PDA

View Full Version : Custom handgun Grips

Hickory
12-22-2019, 03:40 PM
Although I do not have any custom grips for any of my handguns, but, would like to for one of my S&W's. Let's see what you have and who made them.
I could use some ideas.

El Bibliotecario
12-22-2019, 11:27 PM
These are Herrett's stocks, individually made to suit each customer's hand. These are a dull oil finish; they can also be ordered with a glossier finish. I begin using Herrett's stocks on my Smith and Wessons decades ago, and over the years their high quality has remained constant.

contender1
12-22-2019, 11:40 PM
May I suggest you look at; "Lone Star Custom Grips" by the maker, Zane Thompson. He's one of the guys who's work is quietly becoming well known among serious shooters for top quality.

nicholst55
12-23-2019, 06:00 AM
How much are you looking to spend? That's a major consideration. Scott Kolar, Keith Brown, and John Culina all make excellent, beautiful custom grips - but they're not 'cheap.'

Hickory
12-23-2019, 07:33 AM
Thanks everyone.
I wonder how tough American Holly is.

Wayne Smith
12-23-2019, 08:24 AM
Very tough, but I've not seen much that I would describe as pretty.

Buzz Krumhunger
12-23-2019, 09:33 AM
I’ve seen some American Holly that looks a lot like ivory, if you like the appearance of ivory. I thought they were very handsome on a blued revolver.

Beecherkid
12-23-2019, 10:46 AM
253444 Here is a picture of American Holly on a clone Schofield.253445 Also on a Ruger.

Tatume
12-23-2019, 11:03 AM
I have boxes full of grips that I don't use. Then I hit upon Altamont Grips. https://www.altamontco.com/

Now I have Altamont grips for all my S&W KLN revolvers. I'm particular to the Walter Roper grips, and have a pretty walnut set to install on the PC Model 686 my wife is giving me for Christmas this year.

Green Frog
12-23-2019, 11:37 AM
Those Roper style grips made by Altamont for S&W K-frames look pretty good from the side, but although I haven’t been able to afford better for my custom-built K-32 yet, I find them to be a little shiny and a little thin in profile. Your opinion may vary though, since by their very nature, grips are a very personal taste. The Altamont grips, along with those from Ahrends and the ones from Thailand via e-Bay bridge the gap between factory and high dollar custom grips. Figure on $50-150 as a bottom line, then for truly top end custom grips, the sky is the limit. It would be nice to be able to try them before purchase to see how they feel to you.

Froggie

country gent
12-23-2019, 12:24 PM
Herrets used to want a hand tracing of your hand to fit the grips to you. Wasn't hard to do piece of paper on a flat hard surface, sharp pencil held straight up and down, and trace around strong hand. I like the Herret frips and the fit they provide

JonB_in_Glencoe
12-23-2019, 12:49 PM
A year or so ago, I was considering the grips from Thailand. I didn't buy, but I copied/posted a few photos. They sure look nice.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?360035-S-amp-W-wood-Grips-The-Thailand-edition

JonB_in_Glencoe
12-23-2019, 12:55 PM
These custom grips came with this Ruger BH 41mag.
Handmade by a CB member (or his father?), that I bought the gun from.

Tatume
12-23-2019, 04:47 PM
Roper style grips made by Altamont ... I find them to be a little shiny and a little thin in profile.

I have several sets, and the solid wood grips are not shiny. They appear to be rubbed with carnauba wax. Some of the other Altamont grips are made of stabilized wood, and they are shiny. Yes, they are thin in the waist, but are thicker than "Coke bottles" in the palm. As a double-action shooter I find them to be very comfortable. A person who shoots single action and does not "choke up" on the grips as much might not like them. The Coke bottle style target grips are very similar in appearance, but have dimensions more like traditional S&W target grips (I have some of those as well).

You are correct, fit of handgun grips is a very personal matter. This is why I have that box full of grips that I don't use.

Take care, Tom

Green Frog
12-23-2019, 07:45 PM
Hi Tom. I just looked up on the mantle as I was hanging Christmas cards and noticed about a half dozen pairs there. Yesterday I found a cigar box full of them on a shelf in the basement. :holysheep This is getting out of control here; I'm going to have to set up a table at a gun show and sell off a bunch of them. My favorite factory stock for K-frames is still the finger groove smooth combats. I've never found a factory J-frame grip I really like, so I usually just use the Magna-type most come with. I actually prefer these ebony smooth combats I got from Thailand via fleaBay for the guns I really shoot because they enclose the rear grip frame and fit my hand nicely.

BTW, I guess Altamont must have changed their finish. My set in walnut are pretty slick and shiny. I asked whether they would do a special order for Roper style checkering on a set of Coke Bottle blanks, but they said no special orders. :-(

Froggie

Buzz Krumhunger
12-23-2019, 09:02 PM
A year or so ago, I was considering the grips from Thailand. I didn't buy, but I copied/posted a few photos. They sure look nice.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?360035-S-amp-W-wood-Grips-The-Thailand-edition

I bought a set ostensibly made for a Python. They look good but come nowhere near fitting the frame of the gun.

DHDeal
12-23-2019, 10:46 PM
Thanks everyone.

Pretty tough. I had 2 RBH gripfames fitted with it a few years back. Neither had any real figure unless you looked real hard. Kinda like an ivory looking wood. It has yellowed with time even though it has had multiple coats of tru-oil. Both frames are stainless and even though it might not seem like the light color would look good, they do.

contender1
12-24-2019, 12:18 AM
Lots of options.
A question was asked about American Holly. I truly like this wood. It's tough, and when finished with Tri-Oil,, it takes on the look of aged ivory. I've fooled several folks with that stuff. On a blued gun,, they really look nice!

