PDA

View Full Version : Browning 1886 going rate?

Mauser48
12-15-2019, 06:43 PM
Does anyone have a realistic going rate for a browning 1886 reissue? The only ones I've seen for sale are nib and 2k. I just might be in the market for one if I could find one priced right. What have you guys seen them going for?

HawkCreek
12-15-2019, 07:38 PM
Closer to $2k most of the time is what I've seen. Saw a used one in Montana this fall for $1700, I quickly put it back on the rack.

indian joe
12-15-2019, 07:46 PM
Does anyone have a realistic going rate for a browning 1886 reissue? The only ones I've seen for sale are nib and 2k. I just might be in the market for one if I could find one priced right. What have you guys seen them going for?

Just an opinion (we all allowed to have em) a 1990's vintage Browning 1886 NIB = worth a little more than the best of the current reissue models new price, and anybody that has one and sells it for "a realistic going rate" is either bored with it, desperate for the money, or just plain dumb. They dont make em like that anymore.........................

Mauser48
12-15-2019, 08:13 PM
It seems by now pretty much all of them are in the hands of people that sought them out. Any thoughts on the new ones? Besides the rebounding hammer and tang safety they look to be well made rifles. I know they are made by miroku which is who made the brownings as well. Quality wise, are the new ones equivalent to the brownings with just the exception of the safety features?

Rockindaddy
12-15-2019, 08:47 PM
Gee Mauser 48, why would you want a new Japanese Browning 1886 ??? I have worked on them and fixed them. I have TIG welded up the lawyer slide safetys on the tangs of several of them so they would look like the original McCoy. To make them even look better I pantographed the Winchester 1886 markings back on to the tang. Was at the Louisville show two years ago and a friend wanted an 86' in 45-70 He looked at a Japan Browning 86' and decided on a rebarreled 1886 Winchester original that looked great. He bought it for $2700 It is still worth that as an investment. We have shot the rifle many times! It is a great looking rifle and a terrific shooter. The only way you would know that it didn't leave the factory as a 45-70 is by a letter. You can buy a shot out rifle in one of the obscure calibers like 38-56, 40-65 Win. that was shot with black powder and not taken care of. A new barrel is around $300. With threading and headspacing and cutting the sight dovetails, plus the dovetail for the forearm tenon and the rotary dovetail for the magazine support: you could rebarrel a shot out original Winchester 1886 for less than $500 I have seen originals that were shot out, odd ball calibers go from $1200~ $2000 depending on the wood and metal finish. For my money I would want an original, even though it has a replacement barrel on it. I am an old die maker and made a die to restore the 1886 barrel address and caliber markings. The ole die still works good and breathes a new look into an old rifle that just was a wall hanger. The 1886 Winchester was one of Elmer Keiths favorite hunting rifles in the 45-70 caliber. His favorite load was a 405 gr. jacketed bullet with 53 grains of 3031 stuffed in the case. It is a stiff load not for the faint of heart. Ole Elmer describes hunting in heavy timber and brush taking deer and elk. I still load this Elmer Keith 45-70 round and have put alot of venison in the freezer. Before you spend your $$$ on an import 86' "wanna-be" think about an original!

surfanarchist
12-15-2019, 10:21 PM
Those Browning Miroku made rifles are top shelf. Ive picked up a few over the last three years. I think an excellent condition rifle, 26" octagon, could be had for 1700 + or -. The SRC can be found for 1200 + or -. Just my opinion. Thats the range id consider current fair price. Sometimes they come up for less. Id think nothing of buying one with a buggered up stock and refinishing. They are going up in price but I doubt they will ever become collectable where refinishing would affect the value and that could save you some money.

pietro
12-15-2019, 11:14 PM
The SRC can be found for 1200 + or -. Just my opinion.

Yep - here's one currently F/S @ $1100: https://www.gunsamerica.com/914820013/Browning-1886-45-70-22in-Carbine.htm

veeman
12-16-2019, 12:03 AM
I paid $1650 nor a NIB Browning 1886 rifle this past January. I paid $600 for my SRC NIB 24 years ago. Ain't NIB no more, lol.

Chill Wills
12-16-2019, 12:37 PM
I have not owned a Browning but have Jap Winchester. I am not sure what the differences are in price or parts/design. They must be close. I am happy with the Winchester 1886 except for the light Firing-pin strike.

pietro
12-16-2019, 01:52 PM
I have not owned a Browning but have Jap Winchester. I am not sure what the differences are in price or parts/design. They must be close. I am happy with the Winchester 1886 except for the light Firing-pin strike.

The light FP strike is an E-Z-Peazy fix...………..

Remove the buttstock, do what it takes to get the mainspring & it's strut out.

Once it's out, grind back the lower leg of the strut's forward end fork - use baby steps, until you get dependable ignition.

