PDA

View Full Version : Can someone share a Venison Stew recipe with me?

trickyasafox
11-10-2008, 11:11 PM
I want a hearty stew to put over some biscuts- preferably non-crockpot recipes as I did not bring one to school. I have some tenderloin and a serious craving for some heavy stew.

Marlinreloader
11-10-2008, 11:47 PM
I don't have a receipe on hand without pulling out the cookbook. If your at school look up food network or I think it's foodtv.com on your computer and go to recipes or search for stews. I would think with a little effort you will be able to find a killer beef stew(substitute Game for Beef).

I have found some great recipes on there.

Anyway good luck

Marlinreloader

trickyasafox
11-11-2008, 12:19 AM
thanks for the idea marlin!

MT Gianni
11-11-2008, 12:44 AM
One of the best cuts to use in stew is the neck or even the shanks. It needs to be cooked slow and let the collagen's break down releasing flavors into the mixture. The tougher the cut in general the better it is stewed. Tenderloins the inside part of the T-bone are really good with bbq sauce and cooked where they can retain moisture. Loins are good sliced paper thin and fried in butter for a short time then pour brown juices and reddish pink meat over mashed potatoes or a hearty wheat bread. No reason why biscuits wouldn't work either. I think if you stew loin or tenderloin you're setting yourself up for disappointment and wasting a great meal. Gianni

trickyasafox
11-11-2008, 12:50 AM
Good point Gianni- I read about someone just searing loins and then wrapping them in bacon and leaving them to cook on real low heat- sounded fantastic.

Glen
11-11-2008, 12:35 PM
My basic approach to stew is pretty simple -- equal parts meat and veggies. Dice the meat up into bite-sized pieces and sear in a skillet. For the veggies I use equal parts carrots, onions and potatoes, also diced into bite-sized pieces (or you can substitute barley for the potatoes for a yummy variation, just remember that barley swells when you cook it so don't add too much). Toss it all into a stew-pot with enough water to cover everything, add a little garlic, salt, and pepper (to taste), and simmer on low heat for an hour or two, until done.

PS -- an excellent source of recipes online is RecipeSource.com -- they have everything!

bikerjr1
11-23-2008, 04:31 PM
Here is a one pot deer stew that I use while camping. It's fairly fast and easy and only one pot to clean. I use a cast iron one.
cut you deer meat into aprox .5-1" peices
brown it in the pot with one small can of mushroom pieces. season with salt, black pepper and garlic, you can also and in a small cut up onion.
add two cans of stewed tomatoes with juice, just dump them in.
add the following, (drain these)
small can of corn
small can green beans
can of white potatoes (halve or quarter them)
small can of carrots
small can of peas
I add some Greek seasoning with saly and pepper to taste
add about 3-5 good shakes of some Louisiana Hot Sauce (Tobasco has to much vinager in it)
let it cook an hour or so then eat
(naps will result if large quanities are taken)
enjoy,
JR

C A Plater
11-24-2008, 08:36 AM
The are a couple of venison stew recipes on the tcbunch.com site here: Soups, Stews And Other Side Dishes (http://tcbunch.com/home/index.php5?title=Soups%2C_Stews%2C_And_Other_Side_ Dishes)

uncowboy
11-26-2008, 04:23 PM
TAF A crock pot is the way to go and only cost about 10.00 . If not into the slow cooking then another way to get great results with a little time is buy useing a pressure cooker. Pressure cook the vennison chunks 1/2 hour and then build your stew around it. It makes the meat tender and infuses the flavor of the onions and vegies and Sweet Basil. Once you spend $15.00-20.00 on a pressure cooker you will wonder how you ever got along without it. It is also great for making home made soups fast . J.Michael

trickyasafox
11-29-2008, 02:27 PM
thanks everyone!