LUCKYDAWG13
12-24-2019, 02:27 PM
Thanks everyone.

253508 like any other wood grip

romance_coffee
01-12-2020, 11:27 AM
Grashorn Gunworks out of Wyoming!

Plate plinker
01-12-2020, 11:33 AM
I have boxes full of grips that I don't use. Then I hit upon Altamont Grips. https://www.altamontco.com/

Now I have Altamont grips for all my S&W KLN revolvers. I'm particular to the Walter Roper grips, and have a pretty walnut set to install on the PC Model 686 my wife is giving me for Christmas this year.

I like that grip. Elegant and classy, very nice.

megasupermagnum
01-13-2020, 03:40 PM
It seems everyone and his brother makes grips for S&W and 1911's. Does anyone do custom for Ruger double actions?

JonB_in_Glencoe
01-13-2020, 04:20 PM
It seems everyone and his brother makes grips for S&W and 1911's. Does anyone do custom for Ruger double actions?

I'm not sure if you consider Altamont as custom. I ordered these fish scale panels for my SRH, regular item listed on their website. The gun is long gone, I now have the grips panels on my GP-100. They are super grippy :)

megasupermagnum
01-13-2020, 08:32 PM
I'm not sure where I would draw the line of custom. Something made to order I guess. Definitely not grip panels, I'm after a whole grip made to fit my hand. Herrett's will do it... for an extra $300 plus you ship them your gun. Has anyone asked Scott Kolar or Keith Brown if they would do Ruger's?

Richnewcast
01-13-2020, 10:52 PM
I bought Herrets roper stocks for my red hawk a few years back and they are great. Sent in the hand print and I can touch my middle finger w my thumb easily now. It hurts more to shoot it vs the hogue but the control on follow up shots is incredible. Highly recommend the Herrets stocks

megasupermagnum
01-13-2020, 11:03 PM
I bought Herrets roper stocks for my red hawk a few years back and they are great. Sent in the hand print and I can touch my middle finger w my thumb easily now. It hurts more to shoot it vs the hogue but the control on follow up shots is incredible. Highly recommend the Herrets stocks

I would but Herrett's was adamant that they did not have tooling to do Ruger's. They would do it, but it was a custom fee. On top of the usual cost of around $125, they were trying to charge me over $200 for "fitting", and to do this I would have to pay to ship my gun both ways. All said and done, about $400 was what I was quoted last spring. I really wish they were wrong, or at the very least offer a semi-finished grip for me to fit. I love my Herrett Jordan Troopers.

bluelund79
01-13-2020, 11:55 PM
Another vote for Herrett’s. Here are my three sets of Jordan Troopers. The fit and finish are superb, and they have by far the best customer service that I’ve experienced. I appreciate the way they do business, it made the wait more than worth it.

Dan Cash
01-14-2020, 12:35 AM
Herretts or Grasshorn. They are different types of product but both very nice. For Cpolt and Smith, Herrets will fit your gun and fit you. Grasshorn deals more with horn and antler and perhaps bone. He made a fine set of stags for my Schofield when he was still in Greeley, CO. There are also 7 or 8 revolvers with Herretts around here that give 100% satisfaction for fit and beauty.

Richnewcast
01-14-2020, 10:50 PM
my stocks were for the prior generation redhawk 44 mag. I sent a hand print and tracing of the pistol butt. The cost was under 200 bucks and to this days it’s the only custom accessory I have ever purchased. I did ask if they could do some stocks for my super redhawk and they don’t make stocks for those. I will say they are worth the price I paid and then some but wouldn’t have bought them for 400 that’s but they are awsome.

357Mag
01-14-2020, 11:23 PM
Hickory -

Howdy !

Herretts Jordan Trooper stocks work well for me, on my 4" "N" frame .357Mag carry gun. My first set were walnut. Now I am using their Jordan Trooper stock
in Goncalo Alves.

With regards,
357Mag

StrawHat
01-15-2020, 03:52 PM
Although I do not have any custom grips for any of my handguns, but, would like to for one of my S&W's. Let's see what you have and who made them.
I could use some ideas.

I am very partial to smooth elk magnas with a grip adapter.

Kevin

Hickory
01-15-2020, 03:56 PM
I have shot guns w/ grip adapters and they do not mesh well with my short fingers.

StrawHat
01-15-2020, 10:31 PM
Nice thing about grip adapters is they are removable!

I’ll take any you don’t like!

Kevin

megasupermagnum
01-15-2020, 11:13 PM
I have never heard of grip adapters. Does anyone make one so S&W grips will fit on a Ruger?

nicholst55
01-16-2020, 12:56 AM
I have never heard of grip adapters. Does anyone make one so S&W grips will fit on a Ruger?

That's not how they work. A 'grip adapter' is a piece of metal that fits along the front strap and fills some of the gap behind the trigger guard as pictured in post #31.

megasupermagnum
01-16-2020, 03:05 AM
So it's more of a grip filler, not actually an adapter? Dang. It seems like a guy could make good money making Ruger to S&W adapters though.

CCP223845Luvr
01-25-2020, 07:06 PM
The graining could be nicer on this set but I've always been fond of Nill grips. Their stippling is very tacky without making your skin sensitive.

jrayborn
02-15-2020, 09:46 PM
Some beautiful examples of custom grips!

Thundarstick
02-15-2020, 10:40 PM
K frame-Aharends retro-bananna for me!

Thundarstick
02-15-2020, 10:42 PM

Eagle Secret Agent on my GP100, and Thailand on my SP101.

JSnover
02-16-2020, 08:30 AM
I'm another Altamont fan!