PDA

View Full Version : I could not get approved at Rural King

wv109323
12-15-2019, 09:10 PM
I went to buy a firearm at Rural King a week or so ago. The procedure was to fill out the 4473 form on a computer. After filling that out the store clerk then entered info at the cash register. The clerk got a message that the info did not match and I needed to fill out the 4473 form again. After 1 1/2 hours I had to leave to attend to business. I left without the firearm.
Is anyone familar with the procedure using an electronic 4473? I got a message that I had sucessfully completed the 4473 but the denial was at the register.The clerk may have been inexperienced but I have never had a problem before.

Rcmaveric
12-15-2019, 09:27 PM
I have done a few electronic ones. Never had a problem.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

jimlj
12-15-2019, 09:39 PM
Transposing a number in your address that didn't match your Drivers License would cause a problem. My stellar typing skills are my own worst enemy when filling out electronic forms.

kayala
12-16-2019, 12:03 AM
The FFL I do transfers with only does electronic. Fast and easy.

JonB_in_Glencoe
12-16-2019, 01:34 AM
I've done the electronic 4473 at three different businesses.
One time it didn't go smoothly, and was rejected and I had to type it all in again. It worked the second time.
just take you time and type in everything carefully.

1911sw45
12-16-2019, 07:31 AM
If the info on the 4473 does not match ur drivers license to a tee they will reject it. If u changed ur height or weight other than what is stated on the drivers license.

Shepherd2
12-16-2019, 10:51 AM
I've filled out the 4473 electronically several times. I like it better than the paper form. The last time was at Rural King and only glitch was finding a supervisor to sign the paper work. That took a while and when he arrived he wanted to carry on an unrelated conversation with another employee. After I reminded him why he was there things went rather quickly.

firefly1957
12-16-2019, 01:33 PM
Never had a issue -except years ago the guy on the other end of the phone said something to suggest someone with my full name and birth date from another city was prohibited to buy.
Currently I know someone that is on the do not buy list and no one will talk to him he is appealing but FBI is way past time limit with answers.

Geezer in NH
12-19-2019, 04:26 PM
Seems you left for YOUR convenience. Blame the business. Sorry but you also took part in the denial.

Wheelguns 1961
12-19-2019, 04:57 PM
I was delayed for the first time this week. All kinds of thoughts went through my mind. It was close to closing time so I just left without it. First thing the next morning, I got a call saying it went through. They did not give a reason for the delay, but the owner said something about my id being expired. I said it was not expired, and showed it to him. They never updated their records previously, but then said, since it was still the same dl# it shouldn’t have mattered. So who knows. I am just glad that it wasn’t a bigger problem.

DanishM1Garand
12-19-2019, 05:00 PM
I share a name and date of birth with a felon.

Without the new CHL law not having to do a NICS I get delayed every damn time.

Idz
12-19-2019, 05:05 PM
The gov't is real bad at databases. A single character not matching the official record can cause rejection. If you have a passport copy it exactly. If you have everything correct you should pursue the issue because you may be on a terrorist watchlist, no-fly list, or other undesirable lists. If you can figure out how to get off the lists let us know as the agencies feel no obligation to correct their errors.

jonp
12-19-2019, 07:10 PM
Done both the electronic and hand written with not much problem. An aside note, I was going into Canada once and the Customs guy after looking at my info asked me when the last time I was in Texas. I'm a truck driver so I thought back and told him maybe 6-8yrs ago?
"Why"? \
"Do you know *****".
"Yeah, that's my uncle but haven't talked to him in several years. Something up"?
" Oh, he's not doing so well....":groner:

Don't lie as they know all.

Hossfly
12-19-2019, 07:53 PM
I was denied twice, at Walmart, trying to buy a .17 HMR for squirrels. Stopped at 2nd Walmart and had my wife fill out the form and she bought the gun. 2nd time wasn’t denied but put my birth year as 49, not acceptable, had to put in 1949. Ya know I wasn’t born in 1849 or 2049 so go figure, got to put all info correctly. So now when filling out forms, get questions when I ask why they only have 2 spaces for birth year, they say why, I say ever try to buy a gun at Walmart? Don’t fight the system.

Adam_Selene
12-20-2019, 12:11 AM
I was denied twice, at Walmart, trying to buy a .17 HMR for squirrels. Stopped at 2nd Walmart and had my wife fill out the form and she bought the gun. 2nd time wasn’t denied but put my birth year as 49, not acceptable, had to put in 1949. Ya know I wasn’t born in 1849 or 2049 so go figure, got to put all info correctly. So now when filling out forms, get questions when I ask why they only have 2 spaces for birth year, they say why, I say ever try to buy a gun at Walmart? Don’t fight the system.

Bought a gun once at Dicks (several years ago before they turned full commie), and regretted that decision. I had to fill out the 4473 at least twice on the basis of them not liking how the date was written. I haven't made that mistake again.

