PDA

View Full Version : Tool Decisions

Pressman
12-23-2019, 09:27 PM
The back story is I have not had the opportunity to shoot nor reload for 15 years. 3 years ago I almost got to reload but that didn't pan out. Now, it looks like life and all those folks who demand my time are out of the way and I can start reloading again.

Now, it's not like I don't have any tools, I have too many and cannot make a decision on which ones to use. I am planning on loading some ammo for the Remington 700, 222 that came to live with me. I have the original Lyman press, powder measure and scale that I bought new in 1967 to load for my first rifle, a 222 Savage 340. Or there is a Herter's Model 9 press, or the big Universal, or too many more to think of. Then which scale, my favorite when I was reloading is the Herter's Model 5. And Powder measures, too many to process. Priming will be on a Lachmiller, I think. There are other options.

Antique? Modern RCBS? One of the really esoteric presses? I need to start somewhere, but where?

Ken

Minerat
12-23-2019, 09:39 PM
I'd pick the oldest press, the powder measure and scale of matching ages and the newest dies that will work with the press, with new components. That way you cover all ages.

Finster101
12-23-2019, 09:47 PM
I'd pick the oldest press, the powder measure and scale of matching ages and the newest dies that will work with the press, with new components. That way you cover all ages.

I'm sorry but, I would have to use the newer equipment for no other reason than if something breaks or wears it can be easily replaced.

Bazoo
12-23-2019, 09:47 PM
I'd start where you left off. Things will come into adjustment easier and quicker that way. 15 years is a long time, might want to give the Lyman manual a once over to make sure none of the details are overlooked.

Gewehr-Guy
12-23-2019, 09:48 PM
I would tell you to start again with your original equipment,and relive your youth. I started loading for a savage 340, but mine was a .22 Hornet. I bought a Lee Loader for it , and used it for several years. I still love loading with the old style hand tools.

maxreloader
12-23-2019, 10:08 PM
Kid in a candy store problems! :bigsmyl2:

Winger Ed.
12-23-2019, 10:11 PM
Load 100 on each one.
Then decide which one ya like best.

onelight
12-23-2019, 10:28 PM
I still use some of the equipment I got in the early 70s it still works just as good now as it did then.
I would start back with my favorites from the old days it will be like Christmas for months as you get your equipment cleaned and lubed and running smooth again , and refresh your memory on what you like or don't about each one....sounds like fun to me. :drinks: enjoy the restart .

GregLaROCHE
12-23-2019, 10:41 PM
The price of electronic scales has come way down in the last 15 years. You may want to consider one for measuring your powder.

Green Frog
12-23-2019, 11:17 PM
Ken, for sheer joy of reloading, one of your single stage presses would be my suggestion. How about one of the Herter's presses like a #3 or a Super U or O? Of course there are a variety of O-frame and heavy C-frames that would get the job done. Add your original 222 dies, whichever scale operates most smoothly for you and similarly whichever powder measure is most comfortable. :)

For me, it would be the Super U, an Ohaus 10-10 scale and probably an old Ideal #5 Micrometer powder measure. I won't be loading 222, but I do have a 223 so the basic setup would be the same. Oh yeah, I'd be using either a first generation Lee priming tool or perhaps the Lyman priming tool that came with their Accra-Wax outfit... you know I almost never prime on the press. ;)

Your 'Phibian Phriend

PS I might just have to dig out a Lyman 310 tool and do the priming with that (if I didn't just do the whole job with a 310! [smilie=l: )

Three44s
12-23-2019, 11:26 PM
Decisions, Decisions!

Three44s

Hossfly
12-24-2019, 12:29 AM
What I did after being out for 15 yrs. was remounted my RCBS press and just started slow and got the moves back going. A friend at church had a Dillon 650 he had just about worn out and convinced me that was what i needed, got a new 650 at 65 years old, been cranking on it now for 5 years 9mm,.223 now 45, 38, 300 black out,etc, just like riding a bicycle it will come back to ya. I still have the single stage press for special jobs or testing. The fun never ends, now powder coating another adventure.

LUBEDUDE
12-24-2019, 06:44 AM
Ken, I empathize with your dilemma. With all that is at your disposal, you can’t make a wrong choice. Maybe rotate the equipment every 3-4 months for fun and locking in a decision. Best of luck.

ascast
12-24-2019, 07:30 AM
Oddly, I find myself in a similar position. I will go with the tried and true RockChucker, and mid eighties stuff. You, however. would be best suited by going out and getting a Dillion or other progressive for large rifle, maybe two. Drive them around the block and report back. I'd like to know if they will seat at about 0.001 readout or less.

Isaac
12-24-2019, 08:44 AM
My go-to is an 80's Rockchucker.

