PDA

View Full Version : Gas Check Availability

keeper89
12-14-2005, 06:09 PM
Hi all, just got back in from an interesting shopping trip. Recently used up the last of my 30 cal gas checks and wouldn't you know it, ran out of gc's before I ran out of boolits.....so I sez let's try a few local shops since I have to do some other shopping anyway......none to be had locally, last place I stopped seaid his info is that Hornady plans to discontinue manufacture and that Lyman already has stopped. Any truth to this or is it mere fear mongering bs? Anyway, Midway has all you could want, just wondering if I should over order next time? Any input? Thanks in advance......... :shock:

imashooter2
12-14-2005, 06:33 PM
Can't picture Lyman stopping the check line while they are still selling molds that are designed for them.

keeper89
12-14-2005, 06:45 PM
Yah, sounded like bs...........hate to think a jamup was coming when winter is looooong up here and not much to do but get ready for shooting season (that week between poor snowmobiling and the onset of real winter!)

KevMT
12-14-2005, 07:14 PM
Can't picture Lyman stopping the check line while they are still selling molds that are designed for them.
Don't be so sure about that. Lyman still sells the 410610 GC and as I understand it they no longer make a 41 cal check to fit it. [smilie=b:

felix
12-14-2005, 08:01 PM
Don't forget about the major group order we are going to make for all kinds of gaschecks! We will find out at that time what will be available in the future, if not when we make the stab. It very could be that only there will be only one check maker in the country unless sales really pick up across all shooters everywhere. ... felix

MGySgt
12-14-2005, 09:10 PM
The last I heard - Lyman doesn't make their own checks anymore. That the Hornady and Lyman are made by the same company. Lymans was a press fit and Hornady's was a crimp on. Lymans are now crimp on's too.

Drew

1Shirt
12-15-2005, 01:11 PM
MGySgt, Have you used any of the Lyman's that crimp? Have not tried any lyman checks for many years.
1Shirt :coffee:

Maineboy
12-15-2005, 01:25 PM
Gas checks must be a good moneymaker, I can't believe the'll stop making them. They cost more than primers and must be much less complicated to produce.

StarMetal
12-15-2005, 01:29 PM
Don't everyone go and get upset....not until you hear the fat lady sing. We don't know the truth yet. Sounds like a gossip rumor to me. Thank God I'm making most my own gaschecks now tho.

Joe

9.3X62AL
12-15-2005, 02:46 PM
Dunno about her stature and build, but "Kathy" at Hornady's Sales Department stated that gas checks are still very much a part of her company's product line, and are listed in the 2006 Product Listing on their web page.

People with cardio-pulmonary difficulties are cautioned to use discretion in looking at suggested retail prices of gas checks. No caliber lists for under $20/1000, and the 45+ calibers are nearly $30/1000. Dunno how that will shake out at Midway or Graf's, but there it is there.

I'll make my new 45 rifle mold design a plain base, thank you.

Mugs
12-15-2005, 03:27 PM
Check the prices at www.bosesguns.com. Thier prices just went up but better than Midway.
Mugs

Herb in Pa
12-15-2005, 03:28 PM
Midway's 30 cal price............

Hornady Gas Checks 30 Caliber Box of 1000
Product #: 253287
Dealer Price: $14.85
Retail Price: $19.49

felix
12-15-2005, 03:37 PM
approx 11 bucks Gator price. Last year's price. ... felix

keeper89
12-15-2005, 05:36 PM
Thanks for all the input, guys. I really thought it was bs all along but as usual this forum is the place to find stuff out. I would be interested in finding out any info about making checks at home---winters really are long up here....... [smilie=b:

felix
12-15-2005, 06:15 PM
I just got through talking with Larry on the phone. As long as he can get the supply of copper the way he wants it, he will always be able to make the checks. He will hold prices to the same as last time around, just for us, for this February's order even though his copper prices have doubled since the last time. He says he is holding the inside dimensions as close as possible to what Hornady specifies. ... felix

pdgraham
12-15-2005, 06:53 PM
I'm hating myself right now.. I just sold 2800 35 cal gas checks and 1000 45 cal gas checks on ebay 2 weeks ago... They had been sitting around for a long time... Just sitting there.. saying .. "Use me.. Use Me"... I had to get them out of the house.. they were driving me crazy...

