PDA

View Full Version : Sr9

bigted
12-22-2019, 05:00 PM
Have a SR9 Ruger on the way and as I have not seen in person nor handled one, I am curious as to what I have gotten into. Smokin deal on it that I could not pass on.

I have heard that Ruger has stopped making them but do not know this.

Seen a few you tube vid's on this pistol and looks like a good gun and well built.

Is there any here that has experience or suggestions or hints on this package before it gets here?

scattershot
12-22-2019, 05:08 PM
I think Ruger discontinued the model, and re-started production, but I could be wrong. Anyway, that pistol is a real sleeper. You’ll like it. Was it in sale, or did you buy it from an individual?

Wheelguns 1961
12-22-2019, 05:36 PM
I have an sr9c and it has never missed a beat. The trigger is good out of the box. It is a tool. It is light and conceals iwb well. I probably don’t shoot it as much as I should because to me, it is just not that much fun to shoot. It is a tool.

marlin39a
12-22-2019, 05:40 PM
Great pistol! I have an SR9, and a compact. Also 2 9E pistols, based off the SR9. Ruger made these right.

bigted
12-22-2019, 06:03 PM
Rite on. Thanks for the reply's.

Bought it off GB and thought I got a smokin deal but maybe just a deal at 205 dollars. My thinking is a 17 round concealable auto that runs well and reliable as well as made by a reputable maker for a couple hundred IS smokin good deal.

scattershot
12-22-2019, 06:38 PM
Nothing wrong with that. Enjoy.

sureYnot
12-22-2019, 06:41 PM
Mine had some issues during the first couple hundred rounds. It's been flawless since break-in.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

jonp
12-22-2019, 07:20 PM
Took one my bosses husband had for cleaning. It was a mess. I broke it down, looked it over, cleaned then put it back together and ran some jwords through it. I was pleasantly surprised by how it felt. Seemed a great buy for the price to me.

sonoransixgun
12-22-2019, 07:31 PM
Sounds like a smokin deal to me....look forward to your report after breakin her in.....

johniv
12-22-2019, 07:40 PM
Had an sr9c. Ate everything I fed it, cast swc, etc. Worked better than the g19 I had. They both went away , being too large for my hand, but the Ruger functioned flawlessly.

Kenstone
12-22-2019, 09:45 PM
Have a SR9 Ruger on the way and as I have not seen in person nor handled one, I am curious as to what I have gotten into. Smokin deal on it that I could not pass on.

I have heard that Ruger has stopped making them but do not know this.

Seen a few you tube vid's on this pistol and looks like a good gun and well built.

Is there any here that has experience or suggestions or hints on this package before it gets here?

Yep, always wanted one, bought one too when I found out they stopped making/selling them.
… And paid a premium too, then Ruger decided to start selling them again [smilie=b:
You'll like it,
[smilie=f:

retread
12-22-2019, 10:00 PM
I have an SR9 I got around 8-10 years ago. It has operated flawlessly since the day I bought it. It eats anything. Great feel and it shoots straigher than I can. [smilie=f:

contender1
12-22-2019, 11:47 PM
I have a SR9 as well. I have not found anybody yet with a serious complaint about them. Sure,, some people's hands do not fit this gun as well as brand X Y or Z. But the gun itself is excellent. Slim to pack, 17 rounds in the mag,, and many of the ladies I've taught through the NRA Women On Target program found it to be a good gun as well when they tried mine.

FergusonTO35
12-23-2019, 10:21 AM
Great guns, my local shop sells bunches of them. He doesn't even bother to keep the American pistol in stock, nobody wants them around here.

murf205
12-23-2019, 01:24 PM
bigted, you got a steal of a deal on a great pistol. I bought mine during the Obummer yrs and paid $400 for mine and had to look high and low to find one. It never disappoints. Mine has digested every concoction I fed it and never once had an issue and it shoots right where you point it. They are, IMHO, the best deal in a semi auto pistol on the market. ++you get the famous Ruger customer service if something goes south.

bigted
12-23-2019, 04:03 PM
Thanks all. I am really looking forward to getting my paw's on it ... now more then ever.