I reserve my classic presses for light duty straight wall cases. Primarily so they can get some bench time and, in agreement with Finster101, am cautious about breaking parts.

Welcome Back!

Isaac

Petrol & Powder
12-24-2019, 09:35 AM
Kid in a candy store problems! :bigsmyl2:

/\ My thoughts exactly

Not a bad problem to have.

Without knowing the full list of options the OP has, I would advise to stay away from any brands that use proprietary components (dies that aren't 7/8" , weird shell holders, etc.)
Once you get back in the swing of reloading you don't want to add a new accessory only to find out that it is now more scarce than a honest politician.

dsh1106
12-24-2019, 09:50 AM
Use the 310 tong tool.

curiousgeorge
12-24-2019, 10:25 AM
Ken, I only have a tenth of the equipment you have at your disposal, but I keep my 1969 Rockchucker bolted in the middle of the bench for daily use. I'm familiar with the feel and it's strong enough to handle most rifle reloading with ease.

Point I'm trying to make is use what you're familiar with. Powder measure could be anything, but I would pull out 2 sets of scales to check one against the other just for my own piece of mind. Make it fun and make it easy. I had my first Lyman tong tool out last week and loaded 6 rounds of 38 specials. Still occasionally use all of my old equipment, but getting back into it after 15 years, keep it simple and make it fun.

Steve

Petrol & Powder
12-24-2019, 10:35 AM
.................. I would pull out 2 sets of scales to check one against the other just for my own piece of mind................

/\ A man with one watch knows what time it is. A man with two watches is never quite sure. :bigsmyl2:

So......with that in mind, I would suggest a check weight (or better yet, check weights). Just saying :kidding:

1hole
12-24-2019, 01:26 PM
Antique? Modern RCBS? One of the really esoteric presses? I need to start somewhere, but where?

Ken

Ken, you make me smile; what a delightful quandary you face! But I have no advice for you. :)

I've been cut off from my bench for the last ten years (massive heart attack, a botched abdominal surgery, bankruptcy, downsizing, etc.) so I can relate to your difficulties and rejoice that you're finally back in the saddle again.

Part of why I grin is your question and responses reflect the fact that while loading tools have slightly changed since '65 they are basically the same and we can load as well on the old tools as the new. I mean we old guys know that good reloads are made by good reloaders, the critical factor is the user, not the shiney tools.

I don't have as large a tool collection as you but I do have quite a bit, and with a wide range of colors. When I started I had only one brand of tools. They worked well so, like others, I became something of my favorite brand fanatic -- until I actually tried other brands. I quickly found that others work too, all of them. So I gradually grew up and dropped my focus on brands, as such. Now I chose my new tools for their user friendly features and how I will use them.

I haven't found replacement parts to be an issue. I've only needed to "replace" six parts: two bent decap/expand stems (because I didn't get them set right before I crunched down on them); three broken decap pins (because of off center flash holes); and one worn out shell holder retaining spring. I straightened the bent rods, made my new pins and a new shell holder spring so, in 55 years, my replacement parts cost has been zilch.

Use what you wish and enjoy it.

mdi
12-24-2019, 02:35 PM
I would choose the tools that were the "funnest". I reload because I like to. I enjoy all my bench time and I use my favorite tools, and sometimes drag out a different one just for fun. I started reloading with a Lee Loader in '69 and even though I now have 5 presses, 3 or 4 scales, a bunch of dies and 1.29 metric tons of assorted reloading tools, I'll get one out and pound out a few rounds. Just for fun...

Shawlerbrook
12-24-2019, 04:28 PM
No wrong answer here. I am partial to the single stage press and balance beam scale I started with in the 70’s. The only thing electronic I use is calipers .

dverna
12-24-2019, 05:49 PM
I was lucky and for my first press bought a Bonanza Co-Ax in the late sixties. it is over 50 years old and still produces sub MOA ammunition. I reloaded pistol ammunition on it for about 2 months and then got into progressives for pistol ammunition.

Like you, my first reloads where .222's but out of a M700 HB.

Have fun.

DonMountain
12-24-2019, 07:03 PM
For all of these "new" presses that everyone else seems to be wearing out and breaking parts on, I would recommend an old iron press that won't break. Thats why I use an old Pacific Super Deluxe press with a readily available RCBS on-the-press primer feed and primer arm. It always works and never breaks or wears out.

Conditor22
12-24-2019, 07:54 PM
Glad you're getting "back into the game. I switched to the new Lyman super 8 for all my rifle reloading --- I'm really liking it. I has 3 turrets so I have 6 calibers set and ready to go, just have to change the seating depth if I use different boolits. I didn't mind a single stage for the rifle but got tired of changing dies all the time :(.

I use a progressive for handguns.

metricmonkeywrench
12-24-2019, 10:49 PM
I'm with most of the crowd, oldest to newest...