:groner:

MGySgt
12-15-2005, 07:32 PM
MGySgt, Have you used any of the Lyman's that crimp? Have not tried any lyman checks for many years.
1Shirt :coffee:

1Shirt - No - I have read in different locations about Lyman being the same as Hornady's. I have a partial box of 30 cal that I had for years - they are not crimp on.

I just checked the Lyman Web site http://www.lymanproducts.com/ and no mention if they are crimp on or not.

I too have not seen Lyman Gas Checks for a number of years. All I ever see is Hornady's and that is what I was buying.

Drew

9.3X62AL
12-16-2005, 01:37 AM
My reason for making the call and posting the answer from Hornady was to QUASH any "urban legend Internet rumor" that could erupt from a post indicating the possibility of such a discontinuation--or to verify that the news was factual. Thankfully, it's bizness as usual.

It's hard to know why someone would relate information like that to a board member--but with the instantaneous communication enabled by the Internet, such a rumor could spread like wildfire if left unchecked.......oh, bad pun. Sorry. Anyway, it looks like we'll be all checked out through the coming year.

Ok, enough.

Bullshop
12-16-2005, 01:59 AM
Deputy Al
yes like the one in the 80's about primers. Remember that one and what happened for a year or so?
BIC/BS

1Shirt
12-16-2005, 09:41 AM
Thanks MGySGT, think we are on the same page on this. Semper Fi!
1Shirt

Mugs
12-16-2005, 11:10 AM
I just had an e-mail from www.bosesguns.com, 30 cal. gas checks 17.47. Two dollars cheaper than Midway. And from now till Christmas free shipping on orders of 150.00 or more.
Mugs

felix
12-16-2005, 11:13 AM
Actual gator price for the same thing is 9.50. ... felix

mag_01
12-16-2005, 12:40 PM
:coffeecom------ Felix please post site for Gator---thx -- Mag_01

felix
12-16-2005, 12:46 PM
Gator has no site anymore. They are a manufacturer and deal in wholesale for the most part. Tell ME what Hornady checks you want, because they are manufacturing checks to their standards. ... felix

mag_01
12-16-2005, 05:48 PM
:coffeecom Felix I can use (2) ----- (30 cal.) HRN7070------ (1)----- (7mm) HRN7060-----(1)---- (8mm) HRN7080----Thx.---Mag_01

keeper89
12-16-2005, 05:54 PM
Guys, I sure wasn't trying to start a new urban internet voice of doom legend with this thread--the bird who told me this is an established dealer between Middlebury and Vergennes, Vermont. If he just got sick of stocking the checks because he did not sell enough to bother with, I wish he would have just said so.....but NOOOOOOOOO, he had to piss on my back and tell me it was raining......well, nothing says I HAVE to do business there again.....

9.3X62AL
12-16-2005, 09:00 PM
Keeper, no worries. Better to have it come out and get clarified than have him or his source "contaminate" the information loop. Not trying to hyperextend an elbow patting ourselves on the back--but the board is becoming one of the "go to" sites for cast boolit information. As such, we have a collective responsibility to the hobby to run down these sorts of brush fires. YES, I recall the primer scares of the late 1980's and through the Clinton Administration. THAT we can do without.

keeper89
12-16-2005, 10:37 PM
Got to agree about the primer scare--I rolled through it thanks to having many, many rounds already loaded and by never buying less than a thousand primers at a time...........never figured I'd end up having to stockpile gc's but I suppose it never hurts to have a few extra supplies squirelled away--lol [smilie=f:

woody1
12-16-2005, 10:49 PM
Guys, I sure wasn't trying to start a new urban internet voice of doom legend with this thread--the bird who told me this is an established dealer between Middlebury and Vergennes, Vermont. If he just got sick of stocking the checks because he did not sell enough to bother with, I wish he would have just said so.....but NOOOOOOOOO, he had to piss on my back and tell me it was raining......well, nothing says I HAVE to do business there again.....
keeper, before you get too steamed up at your dealer, might want to confirm with him why he told you that. Could be HIS supplier no longer handles checks so he thought none were available. I had this happen to me when I was looking for Herco. Kept running into dead ends and I was sure it was still being made. Turns out a major supplier in this area does not have it in their catalog. Regards, Woody

omgb
12-16-2005, 11:19 PM
I called Hornady as well and got the same answer, they are still making GC and they are still selling them w/o plans to quite in the foreseeable future.
R Talley

waksupi
12-17-2005, 12:09 AM
Keeper. Thanks for the possible heads up. We need these things. But I must agreee with Deputy AL. If anyone hears any rumors of this type, PLEASE chack them out carefully for correctness. People do come here to get the true story. Keeper, I know you meant no harm, but maybe this thread will keep any panics at a minimum in the future.

