PDA

View Full Version : Range Brass?

ACC
12-18-2019, 06:00 PM
Does your local range allow you to pick up brass others have left behind?

ACC

Valornor
12-18-2019, 06:04 PM
Depends on the range. Some ranges couldn’t care less, as long as you don’t present a safety issue, or are taking other people’s brass without their permission.

Some ranges make money off the scrap brass. Either at salvage rates or buy selling it to an ammo remanufacturer.

If it’s an indoor range I try and stick to just picking up my own brass. At outdoor ranges, especially ones without a range officer, I pick up everything that isn’t claimed.

Jay Andrew
www.theballisticassistant.com

XDROB
12-18-2019, 06:09 PM
My range allows us to pickup our own brass indoors. They do appreciate if you do leave some. And there is always the group that doesn't reload. The outdoor range you are expected to pick up your own brass. There are always guys who don't reload and don't care about picking up their brass. So I clean up as best as I can. Anything I don't reload for goes in the scrap bucket.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Winger Ed.
12-18-2019, 06:24 PM
On the pistol ranges, pick up what ya want, or leave it to sink in and act like gravel.
The range master doesn't care.

On the rifle range, there's a big barrel for brass.
You're supposed to sweep up your brass and take your trash home. Put your brass in the barrel, or keep it, no problem.

If ya want brass out of the barrel, fine, just pay the range whatever you think is fair & right.
Just be aware, tobacco chewers use the barrel too.

poppy42
12-18-2019, 07:23 PM
Not really. Unless by buddy the range officer is working. He likes it when I come in cause he doesn’t have to sweep up, I do it. As a matter of fact the last time I was in (last Saturday) someone had thrown an ammo can in the trash! Granted it was plastic. Ya know the ones they sell with a couple hundred rounds of ammo in. This one had 40 cal i. Well I scoffed it out of the trash, filled it with range brass and took it home. I consider that a 2fer!:mrgreen:

Rcmaveric
12-18-2019, 07:50 PM
Mine allows it for personal use. They frown at taking what you can't use or scrapping it. Gotta be careful though some guys get pissy when they see me picking it up. If they can't find a peice of their brass they automatically blame me. Had my brass bucket searched more than once because some guy swore up and down I had his Lapua brass. Odd because I have never found a Lapua brass before.

Now if they range would let me mine their berms.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

ACC
12-18-2019, 08:37 PM
My local range will look the other way as long you don't reload for other shooters. They get kinda upset about that. I can understand since they sell reloaded ammo.

ACC

The Dar
12-18-2019, 10:19 PM
My range encourages members to pick up their brass. Most don't. I average nearly two five gallon buckets of brass each weekend (almost 4000 members). The range officers come by and thank me for cleaning up the ranges.

Wheelguns 1961
12-18-2019, 10:23 PM
The indoor range where I am a member doesn’t care. In fact, if I ask, some of the employees will even save it for me. There are hardly any reloaders there.

drac0nic
12-18-2019, 10:25 PM
My "home" range doesn't care but it's pistol only. I used to go to one that they were kinda jerks about it. One guy even asked me what caliber I was shooting then said no. That doesn't make it seem like he wanted my brass at all, does it? I don't go there any more. It was a nice facility but pricey and losing a bunch of 243 cases I wanted to reload wasn't my idea of a good time. Not to mention they were kind of jerks in general.

