PDA

View Full Version : Lee bench capper

Fly
12-22-2019, 09:01 PM
Can anyone here give there thought on lee bench primer ?

Fly

bandsmoyer
12-22-2019, 10:04 PM
I got one about a month ago. I've loaded about 500rnds since in 45acp and 9mm. The only problem I have is with SP primers . Sometimes they want to tilt on me and they go in sideways. And you must shake the tray often to get them into position to feed.

madmtt
12-22-2019, 10:08 PM
A lot of opinions on the Lee bench prime out there. I bought one when it first came out. I had to give it a bump as I pulled the handle to keep the primers feeding. It can jam up if you don’t have the case properly in the shell holder. It is the only priming tool I have used other than an older lee hand primer so my opinion may not be worth much.

poppy42
12-22-2019, 11:20 PM
Have you seen the Leahan prime or the safety prime press mounted priming system for years until I got in RCBS bench primer. Now the lease stuff just sits in the box.

hollywood63
12-23-2019, 11:25 AM
A lot of opinions on the Lee bench prime out there. I bought one when it first came out. I had to give it a bump as I pulled the handle to keep the primers feeding. It can jam up if you don’t have the case properly in the shell holder. It is the only priming tool I have used other than an older lee hand primer so my opinion may not be worth much.

X2....................https://www.bing.com/images/search?view=detailV2&ccid=ObGqBfvt&id=E19F63263440B14AEA0BA6DF846C7B6DD106C2BE&thid=OIP.ObGqBfvtVt8E7Nrh0Nm2DwHaFj&mediaurl=https%3a%2f%2fmedia.midwayusa.com%2fprodu ctimages%2f880x660%2fPrimary%2f457%2f457599.jpg&exph=660&expw=880&q=rcbs+primer&simid=608010249991883254&selectedIndex=0&ajaxhist=0

44magLeo
12-23-2019, 08:51 PM
I like mine. Been using it for a few years and found the way it's mounted and how you use it does effect the way it works.
I mounted mine on a piece of hardwood so I could clamp it to the bench. This didn't work to swell primers tended to jam. I did find letting the handle spring back up on it's own does jiggle the primers to help feed better.
I used it one day just setting on the bench, after inserting the case I just dropped my hand down on the board to hold it. Not to tight mostly just the weight of my hand. This allows the whole thing to jiggle more than when clamped to the bench. This cured my feeding problems.
I got it out to prime some 7.62x54 R brass. After about 12 or so It made a loud click and jammed. A primer had turned up on edge. Never had this happen with large primers before. It locked the thing up. I had to take it off the board and apart to clear the jam. Went back to priming and it jammed again. I think the click was something inside that broke. I had to take it apart again to clear the jam. I found the slider that lifts the primers up cracked. I thought I could get the last 4 or 5 cases done but the weakened slider broke. Got to Call Lee about it.
Been using Lee tools for 35 years. First time I ever had to call Lee about something breaking.
I like the Lee because I like just dumping the primers in the tray, shake a bit and go to priming.
I never really liked filling primer tubes.
Leo

DoubleBit
12-26-2019, 02:27 AM
Bought one, used it a bunch ( it’s easier on my arthritic hands ) but it kept jamming up and shoving primers in sideways. The frustration wore me out, so now it sits on the shelf looking pretty. My old round tray Lee hand priming tool is my mainstay. Sometimes large pistol primers won’t seat deeply enough ( 45 colt and 44 mag ) so I revert to the old RCBS on press tube feed priming system to get them seated flush.

44magLeo
12-26-2019, 02:27 PM
DoubleBit, How do you have it mounted? I found a solid mount didn't work well. It needs room to jiggle a bit.
Having it mounted on a board and just setting it on the bench works for me.
It also works better if after you seat the primer you just pull your hand sideways and let the handle spring up on it's own.
When the handle hits the stop it bounces the tool a bit. This jiggles the tool so primers feed better.
Leo

Idz
12-26-2019, 02:55 PM
I've done a few thousand rounds with mine. With previuos practice my most recent run of 500 rounds CCI SPP I had one sideways primer. I think they are caused by inattention and raising the primer up before the case is fully back in the shellholder. The few feeding jams were caused by me not fully cycling the tool. The only real annoyance is the primers tend to clog up in tray requiring tapping the tray to get them moving again.

Conditor22
12-26-2019, 03:05 PM
Call Lee, they know there is a problem with the benchtop and new auto primmer and will send you new adapters for free.

Lee Precision | 4275 County Road U | Hartford, WI 53027 | phone (262) 673-3075