PDA

View Full Version : Computer Question

slim1836
12-18-2019, 12:15 PM
My 91 year old mother bought a new computer a little over a year ago. Don't know what brand or style as I live 900 miles away but will be there over Christmas. She tried to log on a while back and was locked out. She contacted support and they said an annual fee was required to unlock the computer which she paid and it was unlocked.

My question is: Has anyone heard of such a thing as an annual fee to use what was purchased and owned? She was locked out of everything. If this is becoming a trend in the computer industry people need to be aware of this as she was not told that at the time of purchase. I'll know more when I get there.

Thanks for looking.

Slim

JonB_in_Glencoe
12-18-2019, 12:27 PM
If the computer (internet device) is something that includes a service, like a Grandpad, there are fees.

https://www.consumercellular.com/caregiving/Product/4521?&bidkw=grandpad&dvc=c&h=https://clickserve.dartsearch.net/link/click?lid=43700032821175219&ds_s_kwgid=58700004023414155&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI1c2G4M2_5gIVUfDACh1nRQdOEAAYASAA EgKB0vD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

dangitgriff
12-18-2019, 12:37 PM
Car registrations, land taxes and income taxes are all examples of fees assessed on property you already own. [emoji6]
Glad your mother got her computer access straightened out. Those fees are a new one on me.

Der Gebirgsjager
12-18-2019, 12:55 PM
I have not heard of this, and doubt it's legitimacy. About 12 years ago my computer got locked by ransom ware. Cost $50 to "unlock" it. Since then it's almost happened three more times, but at the earliest indication that something is wrong I turn the computer off and then restart it. Seems to work.

StuBach
12-18-2019, 01:02 PM
I have not heard of this, and doubt it's legitimacy. About 12 years ago my computer got locked by ransom ware. Cost $50 to "unlock" it. Since then it's almost happened three more times, but at the earliest indication that something is wrong I turn the computer off and then restart it. Seems to work.

I would have to agree here. Probably was some sort of ransomeware. Recommend having it scrubbed by a anti malware software like Avast. Also might be worth investing in an old iPad for her instead. We did that for some of the more senior members of my family and it’s a lot easier for them to do their shopping and email/Facebook without the headaches of a full computer. Plus it’s portable so they can take it wherever they go with them.

Rcmaveric
12-18-2019, 08:54 PM
That's a new one. I have never heard of that. I keep backups. If I were ever locked out i would just format, fdisk and reload. Then restore my back ups.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

bmortell
12-18-2019, 09:19 PM
depends how she got the number to call. if a pop up or something said to call claiming to be "x" legit company its very likely a scam. if she looked on her own for a legit company number than it might be normal. I watch a guy who calls and baits scammers for a living. basically if your old and own a computer your at very high risk of anything involving a computer and phone at the same time.

I don't wanna say 100% never but you should never need to call or get called for anything owning and using a computer. once they know youll answer a phone they sell your number and future calls are more likely to happen.

wv109323
12-18-2019, 11:08 PM
A lot of the software companies are moving toward a software "lease" where there is a yearly fee. Updates are free but there is a yearly fee. This is cash flow to the software companies.

calm seas
12-18-2019, 11:16 PM
Linux is your Mom's friend

kungfustyle
12-18-2019, 11:48 PM
If you go on ebay and buy a copy of windows 10 for under $10 and yes its legal. Download a copy of windows 10. https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10 follow instructions on downloading/installing windows 10 media. Create a bootable disk. Boot up from the disk on your mom's computer and install windows 10 activate the key purchased from ebay. And you have now fixed your mom's computer.
What they are doing is not right!!!! and you don't have to put up with it. You can even remotely help your mom through windows. Just do a search. If you need help with this please PM me and do what I can. I help out my Parents (80's) using the remote helper.

slim1836
12-18-2019, 11:53 PM
All good answers, I'll know more once I get there next week. I may bring that computer back with me and do some research, perhaps even get it scrubbed.

If indeed it is a genuine lease on certain programs, maybe i can get a tech to put in some new software or hard drive.

I'm really illiterate when it comes to computers and don't comprehend most of the terminology so just bear with me.