Pressman
12-25-2019, 05:10 PM
Thanks to everyone here, the ideas offered are entertaining and informative. Thank You everyone for you thoughts and opinions.

I am going to start with Herter's tools. They are what got me into collecting and I still find them fascinating. In this case I am using the Model 9 Super press, Model 1 scale and Model 41 powder measure. All are from Herter's beginning in 1952. The remaining Herter's tools pictured are about 10/15 years newer.

My reloading bench has converted itself into a junk covered work bench that is going to take some time to find all the top once again.

Vintage reloading.

onelight
12-25-2019, 05:48 PM
Thanks to everyone here, the ideas offered are entertaining and informative. Thank You everyone for you thoughts and opinions.

I am going to start with Herter's tools. They are what got me into collecting and I still find them fascinating. In this case I am using the Model 9 Super press, Model 1 scale and Model 41 powder measure. All are from Herter's beginning in 1952. The remaining Herter's tools pictured are about 10/15 years newer.

My reloading bench has converted itself into a junk covered work bench that is going to take some time to find all the top once again.

Vintage reloading.

Great choice ! It would be very enjoyable to use those old tools.
Your bench is a step back in time.:smile:

jsizemore
12-25-2019, 05:49 PM
Load 100 on each one.
Then decide which one ya like best.

This is what I'd do. Then you got to shoot all that loaded ammo. Maybe have to do it twice just to be sure.

Three44s
12-25-2019, 06:02 PM
Looks like a nice spread to me!

I just can not get over all you have collected all the while not handloading for yourself though for so many years.

Merry Christmas

Three44s

Green Frog
12-25-2019, 07:40 PM

Vintage reloading.

Good choices, Ken. To be honest, I'd forgotten that Model 9 press existed. It should be a real sweetheart to load with, especially if you are just using a two die set and don't have to change/readjust anything. I tend to use a lot of 3 die sets, and a three hole H-type press is something that has eluded me so far. [smilie=w:

Have you thought about priming? From what you've told me, the "Herter's" bench priming tool I thought I had isn't, so if you want to prime off-press, you'll have to leave your all-Herter's theme. :???:

Your bench picture looks pretty good to me... my New Year's resolutions include one to organize my main bench, move my B&D portable bench with MEC shotshell loader to a new spot under a bright light and window, and clean up the workbench which also serves as my casting bench. This should keep me busy until mid-July at the rate I've been working lately. [smilie=b:

Hope everyone has had a Merry Christmas and will have a Happy and Prosperous New Year.
Green Frog

skeettx
12-25-2019, 07:57 PM
Please keep us updated
I use 20.5 grains of 4198, Hornady 50 grain SX bullet, Rem 7 1/2 primer.
Mike

Wayne Smith
12-25-2019, 08:23 PM
Good choice Ken. I load my rifle loads on my Hollywood Sr. and pistol on my Bair Brown Bair - Froggie, you need to look for one yourself. Exactly the three position H press you are dreaming about. I frequently only use two at a time, though. I decap/size separately, clean, then prime off the press, expand, powder off the press, and seat/crimp. Only when I have a separate crimp die, or loading 44-40 and use a powder compression die, do I routinely use all three. When loading 44-40 I have my Lee crimp die on the Hollywood.

Pressman
12-25-2019, 09:25 PM
I have been itching to use that Model 41 powder measure. I want to see how well it preforms compared to the B&M.

Priming will be done on the press. That's how it was back then.

Iowa Fox
12-25-2019, 10:17 PM
Ken regardless of what equipment you decide to use I'm wishing you the best as you sit down and pull the press handle. When I was working I thought once I retire I will have some time to enjoy some of the stuff I acquired along the way. Sadly it doesn't work that way.

LabGuy
12-25-2019, 11:34 PM
Ken, I took almost 20 years off from reloading and the shooting sports. I just picked right back up where I left off. Found a few thing I didn’t remember buying, and didn’t find a few things I had bought.

curiousgeorge
12-27-2019, 04:37 PM
Ken, my first press was a Herter mod 3 that had been broken and rewelded. I paid $10.00 for it and loaded over 5,000 .38's & .357's on it. Your bench set up is awesome. I have a homemade press very similar to the one you show. Don't know if he copied off Herters or Dunbar, but so well made it's scary. You actually put me on to what he could have copied from.
Enjoy, enjoy, and enjoy. Welcome back to the fold.
Steve

Pressman
12-27-2019, 07:56 PM
Steve, just to complicate your thoughts, there is a connection between Herter's and Dunbar though now one that I know of has been able to pin it down. Some folks think the Herter's H press was made by Dunbar, but I am not sold on that idea. Too many differences. However Herter's and Dunbar both sold the same powder measure. Who actually made it is another black hole guess.

