PDA

View Full Version : Preferred brass for fireforming?

Idaho45guy
12-21-2019, 08:08 AM
Is one manufacturer better than another for fireforming brass? Got a .30-06 AI and was just going to just shoot .30-06 in it and use the spent cases for reloading. I have .30-06 Springfield in Winchester, Federal, and Remington flavors. Was wondering if one brand of brass was better than the other, i.e Federal brass is softer and forms better, or Remington brass is thicker and holds up better, etc.

skeettx
12-21-2019, 09:49 AM
Sorry, they are about the same if annealed,

I would use Remington for the AI, Federal for the 03-A3, Winchester for the Model 70, Hornady for the Garand, etc, etc :)

https://estore.thecmp.org/Catalog/Item/444H3006

Mike

lightman
12-21-2019, 10:31 AM
I doubt that any of the ones that you listed will really shine above the others. Federal seems to be softer and the primer pockets get loose quicker than the others. The Remington that I have weighed and measured are all over the place, spec wise. Winchester has given me good service but there seems to be a difference between the quality of their new brass and the brass from their loaded ammo. I have very little experience with Hornady brass.

Lapua makes brass in 30-06 and a hundred of them would last a long time. But, hold onto your wallet! A few reloaders report getting good service from some of the lesser known brands. Headstamps like CBC, PMC, ect may be worth trying.

Idaho45guy
12-21-2019, 10:41 AM
I have more Federal than anything else, so I guess I'll just use that. I was given three boxes of shells with some reloaded and some not. One box of Federal and the other two Winchester and maybe 20 total loaded, but he loaded them hot.