Bazoo
12-19-2019, 01:19 AM
On the farm, I generally claim the brass. My buddies don't reload. Sadly they don't shoot a lot of calibers I do, nor do they shoot with me regularly. Anyone close need a place to shoot PM me.

tazman
12-19-2019, 01:49 AM
There are four ranges within 60 miles of where I live. Most will let you pick up your own brass. One will let you pick up anything that gets left there. One has a rule that anything that hits the floor is theirs.
If I shoot there, I use 22lr or revolvers so if anything hits the floor, it is something I wouldn't pick up anyway.

hotrod13
12-19-2019, 08:07 AM
My range doesn't care and there is usually lots of pistol brass, it amazes me how many people don't reload

lightman
12-19-2019, 08:50 AM
Most of the ranges that I use are private and there is usually no one else there. The one thats really busy doesn't care as long as you are safe and don't cause any problems.

sureYnot
12-19-2019, 10:00 AM
Mine doesn't seem to care. They do recycle for the funds though. So I make it a point to bring it back once it's worn out. I crush the mouth so another reloader doesn't end up wasting their time on it. They also get any other trash I have that happens to be made of brass. Broken punches, etc.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

onelight
12-19-2019, 10:31 AM
The range I am a member of now is great the range officers will even push your brass back to you with a big squeegee but abandoned brass belongs to the range.
At the previous range I was a member of for 7 or 8 years I always collected my own brass when safe to do so and one day the range officer glared at me and rudely said "if the brass hits the floor it's mine leave it" I moved my membership I want my brass and am not going to spend .01 cent where the employees are rude and discourteous to customers.

tazman
12-19-2019, 10:43 AM
Some ranges are starting to require no lead exposed bullets. If you are loading purchased jacketed or plated bullets, it is only slightly less cost per cartridge than buying new when shooting 9mm.
Oddly enough, that same range allows 22lr that are not plated.
I was in a range one time that not only refused to allow reloads, they required you purchase ammunition from them. Turned out they sold reloaded ammunition.
I refused to shoot there.

skrapyard628
12-19-2019, 11:14 AM
The indoor range I go to now has no problem with me picking up brass. I make it a point to ask the shooters in the booths next to me if they are also collecting their brass so that I dont accidentally steal their range gold.

Most shooters there dont collect their brass so I usually come home with a decent size bag. And sometimes asking people who dont reload about collecting their brass spikes their interest and starts a conversation about getting them into reloading.

The range I used to go to (before the new one opened) would give me the evil eye every time I picked up my brass. Then they removed the brooms/sweepers from the range so you couldnt easily collect it. So I brought a small dustpan/hand broom to collect my own. Apparently that was a bad idea and I got a scolding from the RO about how "once it touches the floor its their property". That was the last time I ever set foot in that range.

If a range isnt going to let me collect MY brass that I spent MY time and money reloading then they arent going to get any business from me.

mdi
12-19-2019, 01:00 PM
The last indoor ranges I frequented, in LA, didn't mind. When I got to my lane, I swept the brass out/forward and when I was done shooting, I swept again and kept what cleaned up, 99% was what I shot. I found a range close to where I worked and brought my stuff to work and stopped by on my way home. The "manager" told me I couldn't use my handloads, had to buy ammo from them and could not pick up any brass (if it hit the floor it was theirs). I was there maybe 10 minutes, never fired a shot and left...

But I haven't found an "improved" range since I moved to OR, just a wide place in the hills above town...

rondog
12-19-2019, 01:06 PM
My club range manager loves me, because I pick up brass and help keep the place clean. He even comes and tells me where he's seen big piles. But our club range is a special place, 25 separate bermed ranges of different types and uses, quite a place.

Burnt Fingers
12-19-2019, 01:57 PM
My club allows one to pick up brass.

A buddy and I went to the range Tuesday, we picked up around 3 gallons of brass and we only got the easy stuff. Mostly .45 ACP, 9mm, and .223.

Winger Ed.
12-19-2019, 02:03 PM
Before I moved out of the city, I'd go to the big public range in North Dallas.
They had signs stating brass on the ground was theirs.
They sold reloaded handgun ammo, bagged & sorted range brass, and scraped out the rest.

Picking up your own wasn't a problem. I'd usually pick a empty bench with a bunch already on the ground.
When I picked up my rifle brass, I get everything else nearby too if it was a cal. I loaded. The RO didn't care.

On the pistol range, the RO was glad for you to sweep up your station- or even the whole range, and take it all, so he didn't have to.

