PDA

View Full Version : boot sealer

reloader28
12-16-2019, 04:00 PM
Was oiling my boots this morning with store bought stuff and got to thinking.
I have a bunch of beeswax and lanolin and it seems there should be a recipie for a leather boot sealer with these two.
I've been looking all over the computer and found different recipies, but aint having much luck with these two put together.
Anyone made a mixture with these two??

Pipefitter
12-16-2019, 04:19 PM
I use a product called Snow Seal, basically a mixture of beeswax and vaseline. Slather it on the leather and then heat it up with momma's favorite hair dryer. It melts into the leather and waterproofs the boots for a year or more.

dangitgriff
12-16-2019, 04:55 PM
Pipefitter, I used that method to wax my boots in the Navy. Just couldn’t see myself dabbing and rubbing it in in a dime-size area over and over for a couple hours at a time. An old toothbrush worked great to apply it in a semi-uniform layer before hitting it with a heat gun. I applied it extra thick to the upper stitching around the soles, too. It buffs nicely with a regular horsehair shoe brush, too.

jdfoxinc
12-16-2019, 06:16 PM
Snow seal is bees wax and beef tallow. 1:1

bob208
12-17-2019, 12:19 AM
I just smeared my boots with Vaseline

reloader28
12-17-2019, 01:25 AM
Thanks gents, I've used snow seal for years and a couple others, but I figured beeswax and lanolin would be a good mixture since they are both used for leather. I might just have to try something and see what happens. Maybe 2 parts lanolin and 1 part beeswax to start

reloader28
12-17-2019, 01:29 AM
Bob I found a recipie for beeswax and vasoline with a little mint or citronella oil for insect repelent. That actually caught my interest. Maybe for oiling your belt or hat for squeeters. If its on your boots, maybe it would help with ticks

NyFirefighter357
12-17-2019, 06:30 AM
https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-d&q=beeswax+and+lanolin+leather+conditioner

waksupi
12-17-2019, 12:53 PM
I use Hubbard's Shoe Grease. All it does is preserve the leather. The best waterproofing will prevent your feet from getting wet for an additional ten seconds over a non-treated boot.

kootne
12-17-2019, 01:32 PM
Only leather care product I know of with lanolin is saddle soap (along with several other ingredients). Which must be pretty good stuff, my saddle is 101 years old and still just fine, will probably be fine when my grandkids are old.

Thumbcocker
12-17-2019, 02:29 PM
I use Hubbard's Shoe Grease. All it does is preserve the leather. The best waterproofing will prevent your feet from getting wet for an additional ten seconds over a non-treated boot.
Hubbards is the best I have ever used to preserve leather. New boots get a liberal coating and put on newspaper in the cab of the truck on a hot day. The leather comes out amazing and water resistant.

facetious
12-17-2019, 04:03 PM
I used some BLL on my Sorel's last year. I had a small batch mixed up to do some boolits and had just got some new liners for my boots. (dog ate the old ones) I was thinking of trying some JJ past wax and wondered what some BLL would do so I tryed a little on the seams and it sucked in on the spot so I did the hole boot. Now the water just runs off them and you can't tell that there is any thing on them.

429421Cowboy
12-18-2019, 04:17 PM
Obenhofs is what I use, since it won't break down or rot leather. Once a month in the summer when it is dry and as needed in winter to maintain water resistance. And it smells good. Basically beeswax and propolis waxes.

Idaho45guy
12-18-2019, 07:24 PM
Obenhofs is what I use, since it won't break down or rot leather. Once a month in the summer when it is dry and as needed in winter to maintain water resistance. And it smells good. Basically beeswax and propolis waxes.

Yep. Discovered that stuff a couple of years ago and applied to some new hiking hunting boots I had bought. They still look like new and have never let in a drop of water.

It was developed by a former Idaho wildland firefighter and is still made at a small operation up in the mountains...

Wayne Smith
12-19-2019, 09:33 AM
We used a combination of liquid silicon first to fill the pores and holes and then liberal applications of snow seal to hold the silicon in.

jonp
12-20-2019, 10:45 AM
I use a product called Snow Seal, basically a mixture of beeswax and vaseline. Slather it on the leather and then heat it up with momma's favorite hair dryer. It melts into the leather and waterproofs the boots for a year or more.

I leave them next to the woodstove to warm first then put them back. Snowseal is great. For other boots I stay them with Ballistol.