Thanks for the replies, it's appreciated.

Slim

slim1836
12-19-2019, 12:00 AM
Kungfustyle,

I was typing as you were, very good post. I'll look into this after the holidays.

Thanks.

Slim

R. Dupraz
12-19-2019, 12:23 AM
That was definitely a scam!! It sound like some where in the past they were allowed into the PC. or gotten access by way of a scam phone call. Get it cleaned.

I have received similar scams on this Windows 10 over the years. A screen will suddenly appear and it cannot be deleted unless you answer. and the Pc is locked up. Following the advice of my computer tech. I just turned the computer off for a few minutes and then back on. The scam screen was gone and every thing was back to normal. Has happened may be three times in the last 10 years or so.

R

Land Owner
12-19-2019, 06:07 AM
Avast Free Antivirus - https://www.avast.com/free-antivirus-download
Spyware Blaster - http://www.brightfort.com/spywareblaster.html
CCleaner - https://www.ccleaner.com/ccleaner/download

Ransomeware is a likely candidate on your Mom's PC. Three free products I use are above, more can
be purchased if you want (I don't). After a 90-day "puppy love" taste of those products, Windows 10
pushes Microsoft annual licenses in order to continue to use the expected features you purchased with
the computer. I deleted all of the Microsoft crap and installed the following freeware and have not been
disappointed...

Libre Office - https://www.libreoffice.org/download/download/

DougGuy
12-19-2019, 06:22 AM
Take it to a tech and get him/her to load Linux Mint Cinnamon onto it. It will look and feel a lot like Windows 7. No viruses are written for linux, there are NO FEES EVER, all the office stuff comes already installed for free. I haven't ran Windows in years, don't miss it for a minute.

pcolapaddler
12-19-2019, 07:59 AM
I am the computer/network/database/etc person for a small office. Been there since 97.

Linux is great, but I don't think it is for most neophytes. If there is an issue with something, most friends and neighbors will be of little help.

Windows, regardless of version is more mainstream and easier to get help with. This also makes it an bigger target for scams, malware, etc.

Apple/Mac, being based on Unix, doesn't suffer from this issue as much, but the threats are growing. They are considerably more expensive than a Windows PC.

I have been recommending Chromebooks for folks who mostly only need to use email, web browsing, social media and other online activities. They are inexpensive; a decent one can be had for $300 or less. They have the same 'immunity' to viruses and malware as Linux/Unix, but are virtually maintenance free. The battery life runs around 8-10 hours depending on type of use. Downside... Almost everything is in the cloud with Google. Upside... Almost everything is in the cloud and backed up. If something goes awry, reset and start over. Little, if anything is lost.

Good luck. Have a good visit with mom.

Sent from my SM-G935U using Tapatalk

Jake McCracken
12-19-2019, 11:33 AM
Linux is your Mom's friendLinux for someone 91 years old? Linux is no ones friend unless they know computers well. If your the kind of computer user that ends paying an annual fee then linux will be nothing but an exercise in confusion!

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

DougGuy
12-19-2019, 12:31 PM
Linux for someone 91 years old? Linux is no ones friend unless they know computers well.

Don't guess you have sat at a Linux Mint machine anytime recently. It couldn't get any easier for a windows user to run linux mint. It is very intuitive and very easy to figure out.

Jake McCracken
12-19-2019, 01:20 PM
Don't guess you have sat at a Linux Mint machine anytime recently. It couldn't get any easier for a windows user to run linux mint. It is very intuitive and very easy to figure out.Yep, until you wanna run a piece of software. Then you gotta hope its available for linux.

I use linux for lots of my Amateur radio stuff. But if the program isnt made for linux... back to windows i go.

Wag
12-21-2019, 11:51 AM
About 15 or 20 years ago, a company tried to give away "free" computers to people but they charged an annual license fee. The company went out of business because of the economical failure of the idea but the company and their service was legit. I wish I could remember the name of the company but it wasn't a scam.

These days, however, such a thing is more likely a scam than not. Not to mention, there is a high likelihood that it has all kinds of spyware on the machine including keystroke loggers which will capture her passwords when she goes to use her FB or bank accounts or whatever else she is accessing on line.

