PDA

View Full Version : First hand experience with Glock conversion

nagantguy
12-23-2019, 11:40 PM
Read up on Glock 30 in .45 acp to 10mm; also
45 super and 460 Rowland any of you guys and ladies have first hand experience and was it a happy ending and did anything else someone about to dip their toe and n these waters might want to know?

sukivel
12-23-2019, 11:56 PM
I too, am interested in a G30 conversion to 10mm...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Todd N.
12-24-2019, 12:25 AM
I have played with Glock conversions for years to the point that I am bored with them. As to Glock 30 conversions, 10mm is least popular. The .45 ACP and 10mm breechface are different enough to make the conversion more extensive than just a barrel and magazine swap. The .45 Super is not as popular as one might think for a G30, and the .460 Rowland is even less popular. The most common complaint with the Rowland setup and the compact G30 is one of size- once you add the Rowland comp on to the end of the barrel you have something that is fullsize again, and you have lost the advantage of the compact pistol. Also, with the short gripframe of a G30 and the extended barrel/comp assembly, the balance of the pistol is altered in a negative way.

Although the flexy polymer frame of the Glock SHOULD be ideal for the heavy cartridges, the reality is different. In the fullsize Glocks, these cartridges are fantastic! In the compact platform, most shooters find them to be uncomfortable or even punishing.
Now for the subjective part...

I have carried either a Glock 29 or 20 for years. My 10mm interest goes back to the beginning days and has never waned. I shoot heavy loads in my 10's and have 9x25 Dillon conversions for both of them (these are the only Glock conversions I have now). I "sorta" own a Glock 21 that has been permanently converted to .460 Rowland. I say "sorta" because my brother fell in love with it and has borrowed it...long-term! LOL!
Personally, I don't have any issue with shooting the .460 in the compact frame, but it IS a handful. As I stated earlier, the fullsize frame has so many advantages for these conversions that doing it on the compact frame is just stacking the deck against yourself.

Hope that helps!

WinchesterM1
12-24-2019, 01:45 PM
I have a Glock 21 with a 460 Rowland with a 22lb recoil spring(no break) and I also bought the 400 Corbon conversation with is a 45 necked down to .400 I shoot loads slightly hotter then 10mm but I also had to throat my barrel with a 10mm reamer to get it to chamber correctly.

The 460 Rowland I’m shooting the lee 255rf at something like 1400fps, and the 400 Corbon I’m shooting the lee 175tl over 9grn of little gun and it shoots great

I have killed deer with all 3 calibers 45acp,460,400 Corbon I don’t like to shoot the 460 Rowland to much, the brass is harder to find

nagantguy
12-27-2019, 04:20 PM
So if not “drop in” trouble free it can be made to work; I may have a chance to barter and trade a few things to a guy whom has said conversion kits; well two of the three- don’t appear to have ever been used; and for sure not used by him-

Todd N.
12-28-2019, 12:35 AM
So if not “drop in” trouble free it can be made to work; I may have a chance to barter and trade a few things to a guy whom has said conversion kits; well two of the three- don’t appear to have ever been used; and for sure not used by him-

nagantguy,

Have you ever shot one of these cartridges- the .45 Super and .460 Rowland in particular? If so, may I ask what platform they were in? 1911, Glock, or something else?