PDA

View Full Version : Soda can shims

sixgunner452
12-20-2019, 07:59 PM
I am writing to ask if anyone knows how tough a shim made from aluminum beverage cans would be. The reason why I ask is I recently purchased a Rossi 92. I've been slicking her up, and noticed the lever had more slop side-to-side than I like anyways.

I know you can buy commercial shims, I like to do things myself. I got out my gap/blade gauge, measured about 20-25 thousands gap in side play. I disassembled the action, and removed the lever. I cut strips from a Coka-Cola can, cut a hole with a common paper hole punch. It's a hair smaller than the actin block pin/screw. I got a Phillips screwdriver, and reamed it a hair. I installed 2 an each side. Play is now alot better.

Do ya think I have a permanent fix, or am I gonna have t make extras to replace often. So how tough is a soda can shim?

Thanks, Randy

Buzz Krumhunger
12-20-2019, 08:35 PM
I don’t think they’ll last long. Particularly if your Rossi 92 is as roughly finished internally as mine is.

Have you considered using a piece cut off of the appropriately thick feeler gauge blade?

BNE
12-20-2019, 08:38 PM
I think it will last longer than you think. And it was a good idea. Try it. If it fails, let us know!

BNE.

Texas by God
12-20-2019, 08:51 PM
Aluminum doesn’t stand up to friction very well. But it might work ok with a bit of grease, like BNE said- let us know! Gotta love those Rossi lever action (kits)!

country gent
12-20-2019, 09:17 PM
They should hold for awhile, but probably not a permanent fix. Better would be a 1 piece shim on each side, and a brass or steel shim.

Gtek
12-20-2019, 09:23 PM
Feeler gauge user here on many things. Figure what you need and clamp well between two very smooth pieces of steel and drill required hole diameter. Scribe or mark OD and cut with tin snips = perfect shim.

sixgunner452
12-20-2019, 10:09 PM
Gentlemen, I did polish the lever and action bars. I also greased them with wheel bearing grease. I had planned on brass or the actual feeler gauge itself. I knew drilling the brass, or feeler gauge would be alot harder, though I would try aluminum. Paper hole punch was alot easier than drilling. It did make a huge improvement.

Only time will tell. Thanks, Randy.

LAGS
12-20-2019, 10:17 PM
I driill or punch a hole in Brass or a Feeler guage material.
Then use a tapered reamer to make the hole the final size you need.
Reaming it with things like a punch or screwdriver will leave a small flair on the edge of the hole which will increase the thickness at that point.
A reamer will cut the hole true with no burr

sixgunner452
12-20-2019, 10:34 PM
LAGS, thanks for your input. I will keep that in mind if the need arises. I have a couple brass stencils that would make good shim stock, probably one on each side, I will wait, shoot and see. Randy.

Elroy
12-20-2019, 10:52 PM
If you want steel shims an old tape measure is great to use.

longbow
12-20-2019, 11:02 PM
Not sure where the shims go in a Rossi 92 but I tried making a shim out of soda can for my Mossberg Slugster to take up the slop between barrel and receiver for slug shooting. Easy enough to make but A) a bit thin for the clearance and B) it was easily damaged and tore after a few assembly/disassemblies. I subsequently used brass shim stock of the appropriate thickness and it is much better.

If you have something sliding on it I'd go brass or steel as stated above. In my case it is a static shim with the only rubbing being when barrel is removed or reinstalled.

Longbow

Stephen Cohen
12-20-2019, 11:41 PM
I driill or punch a hole in Brass or a Feeler guage material.
Then use a tapered reamer to make the hole the final size you need.
Reaming it with things like a punch or screwdriver will leave a small flair on the edge of the hole which will increase the thickness at that point.
A reamer will cut the hole true with no burr

I use the above method often, I have heaps of old feeler gauges of steel and brass and often the hole the retainer pin goes through is a close enough fit. Regards Stephen

indian joe
12-20-2019, 11:44 PM
Feeler gauge user here on many things. Figure what you need and clamp well between two very smooth pieces of steel and drill required hole diameter. Scribe or mark OD and cut with tin snips = perfect shim.

Jeez ! why waste a feeler gauge when ya can buy a piece of shim steel down the street for pennies????

sixgunner452
12-21-2019, 12:13 AM
Elroy. that's a great idea about the old tape measure for shims. I happen to have about a 4' section in my shop. I think I just found a use for. But for now, I am curious just how long my soda can shims will last. Alot of beverage can gas checks get made/shot every year. Thanks, Randy.

adcoch1
12-21-2019, 12:19 AM
Elroy. that's a great idea about the old tape measure for shims. I happen to have about a 4' section in my shop. I think I just found a use for. But for now, I am curious just how long my soda can shims will last. Alot of beverage can gas checks get made/shot every year. Thanks, Randy.