Best to do as advised above and wipe the hard drive and install new operating system software.

--Wag--

calm seas
12-22-2019, 09:28 PM
My Mom has been running Linux Mint, and before that, Ubuntu, for about 10 years now at my suggestion. She's 93.

StuBach
12-22-2019, 10:13 PM
My Mom has been running Linux Mint, and before that, Ubuntu, for about 10 years now at my suggestion. She's 93.

That’s actually very impressive. Good on her.

popper
12-22-2019, 10:53 PM
Mint graphic scenes are good now, like win. Install from a >2gig thumb drive. Only problem is if computer wifi module is unsupported. Once you get internet, drivers are downloaded and all is ok.

kungfustyle
12-23-2019, 12:10 AM
Kungfustyle,

I was typing as you were, very good post. I'll look into this after the holidays.

Thanks.

Slim

If you need help pm me. or Kungfustyle@hotmail.com

slim1836
12-23-2019, 12:19 AM
If you need help pm me. or Kungfustyle@hotmail.com

Thanks, it’s appreciated.

Slim

justashooter
12-23-2019, 12:46 AM
That was definitely a scam!! It sound like some where in the past they were allowed into the PC. or gotten access by way of a scam phone call. Get it cleaned.

I have received similar scams on this Windows 10 over the years. A screen will suddenly appear and it cannot be deleted unless you answer. and the Pc is locked up. Following the advice of my computer tech. I just turned the computer off for a few minutes and then back on. The scam screen was gone and every thing was back to normal. Has happened may be three times in the last 10 years or so.

R

open task manager (control/alt/delete simultaneously) and you can end internet task. then reopen and the blocking window will be gone. no restart required.

Dipperman
12-24-2019, 03:19 AM
That's a new one. I have never heard of that. I keep backups. If I were ever locked out i would just format, fdisk and reload. Then restore my back ups.

QUESTION FOR RCMAVERIC

How do you do your backups? Assuming to an external hard drive, what software do you use? What is the fdisk you refer to?

Thank you,
Dipperman

Rcmaveric
12-25-2019, 01:49 AM
QUESTION FOR RCMAVERIC

How do you do your backups? Assuming to an external hard drive, what software do you use? What is the fdisk you refer to?

Thank you,
DippermanLike my digital reloading library and lifes work. I have a file sync program. There are several out there and I use SyncToy. It's not real time though.

I set my databases and libraries to sync my local file to my Drop box cloud folder (which real time syncs to the cloud) and to a thumb drive. So I can access my folders and files on my phone or on the go. I can edit my reloading diary or update my reloading log on my phone at the range. When I get home then wait for the drop box folder to sync and run synctoy to update my local files. The same work for the thumb drive or local files. All would stay up to date and current.

I do the same with my computer restores and pictures. But that just syncs to two external drives. I just select the main folder and sync it to two separate external drives. Thay way if one drive crashes I have have another. I have externals crash before.

The first initial sync takes a long time. But syncs after that are relatively quick considering the size and number of files.

FDisk.... sometimes formatting a computer isnt enough. FDisk erase is a older command line that wiped the partitions and data and created a new partition to start storing data on. Makes sure no program or code would work. Phoensics could still recover data due to how formatting works, but it would ensure no residual code could work.

Rcmaveric
12-25-2019, 02:03 AM
the whole business concept behind Microsoft NOW is they want to create yearly user fees to use the windows system, and the windows programs they make.Linux is growing on me because of those business licences. Apple annoys me with all their proprietary hardware that is always a year behind and software thats only compatible with other apple software.

Linux and Android really stole my heart with open source. Free and community supported.

Dipperman
12-25-2019, 03:50 AM
Rcmaveric - Thank you for your response to my questions.

Slim1836 - I am sorry if it looks like I tried to hi-jack your thread by asking questions of Rcmaveric. It was not my intent to hi-jack your thread. Sorry.

Dipperman

flyingmonkey35
12-25-2019, 04:12 AM
Dang dam.