Really like my 1911's ... but got a deal on a Springfield XD 40 and am getting more and more enthused with the striker style pistol. Like the XD very much and after fussing with the trigger sear ( polishing all machine marks off both sides) find I am very much more accurate with it then the 1911's. Also ... I very rarely lose brass with the XD as it always falls neatly in a very small circle ... unlike my 1911's where the brass will go willy nilly in EVERY direction. Get tired of searching for 1911 brass.

Hoping the SR 9 is the same. Thanks again for the encouraging words.

Wheelguns 1961
12-23-2019, 04:40 PM
My sr9 really throws the brass, far and wide. I like 1911’s much better. To me, it is something about the grip to frame angle that prevents it from naturally pointing for me. That said, it is a wonderful iwb tool and that is what I bought it for. I paid at least $400 for it several years ago.

Texas by God
12-23-2019, 06:08 PM
Looks good for a "lots of shots" 9mm pistol. $289 at Buds.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

ioon44
12-24-2019, 09:46 AM
I have a SR9 and had to have the barrel replaced ( a lot of deep machine marks in the chamber) by Ruger customer service which was a no problem experience.
One thing to check if you reload the barrel da, of mine slugged at .357" so bullets need to be sized up .002".

I like the SR9 it fits my hand well and functioned with our any problems.

bigted
12-27-2019, 07:43 PM
Got it this afternoon ... the SR9. It were filthy so immediately took it to parad rest and me and hopps went to work cleanin the filthy lil piglet up. Came clean easy peasy ... adding some Rem oil and seems smooth enough. No shooting today ... prolly the first.

My first impressions are mixed. On the good side, I like the throating and it looks like it will run about anything that is layin about. Fit n finish looks good. Mag is a good lookin solid feeling mag. Grip is amazing. Really like the grip, angle and length. Take down is relatively easy and reminiscent to the 1911 but simpler.

Now for my distinct diss likes. Can sum this up in two words ... trigger pull ... this thing is a hog of a pull and seems like it is half way double action. I do not like nor agree with any sorta double action pull on a pistol ( revolvers are different). Looking at the rear of the slide, I observe the striker moving to the rear by about 1/4 inch before let off. My 1911's are single action ... my Springfield striker type XD40 is completely single action ... but this is a cat of a different color.

I am hoping somebody is going to tell me that some part is in backwards or in the wrong sequence. If this is so I am all ears as this is the one set back that takes the shine off for me.

contender1
12-27-2019, 10:55 PM
I will say the trigger is NOT at all like any of my 1911's. It is a different animal. BUT,, once you really try it,, AND give it an honest test,, you may find it's not as bad as you think.

Idaho45guy
12-27-2019, 11:47 PM
Have you tested the trigger pull weight? Most guys that have them comment on the light trigger pull.

And you had to scrub it clean; was it used?

They are going for $250 brand new now in a couple of places.

The good thing is that Ruger has amazing customer service, which more and more folks are having to avail themselves of these days, unfortunately. Send it to them after calling and voicing your concerns. They will fix it and likely throw in some goodies when it comes back.

376Steyr
12-27-2019, 11:59 PM
"Now for my distinct diss likes. Can sum this up in two words ... trigger pull ... this thing is a hog of a pull and seems like it is half way double action. I do not like nor agree with any sorta double action pull on a pistol ( revolvers are different). Looking at the rear of the slide, I observe the striker moving to the rear by about 1/4 inch before let off. My 1911's are single action ... my Springfield striker type XD40 is completely single action ... but this is a cat of a different color.

I am hoping somebody is going to tell me that some part is in backwards or in the wrong sequence. If this is so I am all ears as this is the one set back that takes the shine off for me."

Sorry, man. That spongy, push-back-the-striker setup isn't a bug, it's a feature. The good news is you get the same mushy, relatively light squeeze for every shot, instead of a long hard pull for the first shot and "single action" thereafter.

I haven't used their products, but these guys offer a kit to lighten and smooth that pull, plus there's a nifty video on how to detail strip an SR:

https://gallowayprecision.com/ruger/sr9-and-sr40/smooth-it-trigger-kits-for-ruger-sr9-sr9c-sr40-sr40c-sr45

bigted
12-28-2019, 08:17 AM
I can deal with some "spongy" feel but I bet this thing is 10+ pounds of final letoff. I also read and see on you tube about the light trigger pull ... not so much on mine. This thing keeps getting tougher and tougher till it finally breaks and fires.

