PDA

View Full Version : Why do powders get wet?????

abunaitoo
12-20-2019, 02:09 AM
I once had a un-opened can of powder all stink and moist.
I know it was un-opened because I had to pry the metal cap off.
Remember the old IMR cans?????
Always wondered why it go that way.
Other powders in the cabinet were all fine.

I really hate to see things go to waste.
Was tempted to put in in a toaster oven, on low heat to dry it out.
:kidding:

Winger Ed.
12-20-2019, 02:26 AM
If a seam got rusty, humidity could get in there over time and do that.

I had some IMR in metal cans with a retail price sticker of $2. on them awhile back.

They were sealed, but had dried out.
The powder didn't smell as strong since the solvents-- probably acetone, had evaporated.

It looked OK, but the weighed charges seemed to fill up the cases more.
It worked fine,,,, until it blew my M1A apart.

What I figure happened:
If each little speck still had the same energy as when it was new, being lighter, with a weighed charge, I loaded more of them per case.

For your stuff:
I hate for things to go to waste either.
Ya might double check, but someone said old powder makes great plant fertilizer.

lefty o
12-20-2019, 02:38 AM
they get wet because they absorb moisture from the atmosphere. as for new sealed can, nothing is 100%, and that can likely had a small flaw allowing air/moisture to enter the can.

Bent Ramrod
12-20-2019, 09:11 AM
If it smells, and is moist and clumpy; especially if it smells sour or “nitrous,” (like ozone, or the air after a thunderstorm), the powder is decomposing. (This is not the normal ether/acetone smell that new powder has.)

Nitrate esters (like nitrocellulose or nitroglycerine) are thermodynamically unstable. Nothing can keep them from decomposing, given enough time. The rate is determined by the storage temperature; the higher the temperature, the faster the decomposition. The decomposition products are nitrous and nitric acid species, that accelerate the decomposition as they are released into the powder.

The only thing that can be done about this situation is to add stabilizers, decomposition retardants, to the powder formulation. These compounds react with and tie up the decomposition species, so they don’t react with the powder itself. Generally, a good formulation with good stabilizers will last indefinitely under cool, dry storage conditions. It is still “decomposing,” chemically speaking, but not quickly enough to be a problem over normal times of storage and use.

Sometimes, though, they don’t get all the acids out of the nitrocellulose after manufacture, so the stabilizers are “used up” simply upon addition. Since they are gone, the powder will quickly get “moist,” clumpy and sticky, as the acid species come out, even under good storage conditions. These acids also rust the inside of powder cans and corrode the insides of cartridge cases loaded with them.

I once got a plastic jar of new-manufacture Hodgdon powder at a gun show that turned into a clumpy, sticky, sour-smelling mess after about six months. It made an impressive fireworks display in the bottom of my charcoal grill. On the other hand, I have powders that were phased out before WWII that are still in good condition.

country gent
12-20-2019, 10:09 AM
The old metal cans seams were simply lap seams on the sides and rolled on ends. no sealant or solder like a food can. reason being they didn't have to old a vacuum or pressure, and the folded seams were thought to open before enough pressure could build to make an explosion. Even the paper tube cans the ends were just crimped to the tube o glue or sealants for these reasons.

Powders that don't look feel, or act like begore need to be used with caution. Start light and work up watching pressure sighs and velocity. If a given charge seems to fill cases more or less, seems to produce more recoil or higher velocities, shows pressure signs its time to stop and evaluate things.

I really liked the old 8lb IMR metal cans. when empty a can opener made them into nice desk sized wastebaskets, or other containers. Ive had a 4895 can under my computer desk for years with the top cut out.

Hossfly
12-20-2019, 10:21 AM
I have some old pulled powder 2200 that was clumped up and hard chuncks, put on a cookie sheet spread out. Then put in a frost free freezer, after a few days was as dry as ever. Took out and quickly funneled into an old plastic powder container and stored in a climate controlled area. Still using that powder in .223 today. The frost free freezer will dehydrate very well.

dverna
12-20-2019, 10:23 AM
Never risk using questionable powder. I have powder that is decades old and has not deteriorated. Unless air or sunlight gets to it, it should last a very long time. Heck, look at all the old surplus ammunition that is still safe and serviceable.

MostlyLeverGuns
12-20-2019, 11:16 AM
Long ago, I recollect Elmer Keith working up loads from 'new' powder, then only using that VOLUME of powder after initial load work up. This technique avoided weight changes due to humidity and volatility. Of course any powder that shows signs of being degraded in any fashion, just doesn't look right, or has lost identification should should be scattered outdoors as fertilizer. I still have powder in old Hodgdon cardboard containers. I am VERY careful with containers like this. Extremely low humidity has been my concern in Colorado and Wyoming. I did lose one $4.95 can of IMR 4198 to 'old age', got dusty and smelled bad, it got tossed.