If there were shooters on a nearby bench shooting factory ammo, that didn't save & reload their brass, I'd offer to buy it.
Every single time, they just gave it to me.

Kevin Rohrer
12-19-2019, 09:25 PM
I pickup my brass, which according to them is unique. They don't say anything when I pickup extra as long as I am not greedy. They sort and sell the brass for $35 per bag of 800, which is a good price. They also offer Police and Military discounts when shooting, so I am happy with their policy.

Green Frog
12-20-2019, 09:50 AM
At my outdoor club we’re encouraged to pick up brass on both ranges (and especially hulls on all shotgun fields.). :D

The local indoor range encourages shooters to sweep up after themselves and provides a barrel marked “BRASS ONLY” but if you sweep it up and keep it, they are just as happy. I don’t think brass recycling sales are a significant portion of their income. ;)

I shoot almost nothing but cast (except in my 9 mm) and my indoor range is fine with that... I’m not sure why ranges are going to “no cast” rules unless it’s to sell more ammo themselves. Then again, maybe their ventilation system isn’t up to the job, in which case I would question what else is marginal there. :?

Froggie

XDROB
12-20-2019, 10:22 AM
At my outdoor club we’re encouraged to pick up brass on both ranges (and especially hulls on all shotgun fields.). :D

The local indoor range encourages shooters to sweep up after themselves and provides a barrel marked “BRASS ONLY” but if you sweep it up and keep it, they are just as happy. I don’t think brass recycling sales are a significant portion of their income. ;)

I shoot almost nothing but cast (except in my 9 mm) and my indoor range is fine with that... I’m not sure why ranges are going to “no cast” rules unless it’s to sell more ammo themselves. Then again, maybe their ventilation system isn’t up to the job, in which case I would question what else is marginal there. :?

FroggieMy indoor range has also gone to jacketed or plated bullets. A change from many years of lead only. A fear of lead dust as we fire lead bullets. Even with a new updated ventilation system. So I just shoot lead outdoors.

OutHuntn84
12-20-2019, 10:26 AM
My local range doesn't care one bit, but we do have a retired couple that are the grounds keepers part time. They pick up and sell the brass pretty cheap to supplement their income.

dverna
12-20-2019, 10:30 AM
My local range is my back porch. Only one guy who shoots with me keeps brass for his .450 Bushmaster as he wants me to teach him to reload for it. Everyone else who is invited leaves their brass...regrettably, I do not reload for .270 or .30/06 any longer but I save them anyway.

Tripplebeards
12-20-2019, 11:41 AM
Yes they do. They are happy that someone just cared enough to pick/clean it up. A lot of members just sweep it up and toss it into the trash there. I picked up a lot of 308,30-06, 270, and 280’s along with some 303, 45-70, and I don’t remember the rest. The 06’, 270, and 280 will all be reformed to 35 Whelen or the other two to 06’. I have gallon ziplock bags full of 9mm,40 s&w, 380, and 45 acp. I stopped picking those common calibers up.

ACC
12-20-2019, 11:53 AM
The reason I set up this poll was that I took my wife to a local indoor range (Nardis) so she could have some practice, and when I picked up her brass the RSO got all upiddy saying that any brass that hit the floor was theirs. To say the least we will not be going back. And it's my brass till I leave the range.

ACC

mdi
12-20-2019, 12:31 PM
One thought; picking up one's own brass is one thing. Cleaning the range of every case possible is different in my mind. The ranges I frequented did save and reload the brass left on the floor, but also recognized reloaders like to keep their empties for more reloading. Perhaps it's just me, but gleaning several gallons of brass seems selfish/greedy, and at the ranges I used, wasn't allowed...

trapper9260
12-20-2019, 07:06 PM
The only range I go to is my back yard,I made up myself , I do not go to any other one . I did not take the poll due to I do not go to any .

alamogunr
12-20-2019, 11:04 PM
The club I belong to is strictly an outdoor range. Usually, I go in the middle of the week/day, and am the only one there. A few times I was there when the local Sheriff's dept or police dept was practicing or qualifying. Those times I was able to pick up a lot of .40 brass and later 9mm. Since then these agencies have apparently funded the building of a separate range that we are locked out of, so no more picking up LEO brass.