Wheelguns 1961
12-20-2019, 12:41 AM
I wrote down the wrong date one time. Missed by a day. I couldn’t cross it out or try to fix it. They made me do the whole thing over.

wv109323
12-20-2019, 09:06 PM
I spent over 1 and 1/2hours trying to buy the gun. I filled out the electronic form 3 times and each time when completed it said to go to sales clerk. I was not denied on the 4473 from what I could determine. He typed in the info and showed it to me. I determined it to be correct but it would not approve me. No chance of confussing me with someone else. I am the only one in the US with my name and I have a CCL and a C&R license. I had to leave to complete a real estate transaction. Others were having problems also. I noticed people leaving the firearms counter because they could not get service.
I could not put my finger on the problem. Before I left the store I complained about the problem to store management. If the system is too complicated for the customer (in my estimation) then the system needs changed or the store needs personel to help walk the customer through the process.
In reading the post I may not have entered my weight as it was listed on my license.

firefly1957
12-28-2019, 04:32 PM
I am seeing a really wrong set of information in this thread it seems people are saying that the gooberment is storing data on the law abiding not the felons?
If I write my height wrong that should not cause a issue with you I am as one person stated ?

rockrat
12-28-2019, 10:34 PM
I had problems at one place cause I abbreviated the state like you do on a letter or package. Nope, they wanted the complete state name. I told them "really!!, and just where am I going to do that since there isn't enough room for it"??

Dan Cash
12-28-2019, 10:44 PM
Seems you left for YOUR convenience. Blame the business. Sorry but you also took part in the denial.

The OP was in the store for his own convenience in the first place. Personally, if I were told to fill out that noisome form on the computer, I would shop elsewhere.

smithnframe
12-29-2019, 09:05 AM
Get a CHL/LTC and it will never happen again!

Tatume
12-29-2019, 09:25 AM
The FFL I do business with uses paper forms. After the customer completes the form, he reviews it. If there is an error, he points it out, and allows the customer to correct it, and initial the correction. He rarely has a problem.

blackthorn
12-29-2019, 12:47 PM
I am seeing a really wrong set of information in this thread it seems people are saying that the gooberment is storing data on the law abiding not the felons?
If I write my height wrong that should not cause a issue with you I am as one person stated ?

Just to be clear---yes! All governments are storing information on its citizens! Further, to the government we are all potential felons (and they will do their level best to see we attain our full potential).

Texas by God
12-29-2019, 06:50 PM
As said above get LTC. If not and you keep getting delayed/denied; file an amendment with DPS for a UPIN number. If you have that, you may have a short wait- like 30 min. It’s never explained but usually same or similar name is on the no- fly list.?

Lloyd Smale
12-30-2019, 07:30 AM
ive been kicked back a few times. Got the info doesn't match answer. Had my buddy who was a dealer do some checking after the second one and he found that I didn't use Jr and my dad was on file too and the age difference and birth date were kicking it back. After that I put jr on the forum and made sure the dealer that called in specified jr and I haven't been kicked back since.

wv109323
12-30-2019, 06:51 PM
A few responders have suggested a CCP. I have that, I have a C&R license. My name could not be confused with others. Either the cashier could not enter my info correct or I may have not used the weight that was on my drivers license. Would the weight disqualify you? Why were other people having trouble?
I have never had trouble and by the way my C&R was renewed after this event.

1911sw45
12-30-2019, 11:57 PM
Rural King don’t care if you have a concealed carry license. They still call in the 4473 to get approval from the ATF. They will turn down ur 4473 if it does not match the info on your driver’s license exactly.

Hickory
12-31-2019, 12:45 AM
For us people who don't live in alphabet soup land what is CCP, LTC, DPS AND UPIN?

Adam_Selene
12-31-2019, 07:01 AM
For us people who don't live in alphabet soup land what is CCP, LTC, DPS AND UPIN?

CCP = Concealed Carry Permit, LTC = License to Carry (same thing); in many states possession of one means that while you have to fill out the 4473, the dealer does not have to call in the background check

UPIN is a Unique Personal ID Number; if you are constantly delayed on a check, you can request one. E.g. if some portion of the information on the 4473 matches someone with a criminal record, you can be issued a UPIN that identifies YOU as being distinct from that person (and everyone else). From what I understand, use of the UPIN goes straight to YOUR records rather than searching through others with same/similar name, etc. https://www.fbi.gov/services/cjis/nics/national-instant-criminal-background-check-system-nics-appeals-vaf

Petrol & Powder
12-31-2019, 09:06 AM
An instant background check has a lot of moving parts and a simple error anywhere along the line will result in a rejection.

Here in Virginia the state police administer the program and the process checks 5 databases during the process. There are a lot of opportunities for errors:
The purchaser fills out a 4473, either on paper or electronically - that can be a source of errors
The clerk then transmits that information to the state police - another point for potential errors (the electronic form may actually be better here)
That information is then checked against 5 databases - potential problems could arise here as well.

Virginia FFL's generally use a computer to communicate with the Firearms Transaction Center but a 1-800 line is also available to handle the needed communication by voice.

Considering that the alternative to an instant background check would be a waiting period, a firearms owner card (gun registration) or both; the instant background check seems better than the alternatives.
Virginia's General Assembly just took a hard left turn, so we may join Kalifornia and the other communist states when it comes to gun control but for now it's one of the better systems.

https://www.vsp.virginia.gov/Firearms_VFTP.shtm

Texas by God
12-31-2019, 10:29 AM
DPS is Dept of Public Safety- the governing agency of carry permits in Texas. Yep, the old Highway Patrol.
Having lived through the Brady Bill nonsense, the current system is gravy. I feel for my less free brothers and sisters in Liberal Land.