PDA

View Full Version : Don't laugh... it works...

10sandxs
12-19-2019, 09:17 AM
In an effort to come up with a low user force, high speed bullet sizer, I was looking at some of the various projects people have done. Upside down presses, pneumatic cylinders, etc and nothing really got where I wanted to go, which is almost effortless sizing with very high production rates without a bullet collator.

My thought was a flywheel and crank shaft to cinvert rotary motion to linear motion like a stamping presses. Here's prototype #1. Not pretty, but it worked better than I thought it would. Obvoously needs sugnificant cleanup and I need to make the bullet holding/feeding assembly, but the amount of force needed to size the bullet is pretty minimal. Once the feed tube is installed (think gatling gun magizine tube) you just put bullets in the top, and keep the counter weight spinning and it pushes out sized bullets... in theory anyway...https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20191219/61f3f1cd1dd4e4c95a5de9b748811838.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20191219/311f316e9daf304b811ec3ed5438d5b3.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20191219/d0d23e6e034a0d0f93e074cfb17af43b.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Maven
12-19-2019, 09:54 AM
Seriously impressed, 10sandxs! Really ingenious/creative thinking & implementation there!

Hossfly
12-19-2019, 10:05 AM
I think timing will be (important)with this machine. Looks intriguing, good work.

Misery-Whip
12-19-2019, 10:07 AM
Looks great. Cant wait to see the final product!

pworley1
12-19-2019, 11:00 AM
I hope are working on your patent for this one.

Jhopson
12-19-2019, 12:41 PM
That is a neat idea. Interested to see what your final product looks like. Good job!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ateam
12-19-2019, 05:35 PM
keep the fingers clear, I have almost lost skin on my lee push throughs, I probably would not fair well with this.... Great idea and trial though

StuBach
12-19-2019, 05:53 PM
Very cool!

kevin c
12-20-2019, 06:05 AM
Thanks to the innovators, those thinkers outside the box, for they are the ones who push (or drag, as the case may be) us all ahead.

10sandxs
12-20-2019, 09:10 AM
I filled the "handle" with lead last night and did some other cleanup items. I have a few videos of the magazine prototype working. It's only made for three rounds as the thought is that you would feed continously by hand... well see how that works...

https://youtu.be/5OiqgqaFsl4

https://youtu.be/pat9ivuguwo

Not sure if it'll these links will work for people, it's my first YouTube try so let me know if you can see them. Not sure why the video on the second one is so bad...

Still have to modify the 3d printed magazine to work better and to attach to the sizer block, and attach the sizer block to the base but I think I'll be sizing in quantity this weekend...

10sandxs
12-20-2019, 09:19 AM
keep the fingers clear, I have almost lost skin on my lee push throughs, I probably would not fair well with this.... Great idea and trial thoughI tried it as a "normal" sizer last night and it's very controllable, much more than I thought it would be. You can easily insert single bullets and controll the flywheel

10sandxs
12-20-2019, 09:20 AM
I hope are working on your patent for this one.I've got enough patents, they're a pain in the butt to get. this one I'm sharing freely. Might make a few for sale, if I get the manufacturing process down better, but we'll see

dverna
12-20-2019, 11:15 AM
There was an old sizer that used to compete against the Star that had a horizontal bed...forget the name now. It had a lever not a rotary action like yours.

I doubt you can get much sizing force unless I am missing something. Have you tried to size a bullet of say 92-6-2 alloy down .003"?

I like the horizontal layout. I can see feeding bullets laying on their sides down a small ramp to an adjustable infeed "table" on the sizer. That keeps the fingers away and does away with a collator, or tubes and feeder. Could not really see much on the videos so that may what you are doing anyway.

Love out of the box thinking!!

10sandxs
12-20-2019, 09:43 PM
There was an old sizer that used to compete against the Star that had a horizontal bed...forget the name now. It had a lever not a rotary action like yours.

I doubt you can get much sizing force unless I am missing something. Have you tried to size a bullet of say 92-6-2 alloy down .003"?

I like the horizontal layout. I can see feeding bullets laying on their sides down a small ramp to an adjustable infeed "table" on the sizer. That keeps the fingers away and does away with a collator, or tubes and feeder. Could not really see much on the videos so that may what you are doing anyway.

Love out of the box thinking!!One thing you might be missing is that the handle is filled with 20 lbs of lead. This gives a lot of momentum for sizing when it gets moving.

I'm sizing 96 2 2 allow from an as cast of about 455-456 down to 452 using minimial force.

Yes, the feed tube is better. My newest one came off the printer this afternoon, but the project may need to wait till next weekend as I'll be traveling over christmas.

wv109323
12-20-2019, 09:57 PM
As I understand it there will be 3 chamber revolving drum that rotates, much like a revolver pistol. One bullet will be inserted in a chamber when it is away from the ram. Is there a plan for a lube pump or do you plan to tumble lube or powder coat. I could see it being a sucess for those that TL or powder coat.

10sandxs
12-21-2019, 10:02 AM
Here's a better close up of the bullet magazine. It holds six which is enough to grab another handfull of bullets and start feeding again. The bullets fall down when the ram comes back, then are pushed through the sizer when the ram comes forward. The sizing die is from noe and is behind the black magazine/alignment chamber. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20191221/d99ebe0e2bcb0c2d8577eaaeddbbdd86.jpg

10sandxs
12-21-2019, 10:05 AM
As I understand it there will be 3 chamber revolving drum that rotates, much like a revolver pistol. One bullet will be inserted in a chamber when it is away from the ram. Is there a plan for a lube pump or do you plan to tumble lube or powder coat. I could see it being a sucess for those that TL or powder coat.Not quite, no rotating chamber, bullets drop down into an "alignment chamber" from the magazine which is continually fed from the top.

