PDA

View Full Version : What handles do you prefer for MP molds

kavemankel
12-15-2019, 11:21 AM
What handles do you prefer for mp molds.
First one I have used. I love it . I used a set of lee handles but they were not as good as an old RCBS set.
They fit like they were made for it. Just asking if anyone else has similar results.

StuBach
12-15-2019, 11:23 AM
Miha sells handles as well. Same design as the Lee handles but a bit better construction.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20191215/0d27995e5121f258b19f61145482d04f.jpg

Lee on the left, Miha’s (MP) on the right.

osteodoc08
12-15-2019, 05:58 PM
I love the MP handles as well. They’re well built and function just fine. I’ve got Lee and MP handles as well as some Lymans including their nutcracker style.

Mal Paso
12-15-2019, 10:28 PM
The Lee handles open a bit wider than MP and I had an instance where the back bullet would not drop clear of the 6c MP blocks with MP handles. The MP wood is "nicer", not a dense wood but more solid than Lee.

I used to knock the wood used for Lee handles because the wood isn't very dense so they wear fast. After replacing several with Oak I can say Oak last longer but transmits more heat. If you wear gloves "better" wood makes sense.

winelover
12-16-2019, 07:33 AM
I prefer the RCBS handles, sometimes Lee's. Have a set of MP's also. They are much better construction, however, I find the MP's feel wider.....when the mould is closed. Making them more fatiguing for me.

Winelover

GregLaROCHE
12-16-2019, 07:56 AM
My RCBS handles are great. You can tell they are good quality. Unfortunately, they’re some of the most expensive. I only have one pair and use them for two molds. If I start getting more molds that need them, maybe I’ll in invest in another pair.

Sig556r
12-16-2019, 08:12 AM
Lee works fine with me

toallmy
12-16-2019, 09:50 AM
I prefer lee , I find them more comfortable for me . I have a set of MP handles and agree they are made out of better quality materials . RCBS handles fit me and feel good to , but I find Saeco and new Lyman 4 cavity handles to feel clunky - strong and well built but just a touch big on the hold for me .

Phlier
12-16-2019, 05:10 PM
I only have NOE and Lee handles.

The NOE handles are extremely well made, but the larger diameter handles make the mold a bit more difficult to hold closed. So I'm using the Lee handles right now, but am having the problem of the wood starting to slide around. Looks like it's time to apply a bit of epoxy to 'em.

Butler Ford
12-16-2019, 05:47 PM
I have Lee, RCBS, Lyman, NOE and Miha, they are all handles. Some need to be drilled and pinned, others don't. Beyond that if they fit, I use'em and have no complaints about any of them.

winelover
12-17-2019, 08:02 AM
No need to pin loose handles. Just rough up/dimple the metal and apply RTV silicon gasket adhesive.

Winelover

Mal Paso
12-17-2019, 07:26 PM
Or JB Weld. If you intend to drill Lee handles for a pin, use a Cobalt Drill. That sintered steel is HARD.

georgerkahn
12-17-2019, 07:42 PM
"What handles do you prefer for MP molds?" Bion, I prefer ONLY "MP" handles. A couple of years ago I was (figuratively) pulling hairs from my head with a mould which stopped dropping perfect bullets. The fix ended up no more than changing handles to a set made by MP (I ordered an extra set with next MP mould -- group buy -- I had ordered). To my eyes, the "other" brand handles looked as good as the MP -- I truly do not know why -- but simply putting the new MP handles on -- "perfection" (as close as I might cast to it ;) ) returned.
geo

Teemu
12-17-2019, 08:55 PM
MP or RCBS handles works for me

Loudy13
12-17-2019, 11:27 PM
MP Handles are just a little to big for my hands they are well built and I want to like them but I prefer lee.

DHDeal
12-18-2019, 01:38 PM
You know, it's kind of funny that I bought a set of handles with each MP Mold and noticed that they were larger than Lee's right off. Over a long session the MP do fatigue my hand, but that's telling me that I've had enough. MP is better quallity than Lee, but the Lee's are still good.

I have a more than a half dozen Lee handles for my Accurate Molds and the wood did start to slide after a few long sessions. I pulled out the JB Weld, put some in the holes, and they quit sliding. I had expected the JB to not be able to handle the heat, but it has.

Having Saeco, RCBS, Lyman, CabineTree locking, Lee, and now MP handles, if I was to have to choose, I'd take the Lee. Thank goodness I don't have to choose...

rintinglen
12-27-2019, 08:57 AM
I use Lee Handles on my MP molds, the MP handles are just enough larger to be uncomfortable in a long casting session. But I will join the choir and affirm that the MP molds are better built.

gwpercle
12-27-2019, 02:32 PM
Miha sells handles as well. Same design as the Lee handles but a bit better construction.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20191215/0d27995e5121f258b19f61145482d04f.jpg

Lee on the left, Miha’s (MP) on the right.

Lee are on the left ? Those on the right look like Lee's to me .
Correct me if I'm wrong .
Gary

hermans
12-29-2019, 01:12 AM
Gary,

I cannot comment on the Lee handles on the left since I do not have/use Lee, but the set on the right is definitely MP.

StuBach
12-29-2019, 02:36 AM
Lee are on the left ? Those on the right look like Lee's to me .
Correct me if I'm wrong .
Gary

Take this as the joke it’s intended to be: I said what I meant and meant what I said.

MP handles were on the right, Lee were on the left in that photo. Can tell by the blues finish (MP) vs silver (Lee)

gwpercle
12-29-2019, 06:50 PM
Gary,

I cannot comment on the Lee handles on the left since I do not have/use Lee, but the set on the right is definitely MP.

Thanks !
I have never seen MP handles... the Lee handles look better than I remembered.
Gary

kevin c
12-30-2019, 04:22 AM
The MPs are nice but also more chunky for my small hands. I might take a belt sander to the outer sides of mine.

StuBach
12-30-2019, 04:44 PM
I have pretty large hands and to be honest I just use whichever set I grab out of the drawer that session (I have 3 sets of each). I have found my first pair of MPs suffered from the handles walking off pretty often but have not noticed with my other sets of MP not have I seen much of this on my Lees.

dkf
12-30-2019, 06:15 PM
I use Lee handles. I have some MP handles and rarely use them. The MP handles are better quality than the Lees they just make my hand ache far quicker than the lees. I think its because the closed width of the MP handles are a decent bit wider than the Lees.

Papercidal
12-31-2019, 10:32 PM
I’ll pile on to the mp handles are better quality but the lees are far more comfortable to use and once they are pinned they are equal to the mp handles