PDA

View Full Version : "Flaring Die"

curioushooter
12-17-2019, 03:15 PM
In reference to this article (http://www.lasc.us/FryxellLyman358627.htm) about the Lyman 358627. I would like to know what is a RCBS 38/357 "Flaring Die" is? Does Glen just mean the expander die that comes in every 38/357 dieset? Or is there some special die that flares the case more deeply as the article sort of implies?

This is the first problem that came to my mind about that mold and trying to use it with 357 Mag or worse 38 Special in a revolver.

Reverend Al
12-17-2019, 03:22 PM
RCBS does have a "neck expander" die similar to the Lyman "M" die. I have one with a number of expander plugs in different sizes. I bought it years ago before NOE started offering their expander plugs to fit the Lee Universal expander die ...

Larry Gibson
12-17-2019, 03:30 PM
Sometime Fryxell is not quite clear in his terminology. It appears to me he is indeed referring to the standard expander die (and sometimes the depriming die also) that comes in a standard RCBS 38/357 die set. While RCBS also makes separate expander dies some what similar to Lyman's M-dies they really aren't all that much different than the expander die found in the 3 die sets.

Outpost75
12-17-2019, 04:20 PM
RCBS /Huntington Die Specialties used to offer a .38 Special Wadcutter long expander plug. This had a .360 diameter cylindrical section 1/16" long below the mouth flaring cone, followed by a plug which tapered from .360 to .357 diameter over a distance of 1/2", with full radius on the end, approximating the seating depth of a wadcutter bullet.

Is is important that the long plug be tapered, finished very smooth and be radiussed on the end, without a sharp corner, otherwise it may stick in the case and either won't come out, or may pull the case apart, and the plug may also impinge upon the center case body knurl, causing a bulge.

In use the cases were inside lubricated with Motor Mica to prevent galling.

canuck4570
12-17-2019, 09:20 PM
Buffalo arms makes a expander that fits in the Lyman M die
they are used by bench rest shooter and the have steps and flare
custom made and not to expensive

skeettx
12-17-2019, 11:48 PM
https://www.lymanproducts.com/rifle-neck-expanding-m-dies

https://www.lymanproducts.com/pistol-neck-expanding-m-dies

canuck4570
12-18-2019, 07:54 AM
nice but they don't offer different diameter
the one made by buffalo arms give you the choice just like NOE

curioushooter
12-18-2019, 11:36 AM
I already have the Lee expander die. I am going to get some of those NOE plugs. Pretty smart idea.

sniper
12-18-2019, 05:48 PM
I have used Lyman "M" dies for years, and find them to be very helpful when it comes to expanding cases for cast rifle and pistol boolits. RCBS also offers a pistol expander plug that is similar to Lyman's, and it works well, too.

Taterhead
12-18-2019, 10:15 PM
RCBS handgun expander plugs have been M profiles for a number of years now. Standard. I like that RCBS also offers "Cowboy" plugs configured with some additional diameter on the shank. Nice for loading cast bullets.

Easy retrofit, and the gold lock ring makes it easy to identify which plug is in the die.

MostlyLeverGuns
12-18-2019, 10:44 PM
I have Lyman 'M' dies, NOE expanders in Lee dies and an RCBS Expander in .348. The Lyman and NOE are 'stepped' expanders with 2 specific diameters, a 'major diameter than a step-up for easy/straighter seating. The RCBS has a major diameter then simply flares much like many pistol expanders. It does not assist in cartridge straightness though it does prevent shaving bullets. It is very easy to get too much 'flare' or expansion with the RCBS expander. Carefully adjusted, the stepped expanders do not need any sort of 'crimp' after bullet seating to chamber and fire smoothly in many rifles. The flared expanders usually need a follow-up crimp of some sort to chamber reliably.