When I was able to pick up, I must have gotten a total of several thousand but I never bothered to count.

BTW I didn't vote because what brass is left is usually picked over before I get there. They have various activities on weekends and I suspect that there are several reloaders in that crowd.

Bazoo
12-20-2019, 11:10 PM
My local range is my back porch. Only one guy who shoots with me keeps brass for his .450 Bushmaster as he wants me to teach him to reload for it. Everyone else who is invited leaves their brass...regrettably, I do not reload for .270 or .30/06 any longer but I save them anyway.

I wish some of my buddies would come over and leave a mess of 30-06 and 270 brass. I have one friend with a 30-30 but he don't shoot it much cause it's too expensive. Another friend has a recently acquired 270 and we're thinking about loading for it. He doesn't load yet so is going to use my gear, sans his own dies.

Those are the only friends I have that shoot. Neither shoot very much.

EDG
12-20-2019, 11:13 PM
It is rare to find any easily reloaded brass at my club range.
A little berdan brass is found now and then.
What is found in large numbers is a problem and that is steel cases scattered everywhere.

GhostHawk
12-20-2019, 11:40 PM
I have bought 3 25 lb boxes of pistol brass there, 25 a box for 9mm and .40sw. .45acp was a bit more.

Rifle brass I have gotten at least 300 of .30-30 at about a dime ea. various other odds and ends always i felt more than reasonably priced.

When shooting pistol i prefer one of the end stations. RSOs always ask if I keep brass, at least twice I found nice neat piles of brass behind me. both yimes there was twice as much there than what I shot. IMO a well run outfut, no issues of any kind.

rondog
12-21-2019, 01:37 AM
It is rare to find any easily reloaded brass at my club range.
A little berdan brass is found now and then.
What is found in large numbers is a problem and that is steel cases scattered everywhere.

This is why I carry one of these pole magnets too, to clean that junk up. $10 at Home Depot, no telling how many thousands of steel cases I've picked up with it. Also handy for finding small gun parts dropped on the floor/carpet. A very good investment!

rondog
12-21-2019, 01:54 AM
FWIW - I pick up everything I can, except rimfire cases. No restrictions on it, helps to keep my beloved gun club clean. I do sell brass to other shooters, but the majority goes to the scrapyard. I've funded several gun purchases that way, and currently have 2K saved up for a big new safe. Not to mention more brass in my own stash than I can ever fill up, let alone wear out.

So yeah, if others are gonna leave it, you bet I'll gather it up!

mebudman63
12-21-2019, 04:45 AM
Indoor Range I use to go sell their used brass and even had issues with people picking up their own brass. Me and the range officer got into it one day over me picking up my own brass one day to the point of he was going to call the cops cause in his mind when my brass hit the floor it became their property. In the long run I got my brass and never returned. Now the private range I go to now could care less. They require their members to pick up their brass but only about 2/3rd`s do. Us reloaders pick up the rest for ourselves.

kevin c
12-21-2019, 05:04 AM
At my club's outdoor ranges, brass is the shooter's unless left behind. On the public line it's mostly left and the RO's will collect it. On the action range, all brass must be picked up, with buckets provided for whatever folks don't take home. We also have agencies and classes that rent some of our bays on weekdays, and they are required to pick up their brass.Some agencies take it with them (dunno if it's for personal use or some department recycling requirement). Any brass in buckets left after matches, classes or agency training/quals doesn't last long, especially the last, since it's once fired same headstamp. EVERYBODY who shoots the action matches reloads. We even have a motorized case sorter (a typical two day match - our most common format - can produce 15,000 empty pistol cartridge cases in 9mm, 38 super/super comp, 40 S&W and 45 ACP).