To the OP

I work for one of the world's largest tech companies. Dell

And I c ac n tell you with 110% accuracy that it was a scam.

Anytime a pc is locked and you have to pay someone to unlock it. Its Is a scam.

Most Real mom and pop shops. Bestbuy will fix that sort of crap for free.

They will make up the difference on your next purchase.

+ every tech person I know in the industry Hates scammers. And will do anything to thwart them.

Good luck.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

slim1836
12-29-2019, 01:54 PM
Just an update, however, no conclusion.

I spent Christmas with my mother and never got to look at her computer, we had other priorities to contend with. She has bought another unit but is still using her old one since she had gotten it unlocked. She will use this time to get her stuff downloaded and set up her new one. She is like me in that we are not very computer savvy.

She had in the past sent it in for issues with it and stated that once she was locked out she contacted the factory to have it resolved. She told me she used the toll free number on her paperwork and not from any correspondence from an email. Please keep in mind she is 91 and is starting to have some issues.

Since my mother bought a new one I will be getting the old one once this issue comes up again, so it will be in about a year. Once I get my hands on it I will resurrect this thread and go from there. I do appreciate everyone's help and hopefully we will get some answers. That is as far as I got on the subject so i am no closer to getting an answer.

Thanks again to all who responded.

Slim

Land Owner
12-29-2019, 06:41 PM
open task manager (control/alt/delete simultaneously) and you can end internet task. then reopen and the blocking window will be gone. no restart required.

I like this recommendation! It has merit and should be tried First.

calm seas
12-31-2019, 11:51 AM
Yep, until you wanna run a piece of software. Then you gotta hope its available for linux.

I use linux for lots of my Amateur radio stuff. But if the program isnt made for linux... back to windows i go.

No clue what your radio stuff is, Jake, But I use Fldigi in XP, Win7 in a VM, and on 3 different flavors of Linux to get signals over SSB. My radio needs are weather reports and charts.

calm seas
12-31-2019, 11:55 AM
Just an update, however, no conclusion.

I spent Christmas with my mother and never got to look at her computer, we had other priorities to contend with. She has bought another unit but is still using her old one since she had gotten it unlocked. She will use this time to get her stuff downloaded and set up her new one. She is like me in that we are not very computer savvy.

She had in the past sent it in for issues with it and stated that once she was locked out she contacted the factory to have it resolved. She told me she used the toll free number on her paperwork and not from any correspondence from an email. Please keep in mind she is 91 and is starting to have some issues.

Since my mother bought a new one I will be getting the old one once this issue comes up again, so it will be in about a year. Once I get my hands on it I will resurrect this thread and go from there. I do appreciate everyone's help and hopefully we will get some answers. That is as far as I got on the subject so i am no closer to getting an answer.

Thanks again to all who responded.

Slim

Slim, put Linux ( I recommend Mint or Cinnamon for a rookie) on a thumb drive, and test-drive it...let your Mom do it as well. Doesn't change anything on the system.

Jake McCracken
12-31-2019, 12:44 PM
No clue what your radio stuff is, Jake, But I use Fldigi in XP, Win7 in a VM, and on 3 different flavors of Linux to get signals over SSB. My radio needs are weather reports and charts.I'm a HAM radio operator as a hobby now. During my time in the Navy on Submarines one of my jobs was "downloading" the Weather Fax broadcasts. Since it was during the beginning of the internet age we used archaic technology and software to do it compared to what's available today, but it got the job done. I still download the WeFax broadcasts occasionally to show friends and sometimes just to bring back those memories.

Most of my contact logging software and some of the digital mode software is windows only. Some of the other software is written for both but most developers usually pick a platformand stick with it. Believe it or not I still have Ham Radio software and hardware that will only interface with a DOS machine! I have and use all 3 OS, I'm still a firm believer that while Linux may be easy to use as windows, since there are many many programs that are windows only, it's not for the "basic" computer user.

jonp
12-31-2019, 05:28 PM
A lot of the software companies are moving toward a software "lease" where there is a yearly fee. Updates are free but there is a yearly fee. This is cash flow to the software companies.

MicroSoft is moving to that model for Windows