PDA

View Full Version : Round ball for my Ithaca 12 ga.

49FMarlin
12-18-2019, 09:44 PM
I took one of the AQ-Slugs and flattened it out a wee bit :)
then tapped it through my Ithaca 1953 37, 20 inch, cylinder bore
it measures out at .728 5 - .729 more on the .729 size

what wads and roundball size mold should I buy,

hulls I have
STS/Nitro 27=500 or so pcs once fired
High wall Ceddite and Fioccie= 100 of each

thanks
John

Misery-Whip
12-18-2019, 10:21 PM
I use the 1oz lee slug and the .690 roundball from lee. In Winchester AA wads in a STS hull.

Watch out for claybuster wads the petals are tapered. Fortunecookie45lc used to have a video on youtube called SO MANY WADS SO LITTLE TIME. Great reference.

Misery-Whip
12-18-2019, 10:34 PM
Video is still up

https://youtu.be/ZTM5FX_1FJo

longbow
12-18-2019, 11:26 PM
Personally I have had no luck at all with 0.690" RB's. They are too big for most shotcups I have been able to find and the couple that weren't too tight a fit to bore sheared petals anyway so accuracy was poor. I tried cutting petals down as well but no success there either.

Other people seem to do okay with 0.690" RB's but not me.

My best successes have been with:

- 0.662" RB cloth patched into hull with shotcup
- 0.678" RB naked in shotcup but petal thickness has to be right. My current wads have thin petals so a paper wrap is needed to get snug fit. Accuracy is okay without but not as good as with snug fit.
- 0.735" RB naked on hard card wad column with plastic gas seal under (cylinder bore only!)

If you load round balls in plastic wads I recommend using one or two 1/8" nitro card wads under the ball so the shotcup and gas seal don't try to wrap around the ball. A small scoop of COW on top of the card wad and under the ball helps too.

Longbow

missionary5155
12-19-2019, 09:18 AM
Good morning
With all the possible combinations you will have to determine a lot by shoving the desired wad / ball unit through your barrel. Dismount the barrel (if possible) and with a near bore size rod (I use a 5/8 wood dowel) place the muzzle on a floor scale and shove the wad / ball unit through. I use 6 pounds as my limit. When 6 pounds appears on the scale I stop and shove it back out. If under 6 but over 4.5 pounds pushing pressure I look at it as a candidate for that barrel.
Remember all barrels are different ! Each must get tested with a scale.
Others will have different push / pound weight guides. Wait until you want to shoot RB out of a double !!!
Mike in LLama Land

SuperBlazingSabots
12-19-2019, 10:34 AM
Greetings, now that you know your true ID you decide from the chart here based on the wad you decide to use, please no cheap wads only name brands.
The RB will need a Darker, Harder Nitro card below the RB in wad to give it a firm launching base only available at Ballistic Research Industries
https://i.imgur.com/CtlOdHK.jpg
Hoping it helps.
Ajay K. Madan
Super Blazing Sabots