The Coast Guard also uses our range. Fun days for scavaging are when they train on the MG's: crates of 308 brass, links and ammo cans galore.

georgerkahn
12-21-2019, 07:33 AM
Primarily for (their) liability purposes, both ranges I frequent have huge signs at each range indicating that any and all brass which hits the ground becomes, and is, the property of the respected range. The exception is each shooter may retrieve and take HIS or HER spent brass. There are plastic buckets screwed to 4 x 4 uprights for spent brass and scattergun shells which are expected to be policed and deposited therein. The fellow (volunteers) at each range are NOT too fond of brass left in grass for mower blades to hit and propel, too.
While I have yet to hear of anyone being asked to leave, or "getting kicked off range" for taking left brass, it is a definite "no-no!" if you wish to remain in good graces.
(I NEVER touch the stuff, but my primary reason is as *I* only leave it after it's been shot at least one more time than it perhaps SAFELY should have been ;) -- I'm not going to pick up and try and use someone else's too-many-times fired junk. (Just me...)).
geo

skeettx
12-21-2019, 12:01 PM
Yes, can do.
Any brass left at all my ranges is FREE for the taking.
I can pay for my annual memberships with salvaged brass :)
Mike

P.s. in fact, they want you to pick up brass and police the area
so someone will not slip on the brass :)

Bazoo
12-21-2019, 05:40 PM
Personally I'm scared of using rifle brass from the range. Pistol brass will just crack normally and is easily culled out. Rifle brass though requires a much more thorough inspection. Any signs it's been loaded previously and I either won't use it or won't use it but a time or two before I find fresh. Federal with it's primer sealer though is a jewel.

Eddie2002
12-21-2019, 07:52 PM
I have two outdoor ranges in my area, one private that only allows you to pick up you own brass and keeps an eye on you. They have "open range" days when they are open to the public but mainly are closed to non members. Last time I was there it had rained for two days prior and the shooting areas were under about two inches of mud. Lost a lot of brass that day and haven't been back since.
The other range is run by the county, very professional with range officers who expect you to do as they say when the say it. A lot of people have had problems with them but they let me pick up any brass I can use. I always ask the shooter first before picking their brass. Last trip I picked up over 60 .243 Winchester brass, 40 30-06 and could of grabbed three or four pounds of .223 which I don't have any use for but still pick up occasionally.
There is an indoor range just down the road which doesn't allow reloads, expects you to purchase ammo at their store and keeps the brass when it hits the floor. I've only been there twice with .22's and even then it was a rip off. The county range is my favorite for both shooting and brass ratting even though the RO's can be real d1cks sometimes.

rondog
12-22-2019, 12:54 AM
My last haul to the scrapyard was all .223, 9mm, damaged cases, Berdans, and spent primers. Half a 55 gallon drum. More cash for my "gun safe fund"!

ACC
12-22-2019, 12:17 PM
Personally I'm scared of using rifle brass from the range. Pistol brass will just crack normally and is easily culled out. Rifle brass though requires a much more thorough inspection. Any signs it's been loaded previously and I either won't use it or won't use it but a time or two before I find fresh. Federal with it's primer sealer though is a jewel.

I am too. Pistol brass OK, rifle brass, no thank you. I like my face just the way it is!

ACC

kmw1954
12-22-2019, 12:56 PM
This topic came up a few times before and at one time afterwards I went and sent an email to all of the local ranges in our area asking their policy on picking up brass and they all came back pretty much the same. They have no problem with picking up your own brass and their only restriction is with the indoor ranges that they do not want you to go out in front of the firing line to retrieve your brass.