With a clean hole those shims might last a long time. I would use white lithium grease on both sides of each shim ( read: between them) and they should last. White lithium will stay put and not leak out as it gets warm.

sixgunner452
12-21-2019, 01:43 AM
adcoch1, I only lubed on the outsides of the shims. Something to keep in mind. Thanks, Randy.

rondog
12-21-2019, 02:00 AM
Your aluminum shims may last far longer than you think, maybe years. A drop of oil will help.

And FWIW, a soda can shim under the Rossi's trigger spring is a common upgrade too.

Bazoo
12-21-2019, 02:39 AM
The lid off a can of peas will hit real close to the .020 mark I bet. Steel and free.

Gewehr-Guy
12-21-2019, 09:52 AM
Another material not mentioned is a plastic shim, made out of an old oil bottle. I've used them to make small oil resistant gaskets

6bg6ga
12-21-2019, 10:39 AM
The lid off a can of peas will hit real close to the .020 mark I bet. Steel and free.

The problem as I see it is who eats canned peas?

6bg6ga
12-21-2019, 10:41 AM
I am writing to ask if anyone knows how tough a shim made from aluminum beverage cans would be. The reason why I ask is I recently purchased a Rossi 92. I've been slicking her up, and noticed the lever had more slop side-to-side than I like anyways.

I know you can buy commercial shims, I like to do things myself. I got out my gap/blade gauge, measured about 20-25 thousands gap in side play. I disassembled the action, and removed the lever. I cut strips from a Coka-Cola can, cut a hole with a common paper hole punch. It's a hair smaller than the actin block pin/screw. I got a Phillips screwdriver, and reamed it a hair. I installed 2 an each side. Play is now alot better.

Do ya think I have a permanent fix, or am I gonna have t make extras to replace often. So how tough is a soda can shim?

Thanks, Randy

I'd do it. It will last for a long time. I doubt that your going to be putting 200 rounds thru it a day so I'd give it a shot. Your not out anything unless your state has a pop can deposit.

pietro
12-21-2019, 11:20 AM

I've used BCS (beer can shims) successfully for many years for static uses (like under an iron sight with a loose dovetail), but IDK how long one would stand up if it were installed in a friction setting.

I would say, since they're easily replaceable, install the shim and use it until if/when it fails...….

Ernest
12-24-2019, 11:58 PM
With a drop of oil now and again I will be willing to bet that your shims will last for years.

Greg S
12-25-2019, 10:34 AM
Go to a hobby shop and ask where there K&N metals display is at. They have brass and stainless steel stock, shim material packs ect.

I know they have SS flat stock in .006, .013 and .022. Take a micrometernal with you .

sixgunner452
12-26-2019, 02:50 AM
Greg S, I got bored. Made a couple brass shims from a brass stencil I had laying around the shop. One on each side, brass stock about twice as thick as aluminum can. Thanks, Randy.

Alferd Packer
12-26-2019, 06:36 AM
I like to cut a thin slice from a piece of copper tubing or pipe and then tap on it with a flat face hammer and a smooth piece of steel.
It will start to spread and get thinner like the old penny on a railroad track trick.
I have made many a shim or washer from a slice of copper tubing tapped out flat.
Even as small as eighth inch tubing flattened for an electrical connection. The hole is already in the center, or is reamed to fit.
George Nonte used a slice of different caliber cartridge cases for brass shims in stead of copper.
Steel tubing can be utilized the same way as well as even a thin slice of a PVC pipe which isn't as durable, but can be crushed into place under pressure into a threaded fitting like a lock washer for a static load.
Just another way of fulfilling a space or a need.
A piece of half inch copper tubing sliced.Then hammer the slices will make a whole bunch of shims and washers just playing around.

Alferd Packer
12-26-2019, 06:48 AM
Make a lead washer from a cast lead bullet and drill a hole, or cut off a thin slice from a 22 rimfire case and gently tap it flat.
Just use your imagination or a piece of hot glue.
Let the need dictate the fix.

john.k
12-26-2019, 06:18 PM
..some of the energy drink cans are drawn stainless steel ,so as the drink doesnt corrode them.....who knows what it does to the 12 yr olds who live on the stuff.

RoyEllis
12-26-2019, 06:45 PM
Dremel with cutoff wheel, cut a scrap cartridge case lengthwise and little bit above head. Anneal it good, open up & tap it flat with hammer. Lotsa shim stock, cheap and various thickness from neck to head area.

LAGS
12-26-2019, 08:25 PM
My wife makes " Pea Salad " about once a Month to take to work for her co workers.
They love it.