PDA

View Full Version : cleaning the volunteer rifle

milcol
12-19-2019, 12:32 PM
After a shooting session is it necessary to remove the barrel when cleaning, or will cleaning with balistol solutionath the range followed by a thorough cleaning of the barrel and nipple at home do the job.
Thanks

Good Cheer
12-19-2019, 06:44 PM
Gonna watch for answers from Volunteer shooters on this.

Years ago while on a business trip, found a nice used one in a shop in Arizona.
Passed it up because there was a string of tiny little pits started in the corners of each rifling groove.

LIMPINGJ
12-19-2019, 07:42 PM
https://youtu.be/Bn83QdYSwOs and https://youtu.be/4a0R3S9tXjc

Buzzard II
12-22-2019, 10:10 AM
Take it apart and clean it. Don't let the sun set on a dirty gun. Ballistol at the range is good, but just a start. I take my gun apart at home ( or motel room if away ) and give it a thorough cleaning. Clean the lock and trigger mechanism too. Fouling will get everywhere.
Bob

rmark
12-22-2019, 11:00 AM
I use a flushing nipple and hose from Track of the Wolf to clean my .58 musket without removing the barrel, using hot water and oiling after drying.

GregLaROCHE
12-23-2019, 07:20 PM
It’s not uncommon to take a BP gun home from the range without cleaning it, especially if there is no water available. I swab the barrel of my smooth bore with a liberal amount of Ballistol, after shooting. As was said above, clean correctly before the sun goes down.

fgd135
12-24-2019, 11:18 AM
Barring some kind of exceptional circumstance, I would never take my PH Volunteer barrel out of the stock, as there's too much chance of damaging the glass-bedding. Even if your Volunteer is not glass-bedded, removing and replacing it will eventually change the barrel's position and potentially affect accuracy. After all, this is not a rifle musket, it's a target rifle and requires extra care.
Most PH V shooters load powder thru a long drop tube, place an over powder wad, and then run a damp patch followed by a dry one, before loading each bullet. In my experience, this reduces fouling considerably and the bore stays relatively clean.
At the end of the day, cleaning the bore with ballistol and water, using a flush nipple, and a nylon bore brush, patching until clean, then oiling the bore is all that's needed other than scrubbing around the cone area and hammer with ballistol and a stiff toothbrush, and wiping with a clean oiled rag. One other thing, I use a cleaning rod with a 30 caliber nylon bore brush in the reduced diameter of the patent breech.

KinZa_Soul
11-11-2020, 02:36 PM
Well cleaning the gun after every use is recommended. However, I recommend using a cleaning rod to clean the bore of the gun's barrel.
No matter how often you use your gun, you need to clean it often. Go with a clean to the shooting range and clean it after using for sure. Cleaning is important because the carbon residue will negatively affect the bullet trajectory. Thatswhy I prefer cleaning my gun after 250-300 rounds of target practice.

Use some Rem oil after cleaning to prevent your gun from corrosion. You can follow or browse through different websites and blogs that suggest regarding gun cleaning (https://gunreloading101.com/clean-your-gun/) for a better outlook.