Here I have read many responses of shooters getting scolded for picking up their brass to which I say if it is an issue for you and you want your own brass back then ask at the counter before even paying for range time. If you are not going to allow you to retrieve your own brass then walk before you even unload a range bag. When I go to the range there are usually two of us. The wife and myself. Watch the look on their faces when they have two walk-offs.

brass410
12-22-2019, 04:22 PM
they don't care if you take your own, but they do sell range brass realy cheap you have to sort it your self 60.00 per 5 gal pail or about a 1.00 pound

Kevin Rohrer
12-22-2019, 05:47 PM

Eddie2002
12-22-2019, 06:34 PM
I'm starting to think something is wrong with me, I even pick up and reload Berdan rifle brass in the right caliber. Almost half of my 7.7x58 jap brass started life as 30-06 or 8x57 berdan range brass. Spent a few hours today resizing and trimming some 06 berdan brass for a 7x57 Spanish Mauser, Got the primers so why not use them. Getting low on my boxer primers so it's time to load some berdan. :)

375supermag
12-22-2019, 06:39 PM
Hi...
My son and I belong to two gun clubs.
Everybody is supposed to pick up their brass but a lot of people don't.
The one club has a guy that shows up every morning to get all the brass that he can find.
Don't know if he reloads it, sells it or scraps it.

Bazoo
12-22-2019, 07:33 PM
I've never been to a public range. Too many rules, too many people.

I have a friend that's been to knob creek. I'm told you're not allowed to keep a pistol on your person. You have to lay it on their table, action open. I can appreciate the safety aspect. However, I don't disarm myself except if I have no choice. My pistol is either loaded in holster or in hand pointed at target.

tazman
12-23-2019, 04:32 AM
I have seen a few police officers acting in an unsafe manner at the gun range. Not following the rules.
When confronted they all say the same thing. "I am a police officer and I am exempted from the rules."
They endanger everyone around them.
I have complained about their behavior in the past but nothing was ever done about it.

ACC
12-23-2019, 08:23 AM
This topic came up a few times before and at one time afterwards I went and sent an email to all of the local ranges in our area asking their policy on picking up brass and they all came back pretty much the same. They have no problem with picking up your own brass and their only restriction is with the indoor ranges that they do not want you to go out in front of the firing line to retrieve your brass.

Here I have read many responses of shooters getting scolded for picking up their brass to which I say if it is an issue for you and you want your own brass back then ask at the counter before even paying for range time. If you are not going to allow you to retrieve your own brass then walk before you even unload a range bag. When I go to the range there are usually two of us. The wife and myself. Watch the look on their faces when they have two walk-offs.

That makes a lot of sense. The range I teach at really doesn't care. Just don't go in front of the firing line.

ACC

FLINTNFIRE
12-23-2019, 11:15 AM
Range I go to is the local membership only club , brass what brass , maybe a few pistol and 223 , I would bet most members are reloaders and brass bandits at that.

fatelk
12-29-2019, 04:52 PM
You can always be like a friend of mine. He is adamant that he won't load and shoot any brass that he didn't buy new, or shoot himself as factory ammo. Seems silly to me, but to each their own.

tazman
12-29-2019, 08:03 PM
I have people tell me all the time that they wouldn't shoot some of the brass I have loaded and shot.
I don't mind. The boolits still go into the group with the rest of them for me anyway no matter what they say.

fatelk
12-29-2019, 09:29 PM
Brass is actually pretty tough and forgiving. I've had and seen brass fail in a number of ways. I just threw away a batch of 308 brass (7.62 NATO actually) that I didn't realize had likely been fired in a loose chamber (MG probably), and many were starting to separate inside. Some of them I could just barely feel the slightest ring inside with a bent paperclip, but rather than mess with them I just scrapped the whole lot. Even full on separation isn't usually very dangerous or destructive. More than once in the past I've opened a bolt to remove a case head, then had to figure out how to remove the case body from the chamber.