No plans for a lube as this is a PC/Hi Tek machine only.

10sandxs
12-21-2019, 06:29 PM
Last post before christmas. Now I have to get casting... might sell one of my Stars...

https://youtu.be/ZeNVsa9VmRk

https://youtu.be/ZeNVsa9VmRk

10sandxs
12-21-2019, 06:35 PM
Ok, one more so you can see how the size die is held in...https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20191221/68e9df5cd9624397e3b48c547a063521.jpg

kevin c
12-22-2019, 03:13 AM
I do so admire folks with mad tool and machine construction skills, and even more the ability to envision the mechanical solution to a problem and then use those skills to actually create the right tool for the job.

Bravo, sir!

10sandxs
01-02-2020, 12:51 AM
Update on the flywheel sizer. Over 1500 rounds sized in less than 45 minutes... average of about 1.8 seconds per bullet. Limited only be how fast I could get bullets into the magazine. Almost no effort required... I'm really liking this thing for coated bullets...https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200102/b7baefde2e9a90b4167dd5197f25a96d.jpg

JimB..
01-02-2020, 01:38 AM
I appreciate the innovation and execution, but not sure what this does that couldn’t be done more simply with a pneumatic cylinder. What am I missing?

kevin c
01-02-2020, 05:37 AM
Come the zombie apocalypse, with no gas or electricity, 10sandxs will still be cranking them out in volume.

And, despite the mechanical advantage of the design, cranking that sizer manually will give him arms like Pop Eye's ;^]

Elkins45
01-02-2020, 09:01 AM
That is a seriously nice machine. Just as complex as it needs to be, but no more. The thing that would prevent me from making one is the 3D printed bullet feed tube.

10sandxs
01-02-2020, 09:07 AM
I appreciate the innovation and execution, but not sure what this does that couldn’t be done more simply with a pneumatic cylinder. What am I missing?JimB. I was looking at cylinders first. Testing showed I need at least 350 lbs of force to size 45s. This is a 2.5" cylinder minimium, assuming 100 psi incomming air. The stroke is 2" so the air consumption gets significant for those without a larger compressor. Those with diaphragm compressors will go deaf, I had one, sold it and won't do that again.

then you need a directional control valve and one or two speed controllers. You could maybe do without the speed controllers, but you'll beat the heck out of the cylinder pretty quickly. Cost of parts was over $100 on ebay/amazon for Chinese "quality". For good components it was almost double that. I've got about $20 of purchased components and some scrap steel into this version and I can watch TV while it's running. Fabrication time would have been similar I think.

In short, your right this won't do anything a cylinder based sizer would do, but it's faster (assuming speed controlled cylinders), cheaper, and requires less support equipment to opperate. I'm not saying a cylinder won't work, it certainly will, but in hind sight, if someone is looking to build a sizer, I'd suggest this one over a cylinder. There are a few design changes I'd make if/when this one breaks, but we'll see how durable it is.

One advantage I can see for a cylinder based system is that if done "right" it wouldn't have to be clamped to a table like this one does.

10sandxs
01-02-2020, 09:11 AM
Come the zombie apocalypse, with no gas or electricity, 10sandxs will still be cranking them out in volume.

And, despite the mechanical advantage of the design, cranking that sizer manually will give him arms like Pop Eye's ;^]20 lbs of rotating lead allows Olive Oil to run it with ease. No spinach needed here. :-)

10sandxs
01-02-2020, 09:15 AM
That is a seriously nice machine. Just as complex as it needs to be, but no more. The thing that would prevent me from making one is the 3D printed bullet feed tube.I ran without the feed tube initially, it works good, just got to be a bit more cautious getting bullets in... I've pinched my finger in sizers too many times to take the chance so I printed the tube. Yes, I'll need one for other profiles, but printing is pretty cheap, I think this one cost me 5 bucks or so.

JimB..
01-02-2020, 11:17 AM
JimB. I was looking at cylinders first. Testing showed I need at least 350 lbs of force to size 45s. This is a 2.5" cylinder minimium, assuming 100 psi incomming air. The stroke is 2" so the air consumption gets significant for those without a larger compressor. Those with diaphragm compressors will go deaf, I had one, sold it and won't do that again.

then you need a directional control valve and one or two speed controllers. You could maybe do without the speed controllers, but you'll beat the heck out of the cylinder pretty quickly. Cost of parts was over $100 on ebay/amazon for Chinese "quality". For good components it was almost double that. I've got about $20 of purchased components and some scrap steel into this version and I can watch TV while it's running. Fabrication time would have been similar I think.

In short, your right this won't do anything a cylinder based sizer would do, but it's faster (assuming speed controlled cylinders), cheaper, and requires less support equipment to opperate. I'm not saying a cylinder won't work, it certainly will, but in hind sight, if someone is looking to build a sizer, I'd suggest this one over a cylinder. There are a few design changes I'd make if/when this one breaks, but we'll see how durable it is.

One advantage I can see for a cylinder based system is that if done "right" it wouldn't have to be clamped to a table like this one does.

Thanks for the reply, makes perfect sense. Good luck with it, I’m looking forward to watching it evolve.

Rick Hodges
01-02-2020, 07:02 PM
I like this a lot.

popper
01-02-2020, 10:17 PM
OK, fix on an exercise bike, drop them in while pedaling. Bell crank on the wheel! Hey Honey, exercising while getting something else done!

Tom W.
01-03-2020, 01:12 AM
Are you any kin to Rube Goldberg? :kidding:

kevin c
01-03-2020, 03:13 AM
First cousin to jmorris...