Re-assemble in reverse order.. ;)

Here's a tutorial: http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?12077-Winchester-Miroku-1886-Rebounding-Hammer-Fix-Tutorial

Chill Wills
12-16-2019, 02:58 PM
Yes.
I've done that and it did not change a thing. Still the problem persists.

Loudenboomer
12-16-2019, 03:31 PM
I also had light pin strike problems with my 86. After the mod. Pietro mentioned above I had complete satisfaction with the light strikes and got a nicer trigger pull as well.

Chill Wills
12-16-2019, 05:51 PM
I wish it fixed mine. I am going to have to get into it and see what is going on. It may be a short pin or some obstruction holding it short. I need to remove the bolt and check total pin protrusion.

Loudenboomer
12-16-2019, 06:32 PM
I wish I could tell you what to look for. I'll bet you'll find something dragging. I was even able to clip a coil off the main spring.

beshears
12-16-2019, 08:47 PM
Go to Gunbroker, advanced search, completed items.

barkerwc4362
12-16-2019, 10:28 PM
I bought mine in 1986 from Widener's Gun Shop in Adna, Washington for 524.95 plus tax. I have never regretted it. It has been re-stocked for a Winchester steel shotgun buttplate and an original Winchester checkering pattern on the forend and buttstock. I had an original Lyman tang sight fitted. With the Keith load for the paper patched lyman Gould 330 grain it will shoot the center out of the 10 ring on a SR-1 at 100 yards. They are well made guns before the lawyers got involved in manufacturing.

Bill

pietro
12-16-2019, 11:28 PM
Yes.

I'm sorry to hear that...…….

It could be that the lower/re-bound leg of your rifle's MS strut may not have been shortened enough; but another one of the usual suspects for light strikes is an occasional bind in the travel of the firing pin (like a burr on the FO and/or debris in the FP channel of the bolt).

indian joe
12-17-2019, 02:02 AM
Yes.

Chill
I had a light strike problem with my Browning model 71 the three? piece firing pin messed up -

Pulled the bolt out and inside you find these little bits - they live in a plastic bag in my spare parts bin now and I used what I had to rig up a solid firing pin like an original would had in it - cant remember the exact procedure - making a new pin is seriously difficult because of the machining of the shoulders for lever engagement
I believe I turned a connecting piece to replace the middle bit in the picture and join the rear part to the actual pin assembly - didnt take pictures of the fix at the time either. If you can get a replacement pin from Winchester Bob or someone - maybe Chiappa fits ?
Maybe the Browning 71 and 86 are different? (doubt that really they made the 86 first then followed with the 71) I left the small return spring in at the head of the firing pin (doesnt need that the lever retracts the pin like they sposed to)

Maybe a good clean woulda fixed this blockout thingy but it will cause me no more trouble - the larger bit in the pic with the notches in it is the centre part of the two part firing pin - the little lever thingy beside it engages the notch and prevents impact from the rear from moving the pin forward - there was a little spring (made a nice hand spring for a ruger style conversion on an army colt) spring behind the little lever bit and its all sposed to go out of battery to allow you to fire - my rifle is old enough it still has a proper half cock notch - I will look it over one day and if appropriate will do Pietros job on that mainspring - trigger is not bad but could be better

shrapnel
12-17-2019, 08:20 AM
The Browning rifles made in the 1980’s are probably the best of all the 1886 guns made, including the original Winchesters. I have had several, I own 2 now and I have a few original Winchesters and comparing them, the Browning is better. I don’t often like reproduction copies of original guns, but when it comes to copies, USFA, Shiloh Sharps and Browning guns do not only meet the quality of the originals, they surpass it.

The later Winchester 1886 copies aren’t of the same quality as the Browning, even if you dump the tang safety and rebounding hammer. I would suggest buying that SRC that was posted on Gunsamerica, that is a good price on a great gun. You won’t be disappointed...

indian joe
12-17-2019, 08:47 AM
The Browning rifles made in the 1980’s are probably the best of all the 1886 guns made, including the original Winchesters. I have had several, I own 2 now and I have a few original Winchesters and comparing them, the Browning is better. I don’t often like reproduction copies of original guns, but when it comes to copies, USFA, Shiloh Sharps and Browning guns do not only meet the quality of the originals, they surpass it.

The later Winchester 1886 copies aren’t of the same quality as the Browning, even if you dump the tang safety and rebounding hammer. I would suggest buying that SRC that was posted on Gunsamerica, that is a good price on a great gun. You won’t be disappointed...