What gets scary is a crack through the case head. That's bad news. So, I'll check range rifle brass over for defects, like cracks, incipient separation, dented rims, loose primer pockets, etc., and anything questionable goes in the scrap bucket, but otherwise it's good to go.

lightman
12-30-2019, 11:15 AM
I have people tell me all the time that they wouldn't shoot some of the brass I have loaded and shot.
I don't mind. The boolits still go into the group with the rest of them for me anyway no matter what they say.

I only use new or once fired brass for my defense, hunting or competition ammo. But I've shot a ton of range brass with an unknown history for practice or plinking. Like you, I have salvaged brass with dings, dents and scuff marks.

I'm having trouble getting my thoughts wrapped around belonging to a range that won't allow reloads or recovery of your own brass. That would be a deal breaker for me. I can see a range limiting the amount of other brass that you are allowed to collect if they sell it to raise operating funds but I want my brass back.

robg
12-30-2019, 11:33 AM
Quite a few guys don't reload in our club will usually give reloaders their brass .most members help each other and we have a great laugh in the prep room /defiantly not PC but all very safety conscious.

DanishM1Garand
12-30-2019, 11:47 AM
The local indoor range doesn’t allow you to pick it up. If it hits the floor it is theirs. They sell it so cheap that it isn’t worth trying to scrounge. 25 bucks a thousand and they give you closer to 1500 and will replace the Berdan stuff.

Kraschenbirn
12-30-2019, 11:53 AM
Our club range not only wants you to pick up your brass, they require it! Range rules are quite specific: if you bring it in the gate, you take it with you when you leave (bullets and boolits excepted, of course :smile:). The are scrap buckets on each firing line where those who don't reload (or collect brass for recycling) can deposit their brass for those who do but we've enough scroungers that it's rare to find much in them. Last week, though, I did score 50-some once-fired MKE 7.62x51s but only because I was a couple benches down when the guy swept them up.

Bill

kevin c
01-01-2020, 04:35 AM
I get not going in front of the firing line to get brass; that's a safety issue. I get not picking up other folk's brass without their permission; as far as I'm concerned, it's their property until they say it's not. What I can't wrap my head around is a range claiming brass that comes out of your gun. If the ammo you shot through it is your own property, whether you brought it or bought it there, then so is the brass. If you leave it, abandoning it, then sure. But if I want it, just them saying it's theirs doesn't necessarily make it so. I wonder if a range could make that stick legally.

Well, I've mellowed a bit over time. Rather than making an issue out of it, I'd probably tell them they just lost my range fees and leave.

ETA: and I also mainly use range brass for practice and plinking. At least that goes for pickups after practice and local matches, which is going to be better than 95% multifired. On the other hand, brass from agency training/quals and classes for John Q. Public is 95% once fired, is often recognizable as such, and therefore reverently collected and treated accordingly.

XDROB
01-01-2020, 09:02 AM
I did go to a range that said all brass was their's. This was after I had paid the range fee. I brought my own rounds. Luckily I was the only shooter there at the the time and I argued the point. It was not posted anywhere. Was told that after I started to pickup my brass. The RO turned his eye. So I gathered my brass and left. Never returned to that range. Its probably posted now. Because I voiced my opinion as I left to the owner.

kmw1954
01-01-2020, 12:16 PM
When the wife and I go to the indoor range we can easily go thru 400 rounds in an hour and so sorry but I am not freely giving away that much brass. Again, I ask before I pay and have no qualms about walking off.

tazman
01-01-2020, 12:42 PM
Sometimes it is significantly more convenient to go to a different range than normal.
If I go to the ranges where they claim any brass that hits the floor, I take either 22lr guns or my revolvers.
I don't save 22lr in any case and I carry a can to put my revolver brass in while shooting so it never hits the floor.
None of these ranges have ever been bold enough to try and claim the brass from my can.

Phlier
01-02-2020, 11:38 AM
Good timing on this thread for me.

My son and I have been members at the local indoor range for years now. They've always had a "pick up your own brass only" policy that they strictly enforce. I've always made sure that I walk out with less brass in the bag than when we arrived... making sure to make a bit of a brass donation for the range. They sell five gallon buckets completely topped off with assorted brass for $185(!).

