PDA

View Full Version : Lee Auto Breechlock press

hpdrifter
12-22-2019, 09:32 PM
I bought the Auto Breechlock press a couple of weeks back

I was about ready to ditch it and go back to fighting the occasional primer issues with the Loadmaster.

The safety prime would loose about 4 primers outta 10. To me, a very hit or miss affair.

Until I did this:

It is just a spring hook that anchors the primer arm and makes in "solid" with no wiggle or movement when I push a primer into place.
No missed primers since this addition.

Kenstone
12-22-2019, 09:51 PM
I bought the Auto Breechlock press a couple of weeks back

I was about ready to ditch it and go back to fighting the occasional primer issues with the Loadmaster.

The safety prime would loose about 4 primers outta 10. To me, a very hit or miss affair.

Until I did this:

It is just a spring hook that anchors the primer arm and makes in "solid" with no wiggle or movement when I push a primer into place.
No missed primers since this addition.

Nice fix :drinks:
Attaching a weight to it might work too.

tomme boy
12-22-2019, 10:43 PM
Get it lined up right and you should not have any problems. And make sure the ram is all the way up before you dispense the primer.

Mine is a Gen 1 safety prime and have never had a problems with it. They are on Gen 3 as of now.

hpdrifter
12-22-2019, 11:31 PM
Nice fix :drinks:
Attaching a weight to it might work too.

weight distorts arm when down position.

Get it lined up right and you should not have any problems. And make sure the ram is all the way up before you dispense the primer.

Mine is a Gen 1 safety prime and have never had a problems with it. They are on Gen 3 as of now.

It was lined up right. The primer arm just was too loose and did a jingle jangle and gave me fits. Never had much of a problem on my turret.

onelight
12-23-2019, 12:13 AM
You probably are aware of this but your sizing die adjustment makes a huge difference on how the primers feed into the cup. I also find the most current version of the primer feed to be the best on the auto breech lock pro.
I fumbled primers regularly until I went to the latest safety prime and got the die adjustment right.
Works great now.

hpdrifter
12-23-2019, 12:15 AM
You probably are aware of this but your sizing die adjustment makes a huge difference on how the primers feed into the cup. I also find the most current version of the primer feed to be the best on the auto breech lock pro.
I fumbled primers regularly until I went to the latest safety prime and got the die adjustment right.
Works great now.

I have newest safety prime. Seems the older one is too long. Sizing die is adjusted per instructions.

onelight
12-23-2019, 01:20 AM
I have newest safety prime. Seems the older one is too long. Sizing die is adjusted per instructions.
If you use the Lee four die set. This is how I adjust mine , you may be doing it already back out your dies so none touch the shell plate with the ram at the top of the stroke.
With the ram at the top adjust the sizing die per the Lee instructions try the safety prime , if you rock it forward to feed a primer into the cup and it hits the top of the press screw the sizing die in deeper until it does not bump the press . The way the Lee dies adjust in some calibers the bullet seating die and the FCD will affect ram travel so adjust them in order starting with the sizer , upper ram travel controls the relationship between the safety prime and the cup on the primer arm , the sizer controls that and can be fine tuned , but the adjustment on any die that touch's the shell plate will change this if not set carefully including the bullet seating and crimp . I hope this makes sense. It works very well when you find that sweet spot.

onelight
12-23-2019, 01:28 AM
The only thing I have done that could be considered a mod to mine I do to any primer cup on every brand press is to break any sharp corners at the top of the cup so a primer can drop in easily , I also use a dry lube on the cup regularly to be sure the sleeve slides freely around the primer punch.

C.F.Plinker
12-23-2019, 11:10 AM
When I set mine up I found that the primer dispenser was hitting the primer cup when I swung it into position to feed the primer. I made a cardboard shim to raise the whole thing up a little bit. It worked fine except that it would flip a couple if primers over (out of every sleeve of 100) when feeding them. I made a new shim out of thinner cardboard and no more flipped primers.

hollywood63
12-23-2019, 11:17 AM
Not to be a wise guy but All my Lee presses suck for priming. I bought the RCBS auto prime and haven't looked back. Plus in my humble opinion its probably faster by the time you factor in upside down, side ways or otherwise destroyed primers[smilie=b: priming off press when using Lee presses is the only way just my .02 :smile:

onelight
12-23-2019, 11:41 AM
Not to be a wise guy but All my Lee presses suck for priming. I bought the RCBS auto prime and haven't looked back. Plus in my humble opinion its probably faster by the time you factor in upside down, side ways or otherwise destroyed primers[smilie=b: priming off press when using Lee presses is the only way just my .02 :smile:
Hard to respond to these kinds of posts .
I loaded 200 rounds of 44 special on my LCT yesterday , all primed on the press not one primer problem of any kind all primed on the press. The press is has not been modified in any way other than a light kit.
The LCT and ABLP share the same newest safety prime. The only problems I have had with this system is operator error mainly while learning to set it up.

kmw1954
12-23-2019, 01:31 PM
my humble opinion its probably faster by the time you factor in upside down, side ways or otherwise destroyed primers[smilie=b: priming off press when using Lee presses is the only way just my .02 :smile:

Yes, everyone is entitled to their 2 cents and it is great you have come to a solution that works for you. I am in the other camp though and believe the whole purpose for a turret or progressive press is to reduce the number of times a case must be handled. My thinking is pick one up, put it in the press, don't touch again until it comes out finished. My experience is tat if the press is set up correctly it just works. Misfires are most always self induced.

hpdrifter
12-23-2019, 06:26 PM
Works fine now.
Now that the priming arm is solid and not able to float around.