keep the plastic from slipping. I like to use the long nose vice grip pliers for pulling cast bullets from handgun rounds, and this really worked out well. And I don't have to save the "tool" and look for it the next time. I just throw it away, and then when I need to pull some more bullets, I cut myself another "thread protector".

Hope this helps.

Fred

lightman
01-13-2020, 12:22 PM
I also scored the threads on my press by sticking the nose of a pair of pliers down through them. I was able to clean them up with a tap. I copied the idea of using a short piece of pipe from someone that posted about it on here. I've gotten to where I won't use the top of the press unless I can lay the pliers across the top. Making a homemade bushing to protect the threads is a good idea.

smoked turkey
01-14-2020, 08:39 PM
Fred that is a really good idea using a 12 gauge hull casing as a thread protector. I had an old leather belt that was too worn out to do much with so I cut some narrow strips about 2-3" long and I simply fish a couple down along side the boolit and put my needle nose vice grips on the boolit making sure the vice grips are supported by the leather strip. I also use the narrow pieces on the rings of some of my dies that do not have wrench flats on them if and when I want to put just a bit of tightness on one of the rings. If I am careful it works to keep the die rings plier mark free. I like your shotshell casing better than my leather strip for protecting the internal threads on my press however.

Cole440
01-19-2020, 03:34 PM

Hope this helps.

Fred

Man I wish I'd known that a few weeks ago. I had a bunch of 30-06 I had loaded with recalled powder and even though it would have been fine I just figured I would pull it and save the bullets. 100 crimped 30-06 loads with an inertia puller is too much. My hand is still vibrating!