You could probably do the whole shooting fraternity a good deed, by returning to the place of business. Find that incestous mother loving wastrel who gave you the bad info, and ask to see the manager of the store. Then, tell them both, what you have found out. Someone who is supposedly selling this stuff, should not be trying to discourage custiomers, just because they are to cheap or lazy to supply the local trade.

As much as I see this area growing, I am still living near a small town. If a business lies to you here, they are out of business, shortly. Word travels fast, if there is a ********ter in the herd. The manager needs to have feedback from customers, or they will let things run down hill.

Kind of like being involved with government, you know?

felix
12-17-2005, 12:37 AM
Mag, please send me an PM with your order like so, with your full name, full mailing address, your email address. ... felix

just double click on my name attatched above on this message and find where it says to send me a private message

Felix I can use (2) ----- (30 cal.) HRN7070------ (1)----- (7mm) HRN7060-----(1)---- (8mm) HRN7080----Thx.---Mag_01

Vegas Vince
12-17-2005, 01:03 AM
I checked and double checked. T and T Reloading Inc. has the best price i have found. Hornary 30 cal. 1K $15.79 and 44 cal. 1K $19.69. This is still costly? I did not price any other cal. I would sure like to get in on a group buy.

http://www.tntreloading.com/

Cayoot
12-17-2005, 08:49 PM
Thank God I'm making most my own gaschecks now tho.

Joe

So Joe....can you give me info on how and where to obtain the tooling to make my own? Are you restricted to making gas checks for only one caliber?

I'd really like to get into this.

StarMetal
12-17-2005, 10:07 PM
Sorry, I have a mini-lathe and made my own tooling.

Joe

Buckshot
12-18-2005, 06:11 AM
..............Cayoot, got to the 'Special Projects' forum and scroll down to the "Gas Checks" thread. Joe posted a couple pictures.

...............Buckshot

Lloyd Smale
12-18-2005, 03:09 PM
checked there sight and couldnt find gas checks listed.QUOTE=Mugs]Check the prices at www.bosesguns.com. Thier prices just went up but better than Midway.
Mugs[/QUOTE]

vrmn1
12-18-2005, 06:29 PM
Midsouth shooters supply has all calibers in stock from Hornady and Lyman. Shows Lyman stock as being low though.
http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/
And Graf&Son shows Hornady
http://www.grafs.com/index.php

9.3X62AL
12-18-2005, 07:34 PM
Well, the price rise in gas checks won't drive me away from the furnace. Even 3 cents apiece for the 375 caliber checks beats the price of NosParts for the 9.3 all hollow--by a factor of 10X! To some degree--if you want to play, you gotta pay. I keep telling myself.

Cayoot
12-19-2005, 11:03 AM
..............Cayoot, got to the 'Special Projects' forum and scroll down to the "Gas Checks" thread. Joe posted a couple pictures.

...............Buckshot

Thanks Buckshot! :bigsmyl2:

Mugs
12-19-2005, 12:55 PM
Lloyd
Go to casting equip., molds and you will find gas checks.
Mugs

Cayoot
12-19-2005, 01:04 PM

...............Buckshot

I know I'm not the sharpest knife in the rack.....but I can't find a "Gas Checks" thread on the "Special Projects" forum :veryconfu ....anybody got a link?

I'd really like to try this.

454PB
12-20-2005, 01:41 AM
I've got a box of Sierra 30 caliber gas checks. I don't even know where or when I got'em, probably one of those impulse gun show buys. They are in a fold top cardboard box, and obviously very old. Anybody got a guess HOW old?

omgb
12-20-2005, 02:10 AM
My guess would be late 70s early 80s. is it a full 1000? If so, are you interested in selling them? For a good price I'd be interested. Not that they're special but if the price was right....
R J Talley