Tripplebeards
12-20-2019, 11:46 AM
I’m guessing when the Metal cans get ice cold and then warm up they sweat on the inside like BP rifles do. I’m guessing if I spread out some wet powder in an open container or cookie sheet eventually it will dry out and be just fine.

alamogunr
12-20-2019, 11:59 AM
Back in the months leading up to Obama's election the first time, I went on a spending spree and loaded up on powder and primers. Among the powders was an 8 lb jug of DP85. I've used very little of it over the years. Awhile back I asked if it would be suitable for reloading .308 Win. I was advised by one responder not to use it because of deterioration. This powder has been in my shop, which is both heated and airconditioned year round. I have two large wooden boxes that I store powder in(not going to say how much) and so far I've not noticed any change in any of the stored powder.

I figure that as long as I don't try to push the limit in loading, I shouldn't have any problem using any of the surplus powders that I have on hand.

Sorry if this looks like a thread hi-jack, but the recommendation to dispose of the powder really didn't sit well.

largom
12-20-2019, 12:06 PM
Double based powder does make good fertilizer for rose plants and others.

firefly1957
12-20-2019, 01:14 PM
Sounds to me that your can of powder went bad perhaps it was a bad batch that did not have enough buffers to keep it from breaking down once the process starts it snowballs !

I have only had an issue with one powder so far it was some old Alcan 8 that was stored in a margarine tub for 15 years or more and it was clumped together and stinky . The rest of the powder in the original can is still fine my guess is there was a chemical reaction with the plastic container.

Walks
12-20-2019, 01:42 PM
My BiL bought 50+ cans of Hercules Powder. Mostly 1lb cans about 30yrs ago. Stored in a closet near the beach for 5yrs, then moved to a basement app. 25 miles inland down in San Diego.

12yrs ago he gave me 2,000 starline .357Mag cases and enough primer, bullets and 3 cans of Unique, to load for him. Cans had a bit of rust on the bottom, very small bit. 1st 2 cans were Ok. The 3rd was clumpy and smelly. Dumped it in the flower bed.

He checked all open cans. No bad ones, at least not yet. Sent me a can of Bullseye and one of Unique. They are fine.

No word on the few rifle powders he got.

fatelk
12-20-2019, 02:07 PM
I just burned an 8lb jug of Accurate 2495. It was unopened, sealed. It was bulged like a balloon, and hissed when I opened it. I poured it out and burned a pound or two at a time. What a flame! It was recalled powder, and Accurate sent me a check.

trebor44
12-20-2019, 03:20 PM
Double based powder does make good fertilizer for rose plants and others.

Yep, never wasted! Just spread the stuff around the yard or garden.

wv109323
12-20-2019, 08:43 PM
I have read of some WW2 powder that was not properly washed after one of the processes.IIRC some of the acid was not removed.

abunaitoo
12-20-2019, 10:29 PM
Can was in great condition.
No rust.
Powder smelled real bad.
I think the can was sealed tight, because I didn't smell anything until I opened it.
Was kind of pissed. Whole can wasted.
It was IMR something. Orange can. Maybe 4831?????
Was a number of years ago.

SciFiJim
12-21-2019, 03:18 AM
I've been visiting with my daughter in Kaneohe for the last three days. Your powder is wet because it rains EVERY DAY. I love visiting Hawaii, but it's too damp for my old bones.

abunaitoo
12-22-2019, 04:22 PM
It does rain almost everyday.
Even in the summer.
This can was sealed, and was wet.
Other cans that were not sealed, were fine.
Probably just got a bad one.

GregLaROCHE
12-22-2019, 04:34 PM
Not a good idea to use questionable powder. Is it really worth it, when you count your time, primers and boolits? How can you be sure to get constant results? Go with powder you are sure of.

lightman
12-22-2019, 06:25 PM
I suspect it was condensation from the temperature changes. Why one can did and the others didn't, who knows?

Elroy
12-22-2019, 06:36 PM
I have never had powder to become damp,but if it did I could not,and would not trust it..In my experience the IMR traditional powders all stink .I could go buy a jug of brand new 4064,or 4350,and it would smell sour.

GregLaROCHE
12-23-2019, 05:14 AM
After I open a container of powder, I put in a couple of silica gel packs, to be sure the powder stays as dry as possible.

abunaitoo
12-23-2019, 07:35 PM
Powder went to a friend who like to burn it in his driveway.
All the powder that I get from pulling heads, goes to him.
Unless it's a big lots of surplus rounds.
Those I record the amount in a case, and keep it.

Cole440
01-17-2020, 11:35 AM
Yeah wasting powder is a bummer. I just sent in my Accurate Arms recall for two lbs of powder. Even though I got a refund it still sucks! Better than getting blown up though!