Now this is all said before actually shooting.

And yes this is a used pistol.

marlin39a
12-28-2019, 09:17 AM
When the SR9 was first released, there were issues with the trigger. Ruger recalled the pistols, and replaced the triggers with a new setup. Either way, I'd contact Ruger on the problem.

contender1
12-28-2019, 10:18 AM
As Marlin39a has mentioned,, maybe a POLITE call to Ruger is in order. An increasing trigger pull weight is not normal.
When I got mine,, it got used a lot early on,, in our NRA Women On Target Clinics. A LOT of the ladies tried different 9mm's (after working up to them,) and most found it easy to shoot. And most of our ladies are elderly,, with limited hand strength.

Contact Ruger,, politely ask for a tech for the SR9,, and explain to that person what's going on. Then,, a trip to Ruger will most likely be in order,, but I'll bet you get back a super sweet gun.

bigted
12-28-2019, 10:26 AM
Great advice on contacting Ruger. Was hoping there would be some home improvements but I really like the OEM aspect along with the bill of health from them.

Thanks for this good advice.

Gonna go try it out first tho. Gotta shoot it. Wouldnt be rite to not at least try it before hoisting the white flag.

FergusonTO35
12-28-2019, 01:17 PM
The SR9c I used to have had a smooth, light, double action style trigger after the initial take up.

bigted
01-04-2020, 08:16 PM
Got to get to the range today with the SR 9.

Glad I did nothing till I shot it. What a nice shooter! The trigger does not bother me like I figured it would. I got spoiled on my 1911's trigger and the Springfield XD 40. This Ruger is nothing like them ... but ... having said that ... I do not mind it nearly as much as anticipated. I will contact Ruger tho and see if this pistol is the one they gave a upgrade on and if so ... I will send it in for whatever they suggest.

Do not know if it is Ruger ... or the previous owner ... but the throat is splendid. Ate everything I fed it ... to include 125 and 158 grain Lee 357 boolits PC'd and sized back to .357 inch. Just ate everything I fed it without a bobble nor wobble.

All in all I really like it. Money WELL spent.

Thank you all who reply'd to this post. Appreciate your experience and suggestions as well as the direct reply's.

contender1
01-04-2020, 09:40 PM
Can we say; "I told ya so" without upsetting you??? :D :D

Seriously,, kudos on your gun. They are different & once tried,, quite nice.

bigted
01-05-2020, 01:46 AM
Yes you can LOL[smilie=l:

Can you fella's tell me about your factory throats? Mine is generous and kinda curious if they all come like this or if the previous owner had it throated.

Catch22
01-13-2020, 11:21 PM
If it's anything like it's baby brother (SR9C), you'll love it. I've got one and it's just below my Kimber as my favorite handgun.

Mine has upgraded night sights and trigger, which made it that much nicer a weapon.

It's the only one of my guns I've actually had to draw in a SD situation and have no doubts it would have done the job had I had to use it. It's reliable with anything I've fed it and has a good feel and accuracy.

454PB
01-14-2020, 12:40 AM
According to Ruger's website, they still make and sell all the SR series.

https://ruger.com/products/srSeries/models.html

bigted
01-14-2020, 11:47 PM
Seen a you tube where this fella cut a ring off the firing pin spring to lighten up the pull. Did so and the improvement is great. Smoothing the firing pin body helped as well. Better by far.

bigted
01-15-2020, 02:32 PM
Can a GLOCK owner or someone "in the know" tell me if the SR Rugers and Glock pistols share the same "trigger mechanic's" as each other ... or are the Glocks the same "trigger mechanic's" as the Springfield XD's?

Just wondering at the statements of a "GOOD" and "FINE" triggers on these SR pistols may come from folks that have been firing a LIKE mechanical style pistols.

My Springfield XD 40 has a single action trigger that is WONDERFUL in comparison to my SR trigger ( having said this ... the trigger on the SR 9 is very acceptable!) It is just a very different FEEL then the Springfield XD.