PDA

View Full Version : oh the casting bug bites me

corey012778
11-11-2008, 02:52 AM
I ordered a mold for the 7.62x39. it came in today.

problem, I don't have a die for it. :roll:
looking at lee dies, which one to get.
any other brands out there for it. I'm cheap. [smilie=1:

loading for an sks.

Buckshot
11-11-2008, 03:30 AM
I ordered a mold for the 7.62x39. it came in today.

problem, I don't have a die for it. :roll:
looking at lee dies, which one to get.
any other brands out there for it. I'm cheap. [smilie=1:

loading for an sks.

.............Die? You mean a boolit size die? Very possibly you won't need one. The only time you HAVE to size is if the firearm requires it. You really don't want to have to beat the action closed with a mallet :-) Otherwise you can use a lube-size die a thou larger then the 'as cast' OD, for lubing and seating the GC.

...............Buckshot

shotman
11-11-2008, 04:12 AM
buckshot is right you didnt say what brand mold but tumble lube and you should be ready to rock and roll . cast and autos dont like each other too well so you will need to clean offen rick

corey012778
11-11-2008, 08:55 AM
no I need a reloading die, and sizers.

as for cleaning, been shooting Russian ammo have to clean it every time I shoot anyway

lee ctl312-160-2r is the mold.

Bret4207
11-11-2008, 09:40 AM
Lee dies are fine. Nothing wrong with them. The only prep I recommend is take some carb cleaner or soomething like that and wash the dies out good. Some seem to have a lot of dusty crap in them, and that goes for ALL dies from ALL manufactuers. I found garbage in an RCBS dies a few years back.

You can also use the Lee push through sizer. It's cheap, accurate, seats your GC and is cheap. Did I mention it was cheap? Well, anyway, it's cheap and it works good. You can try the Lee Liquid Alox (LLA=Mule Snot/Frog Snot) and see how it works. Many of us find it works fine up to 14-1600 fps given a proper fitting boolit. This will give you a chance to see if you really like casting without spending a fortune.

BTW- There is an excellent article on castin the SKS at the Casting Fellows site, there's a link here soemplace.

Fat-beeman
11-17-2008, 09:01 PM
hello all first time here nice sight. I used lee molds for yrs and there lube/sizers with alox is fast sized right.wished could find more sizes of lee molds. I shoot everything from223 to upper30 cal mostly cast with reduces loads and gas checks.
Don:Fire:

rbstern
11-18-2008, 11:43 AM
I just started casitng and loading 7.62x39, using the Lee 312-160 mold. I sized using a RCBS lube sizer at .311, with Red Carnuba lube. Loaded using Lee's RGB 7.62x39 dies on a Coax press. Haven't had time to shoot them yet. They'll be fed into a Yugo M59.

Buckshot, I actually was following your loads from another thread for this bullet. Loaded with surplus IMR 4895.