Shrapnel - I agree that one is a good deal.
An original 86 rifle (45/70) came through our LGS a couple years ago - I was there when it came in - quite a nice piece - they put $4k on it - didnt last long - a year later a Chiappa was there on the wall a bit under the money - had fired six shots - I stayed away for as long as I could but ended up bringing it home - turned out a project gun - I became familiar and comfortable with the inner workings of an 1886 (not such a bad thing really they are scary to the uninitiated) its not quite as nice an action as my Browning 71 but the 71 has had more work - I dont mind the Chiappa, its a darn good shooter, looks a treat, no lawyer bits to get in the way. Time will tell whether its as good as the Browning but not much in it at this point.
I have been lucky - put some nice winchester repros in my rack over the years and have evaded the lawyer safeties and such - never bought a gun with the intent of reselling it so the price downunder of originals of the big levers has kept me out.

Drm50
12-17-2019, 08:56 AM
I've owned the Jap Wins and Brn. I would say they are better only from the standpoint of being made of modern steel. Nothing wrong with function or accuracy either. Never bought on new but all were hi condition. The last one I had was Win 1895, 405Win. Nice rifle and shot well. Only shot about 60rds and traded it off. It just didn't feel like a original 95, it's hard to explain.

Last 1886 I bid on was Light rifle 1/2 mag 90%+. When I saw it I bid on nothing until it came up, about half way into 250 Gun auction. I had to get off at $3500 and my paddle caught fire. It went north of $5k. Gun was 45/70.
The Brn 86s putt right along at $2k most shows I see them at. I never seen one that wasn't in hi condition. The guys who buy them take good care of them.

Ragnarok
12-17-2019, 10:35 AM
I paid like $1400 for a Browning 1886 SRC purchased from a Cabela's gun library in 2012. Used with box in fine shape and no/pre safety version....near as I can determine it's about 1992 vintage.

chuckerbird
12-18-2019, 10:10 AM
I paid like $1400 for a Browning 1886 SRC purchased from a Cabela's gun library in 2012. Used with box in fine shape and no/pre safety version....near as I can determine it's about 1992 vintage.

I paid $1643 OTD for mine. The guys in the Reno gun library thought it was unfired, but I fixed that as soon as I could.

danmat
12-19-2019, 12:47 AM
heres info on mine, http://castboolits.gunloads.com/forumdisplay.php?3-Guns-Shooting

Sgt Red Leg
12-22-2019, 10:15 PM
Hummm, our two Browning 1886's made in the mid-80's (I believe) by made by Miroku as are the current Browning/Winchester 1886's. So I don't understand the 'Jap Winchesters' vs 'the Browning Winchesters'. The current ones seem to abound on the auction sites and begin at 1900.00 to 2000.00 dollars. Of course the latest ones have been lawyered up. Most everyone I read about has had safety/trigger work done. Our two were made in 87' & 88 I believe. My first one I purchased used/no box from LGS for $950.00 about 15 years ago. Went looking about 4 years ago for another one for my daughter and after loosing out on three finally snagged one for $1650.00, unfired (other than factory of course) with box and papers. The semi-crescent but plate ate her up when shooting over cross sticks so had it restocked with a shotgun butt plate. We now both use it in the few SASS matches that allow rifle caliber rifle in the main match and use my soule (?) sighted rifle for the 300 to 400 yard side matches. Both RIFLEs are very accurate and have good triggers. Using the 86' in a main match is a total HOOT !

indian joe
12-23-2019, 08:10 AM
Hummm, our two Browning 1886's made in the mid-80's (I believe) by made by Miroku as are the current Browning/Winchester 1886's. So I don't understand the 'Jap Winchesters' vs 'the Browning Winchesters'. The current ones seem to abound on the auction sites and begin at 1900.00 to 2000.00 dollars. Of course the latest ones have been lawyered up. Most everyone I read about has had safety/trigger work done. Our two were made in 87' & 88 I believe. My first one I purchased used/no box from LGS for $950.00 about 15 years ago. Went looking about 4 years ago for another one for my daughter and after loosing out on three finally snagged one for $1650.00, unfired (other than factory of course) with box and papers. The semi-crescent but plate ate her up when shooting over cross sticks so had it restocked with a shotgun butt plate. We now both use it in the few SASS matches that allow rifle caliber rifle in the main match and use my soule (?) sighted rifle for the 300 to 400 yard side matches.
Both RIFLEs are very accurate and have good triggers. Using the 86' in a main match is a total HOOT !

My son takes his Walker to night shoots at our pistol club for the same reason - 65 grains under a low tin roof at night - they all stop to come look before he can get the first cylinder away :bigsmyl2:

Mauser48
12-23-2019, 11:38 PM
I'm surprised so many of you guys have these! Thinking about it more, I think a uberti 1866 is going to fit the bill for me. Maybe one day I'll walk into an 1886.

osteodoc08
12-29-2019, 09:00 PM
I'm surprised so many of you guys have these! Thinking about it more, I think a uberti 1866 is going to fit the bill for me. Maybe one day I'll walk into an 1886.

Gotta look. Just make sure you’re aware of any shortcomings of any model you so choose. Happy Gun Hunting.