PDA

View Full Version : 10.4 mm Glisenti

JMtoolman
12-24-2019, 11:18 AM
A friend gave me a Glisenti revolver made about 1885. It's in quite good condition for a hundred thirty year old! Now I am interested to see if I can make a few black powder rounds for the old girl. The case head size is right in the middle between 44 mag. cases and 44-40 cases. One too small by .009 and one too big by about .005. So I will start to go with the larger case head and swage them down and cut them to length. What limited information I can find the Glisenti round is supposed to be .424 but the barrel size on mine is .416 in diameter, as well as the cylinder diameter. So will have to make up the rounds using the .416 diameter instead of the .424. It's a small bottleneck case about .800 long, and holds a whopping 17 grains of black powder. In planning I am thinking if I can find an old set of 38/40 dies to start with and a bit of machining I think I can form a few cases. Need to find some 38/40 cases first though. Any one have an old set of dies or some cases laying around? Then on to a bullet mold in about .416 or .417 and 175 grains for the old girl. This sounds like a lot of fun for a winters project! The toolman.

cwtebay
12-24-2019, 11:29 AM
I don't own one, but recall that someone on here was using 44 Russian brass (shortened probably), and a series of 45 ACP and 303 Brit dies to get the taper into the case. Pretty cool old round!

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

AntiqueSledMan
12-24-2019, 12:20 PM
Hello JMtoolman,

The Goose did a post about this one,
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?324596-Loading-the-10-4-mm-Italian-Revolver
Unfortunately pictures are blurry, thanks to Photo Bucket for screwing up posts.
Here is a clip from C.O.T.W.

Looks like a fun project, AntiqueSledMan.