Never had an issue until two weeks ago. Guy gives me hell about picking up more brass than I shot (which of course, I hadn't).

I've bought a lot of guns and other stuff from this range over the last five years, and have gotten to know the management pretty well. The whole "flavor" of that range has gone to hell lately, with the employees all acting like they're doing you some big favor by letting you shoot on their range or selling you their product. It's gotten so bad that I'm actually going to make an appointment with the general manager to have a sit down with him about it. Sometimes all it takes is a reminder. ;)

okietwolf
01-06-2020, 11:11 AM
One indoor range I go to says not to pick up....sweep into a pit. One says pick up your own, but STRONGLY SUGGESTS not crossing the firing line to get in front of the stalls. Lol. Outdoor range is police all your brass. Farm range rules are if you brought it in you take it out

fatelk
01-11-2020, 04:20 AM
We were just at the range a couple days ago. As I threw some used targets into the dumpster when leaving, I noticed a bunch of brass in there. I see this fairly often. I picked out a few handfuls of 223 and 30-06 that I could reach, but a lot gets thrown away. There’s often hundreds if not thousands of 9mm brass scattered in the gravel on the pistol bays. I don’t bother picking it up any more since I have so much already.

Pretty nice facilities there. No rangemaster; members get a key to the gate and are on their own.

tankgunner59
01-12-2020, 10:03 PM
WE shoot at three public ranges close by in MO. They don't have range officers and they are free to use, but everyone who shoots are very disciplined on firearms. As for range brass, we collect it when we shoot and I sometimes hit the ranges to collect brass. I have found a nice amount last fall. I have a friend who reloads .223 only and he collects locally when he shoots and trades his excess brass to me for .223/5.56 I have.

Bob Busetti
01-12-2020, 10:27 PM
My club range has a written rule, YOU SHOOT IT YOU PICK IT UP & TAKE IT HOME !!
le

Catch22
01-12-2020, 10:37 PM
My closest range is ran by our state's dept. of conservation. They used to want the brass collected and put into barrels if you didn't reload it, but that got to be too big a hassle from my understanding due to the mixed in steel and aluminum cases. No problem picking it up, but I also don't sell it to make a buck like some of the folks do. If it's something I can't use, I'll try trade it or sell it and use the money for something I do load.

Cole440
01-18-2020, 11:25 PM
Most ranges near me couldn't care less. I have probably a few thousand 9mm cases from my dad sweeping them up and bringing them to me (: A different range by me says as soon as it hits the ground its theirs, doesn't matter who fired it; I don't shoot there...

deboog93
01-24-2020, 12:23 PM
Local indoor range wants to be told you are picking brass up. Before I clan up will ask shooters next to me if they care if I get their brass. Majority of people on range rent guns buy ammo and do not care. Score once fired brass.

44magLeo
01-24-2020, 12:47 PM
I'm cheap and don't go to ranges. A few places out on public land I know of get used as ranges. I often find brass there. Seldom anything I can use.
A friend Goes to a range and I have gone with him, the fw times I've been ther the only stuff on the ground is 22 rimfire or steel cased stuff.
I guess most people pick up there own.
Leo

rockrat
01-24-2020, 12:52 PM
Our range is, "you brought it in, you pick it up". You can take it home with you or toss it in the brass barrel. Oft times they throw it in the trash barrel too. Our indoor range, people are pretty good about picking up, though we have a few that think they are above cleaning. We have a video system, if it keeps up ,we will find them and cancel their membership!! We sell the brass from the indoor range and the funds go to our Jr shooter program.

Casper29
01-28-2020, 08:19 PM
Yes but only between shooting sessions.

Winnie1886-4065TC
02-25-2020, 09:12 PM
local county range doesn't care. but the one in the next city over does... so I don't shoot there anymore. simple