Herter's sold this press for a single year before switching to their copy of the Lachmiller press, that Model 3 you have. So, could they have copied the Dunbar, I think so.

Ken

fast ronnie
12-28-2019, 03:06 AM
Reloading to me is just as enjoyable as shooting the stuff up afterward. I have several presses and just bought a new xl 750. Each press still gets used for different purposes.Use the one that you like the best, and maybe different ones for different purposes. Each set of tools has different designs, and you will find that you may like some features of one and other features of others. I would not limit myself to one tool to do all of the work in my shop. Each tool has a function it performs and will do so better than other tools that do some other things better.

6bg6ga
12-28-2019, 07:22 AM
Sir,

Just pick something refresh yourself on the basics and reload for a caliber. To be blunt you have probably forgotten more than some on the forum will learn in the next 5 or 10 years. You don't need someone to tell you what to use or how to proceed simply do it. If it were me I would check the accuracy of your scales and I assume you have more than one. You don't need to rush out and buy something new or for than matter purchase an electronic scale. You have enough equipment ....just use it.

Gewehr-Guy
12-28-2019, 08:35 AM
I would like too see more of your Model 41 powder measure, as much as I love the B&M measure, I find the right handed lever awkward for me. I would much rather insert the measuring cylinder with my right hand, and operate the lever with my left.
I also like all things Herter's, as going to the big store in Mitchell, SD, was facinating to a young gun nut. A Herters catalog and an old copy of The Shooters Bible were my early exposure to the wonderful world of reloading.

Pressman
12-28-2019, 09:20 AM
Gewehr-Guy, I never got the chance to stop in Mitchell, though I drove by once, on the first day of a new job and couldn't take the time. Turns out that was the last month they were open.

Somewhere around here I have plans showing how to convert the B&M to left hand use, somewhere.
I have to seat primers today then it's on to the powder measure. I plan on photographing it and posting in the vintage tools section.

W.R.Buchanan
12-28-2019, 05:35 PM
Pressman: I believe you have one of my Buchanan Precision Machine Hand Presses?, so I think you should start there. It will get you back into the swing of things quickly and you can do it in the comfort of your living or dining room.

I only use my mounted presses for sizing boolits and cases now, and use my BPM LNL Press for all my low volume loading,,, at the dining room table. If your press isn't the LNL model your die changeover time will be slightly longer, but still enjoyable.

It is only 50F here in Ojai CA today, but it is probably more like 20F in Minnesota so I doubt you'll be braving the out of doors to reload anything, and just think, you could be sitting in your nice warm house making quality ammo with your house slippers on.

Here's a couple of my Youtube Videos so you can see what it is like to use this tool at the dining room table.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xEpYQMdnxHY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qSjpPr9ogys&t=6s

Randy

Petander
12-28-2019, 06:18 PM
That sure is a pretty press,Randy.

Pressman,how much space do you have?

I'm asking because I reload in two different rooms. One room for 500 S&W and 45-70 and 308 only. The other has a LNLAP for 357 or 45 ACP, a Lee 1000 for 9mm and an old heavy CH for accuracy hand made 300 WM. Old and older scales and measures all over. Everything is ready to run at all times,I may load 357 in the morning,500 in the afternoon and some 300 WM late at night. Turn around and load one more box of 357 with another bullet.

I use digital for occasional checks only. Those rooms do not share powders,different powders for different rooms is practical.

If you have space you can use it all.

Pressman
12-28-2019, 07:10 PM
Randy, I do not have one. Too much life in the way when you first brought them out. I had hoped to get one of the working models for the collection.

Pressman
12-28-2019, 07:14 PM
Petander, I have rooms and used them all. They are filled with reloading tools. One wall has 200 presses on it.

Actually I finished up loading 20 rounds of 222 this afternoon. It was an experience trying to use all the older equipment. I had trouble with the H press and getting cases into the size die, neck expanding was also an issue, then the scale turned out to be disfunctional and I had to swap it for the last scale Herter's sold.
I have enough rounds now to get the scope sighted in and get a feel for the rifle, if it ever stops raining, ice and snowing.

Ken

Green Frog
12-29-2019, 06:23 PM
So Petander, do you reload in the sauna too? Does the steam cause any rusting problems?? [smilie=l:

I've currently got one end of my basement crammed with reloading gear, but powders etc tend to drift between different benches and cabinets. Also, somehow I keep getting stuff like my hand priming tool and boxes of primers up to the kitchen table and my easy chair so I can prime cases while watching TV. Being a bachelor rattling around in a fair sized rancher with full basement, I tend to be a little casual with location of my loading gear. Then again, I have to have at least one alternate for just about everything so when I mislay something...
:???::roll::oops:

Froggie