PDA

View Full Version : 10mm Revolver slow powder no lube

Cheezrichard
12-19-2019, 08:37 PM
Two 50 round groups at 25 yards.no leading and acceptable accuracy .Powder was a surplus ball powder similar to Accurate 1680.Bullets were the NOE 198 and RCBS 180 CB sized .401.Velocity a bit under 700 fps.Super Redhawk 10mm with Burris 3x scope

-Arthur in the Basin

shooting on a shoestring
12-20-2019, 07:37 AM
Welcome aboard!

Gee no lube? Means bare boolits? No powder coating?
I guess I can see that with being under 700 and un-burned ball powder acting as a heat shield during the highest pressure peak then might be getting some barrel sand blasting effect behind the boolit to knock off any bit of leading that did happen.

Looks like a pretty cheap and easy way to get a nice cluster of boolit holes.
I never argue with what works!

I’ve seen a few of those Super RedHawks in 10mm.
Haven’t thought of what I’d use one for.
Got plans for yours?

Tatume
12-20-2019, 08:26 AM
Welcome to the forum.

Ruger SRHs are fabulous guns. Mine are 44 Rem Mag and 454 Casull, and both are very accurate. Comfortable to shoot too.

murf205
12-20-2019, 09:06 AM
Welcome aboard brother, you will love this place. Good people and lots of experience to draw from. That SRH never disappoints and it looks like you are shooting it very well indeed. When you get the speed of those boolits up, you will need lube I'm thinking.

cwlongshot
12-20-2019, 10:45 AM
Why no lube? Or are you powder coating and didnt say?

You really need lube or powdercoat on your cast bullets. It helps with everything.

Great gun hope your enjoying it.

I worked up some 220g HP powder coated loads for my G40 last month that shoot very very well @ almost 1200 fps. Using Blue Dot powder

CW

Groo
12-20-2019, 12:00 PM
Groo here
The graphite left by the powder may be enough to lube the bullet at such low speeds and pressure?????????????

12-20-2019, 12:04 PM
Nicely done. Welcome to the site.

HARRYMPOPE
12-20-2019, 01:35 PM
no powder coating or any of that works .I've also shot bare bullets many times before with good luck.i just don't talk about it much as people think I'm either crazy or lying.

TCLouis
12-20-2019, 02:21 PM
Are you talking WC 680?

tazman
12-20-2019, 08:51 PM
no powder coating or any of that works .I've also shot bare bullets many times before with good luck.i just don't talk about it much as people think I'm either crazy or lying.

I have fired unlubed, uncoated, bare boolits in some of my guns before. They were extremely accurate right up until the leading took over.
After having to remove the lead from the barrel a couple of times, I gave that up.

Cheezrichard
12-21-2019, 12:41 PM
Are you talking WC 680?

Yes from Jeff bartlett,I've had it about 10 years.

Cheezrichard
12-21-2019, 12:42 PM
I have fired unlubed, uncoated, bare boolits in some of my guns before. They were extremely accurate right up until the leading took over.
After having to remove the lead from the barrel a couple of times, I gave that up.

This pistol has 600 shots so far with no leading with the bare bullets

Todd N.
12-21-2019, 12:55 PM

So you fire how many rounds between cleanings?

Cheezrichard
12-21-2019, 02:16 PM
So you fire how many rounds between cleanings?

600 so far without cleaning.just a bore mop a couple times to see if there was any leading

Cheezrichard
12-22-2019, 02:22 AM
Why no lube? Or are you powder coating and didnt say?

You really need lube or powdercoat on your cast bullets. It helps with everything.

Great gun hope your enjoying it.

I worked up some 220g HP powder coated loads for my G40 last month that shoot very very well @ almost 1200 fps. Using Blue Dot powder

CW

I did this because I've found sometimes things people think are essential to accuracy may not be.these are two **50 shot**groups.they were the 600th shots without lube.Considering lm a bad pistol shot imagine what a real pistolero could do.

35remington
12-22-2019, 11:35 AM
Given the very slow powder and low velocity this would be expected to be rather a dirty burning and inefficient combo. Low velocity combined with using a comparative large amount of powder for the low speed you get.

I see doing it for the sake of experimentation, but beyond that moving on to other things would be something I would do, not necessarily saying that is how to do it for you if pursuing oddball things trips your trigger.

tazman
12-22-2019, 12:46 PM

What alloy are you using?
As I stated before, I couldn't get it to work in my guns. I don't doubt for a second that you accomplished this. I am trying to figure out how to make it work for me in a different caliber.
I love experiments like this.

Tracy
12-22-2019, 01:40 PM
As I stated before, I couldn't get it to work in my guns. I don't doubt for a second that you accomplished this. I am trying to figure out how to make it work for me in a different caliber.

So do I. I've shot black powder revolvers with no lube. And I have air rifles that shoot unlubricated lead pellets at up to 950 fps with no leading. So I know it's possible.

Cheezrichard
12-22-2019, 02:41 PM
A mix of range scrap at 14 bhn

Cheezrichard
12-22-2019, 02:47 PM
Given the very slow powder and low velocity this would be expected to be rather a dirty burning and inefficient combo. Low velocity combined with using a comparative large amount of powder for the low speed you get.

I see doing it for the sake of experimentation, but beyond that moving on to other things would be something I would do, not necessarily saying that is how to do it for you if pursuing oddball things trips your trigger.

The reasons

The powder cost me $8 a pound (12g charge)
accuracy holds up long term
gun stays clean from lack of lube
No extra step to lube bullets
Standard deviation in low teens
It's one of the most accurate loads in this gun.

What's not to like?

35remington
12-22-2019, 03:15 PM
I would do it and somewhat more cheaply using much smaller amounts of fast cleaner burning powder. I would figure you are trading lube for a fair amount of dirty unburned powder and my revolvers get allergic to unburned granules under the extractor.

Those are just my reasons. You do you, of course. Got powder, have fun using it. My use of 1680 equivalent is in small rifle cartridges like 25-20 where the IMR4198ish speed is right on the broad use range for the cartridge.

Again, just me. I am sure you are having fun.

Cheezrichard
12-23-2019, 10:00 PM
Post edited to refrain from sarcastic comments.

HARRYMPOPE
12-23-2019, 11:08 PM
Post edited to refrain from sarcastic comments.

I can see why!