PDA

View Full Version : Hydraulic Nose Expansion

Good Cheer
12-15-2019, 09:13 AM
In one of my sixties or seventies reloading books there was discussed the use of spent 22RF cases as oil filled nose inserts to produce hydraulic expansion upon impact.
Anybody recommember that? Anybody made use of it?

smithnframe
12-15-2019, 09:22 AM
A friend of mine used to drill holes in 50/70 bullets and insert a 22 short in the hole with the rim out and shoot them across the susquehanna river in PA at ice hanging from a bluff.........spectacular results!

Good Cheer
12-15-2019, 10:22 AM
Incoming!
[smilie=l:

Bent Ramrod
12-16-2019, 10:03 AM
There was an article in GunSport (The Practical Gun Magazine) of an experimental prototype mould made in Lyman’s R&D facility in the early 60’s. It was .30 caliber, with a deep hollow cavity wide enough for a .22 caliber Lyman gas check. A special top punch would press the gas check (cup side up) into the nose of the boolit as it was being sized&lubed.

A .30 caliber gas check would be attached to the normal gas check shank, the cavity would be filled with water with an eyedropper, a .22 caliber gas check inserted into the nose, and the assembly sized and lubricated in the Lyman #45 machine. The special top punch would press or crimp in the .22 check so there was no leakage. The caster could then use cast boolit loads for varmint hunting in his thirty-thirty, or whatever.

The article writer noted that the Lyman R&D guy had to sneak into cast boolit range using his open-sighted Model 64 lever action, but the effect on woodchucks was like a bullet from a high-velocity .22. Reportedly, these “legal ‘explosive’ bullets” would shoot through a hard material like plywood, but only “explode” when they hit something soft and flesh-like, like clay, a jug full of water, or water-soaked newspapers.

Alas, this time invention never made it to market. The only other mention of such doctored bullets I’ve seen was in Frederic Forsyth’s The Day of the Jackal, where the assassin’s gunsmith doctored some bullets with a drop of glycerine or mercury in the hollow point, with devastating results, on paper, at least.