PDA

View Full Version : I just can't seem to walk past these revolvers.

tazman
12-13-2019, 09:13 PM
Visited my semi-local gun shop today. As usual, I checked out the used rack to see what was there.
There were a few consignment gun that had come in. Several Colts, two of which were SAA, a couple of 22lr revolvers. All were much more expensive than I could afford and not what I particularly like in any case.
There were three S&W revolvers in there. A 686Plus 4 inch, a 617 10 shot 4 inch, and a model 14-4 6 inch with target hammer and trigger. Most were priced too high for my taste.
The 14 was priced lower so I had to look at it.

There was some rust with minor pitting on the cylinder. None anywhere else. The insides of the chambers were clean and smooth. The bore was spotless.
It had the full size wood target grips on it. They were a bit worn but not bad or chipped.
The lockup was good and the trigger was light as nearly all of those are.

I talked to him a bit and got it bought for $400. It will be sometime next week before I can pick it up due to the wait and the shop being closed on Monday.
I am interested to see just how well it shoots.
Serial number research indicates it was built in 1978.
I just can't seem to walk past those old K frame 38s.

I did a little checking. I can get a replacement cylinder for about $70. Might be worth it to make it a clean gun.

Thumbcocker
12-13-2019, 09:32 PM
Good snag. I would try the old cylinder before I replaced it. One mass rust is another man's character.

ddixie884
12-13-2019, 09:37 PM
Good snag. A M-14 is always a good idea..............

pworley1
12-13-2019, 09:46 PM
I agree with Thumbcocker, A little rust just adds character.

Texas by God
12-14-2019, 01:45 AM
You seem to get all the good deals; I’m sure it will be a shooter.

lefty o
12-14-2019, 02:01 AM
what you have is an addiction. the first step is acceptance. lol

Love Life
12-14-2019, 02:18 AM
S&W will always be my first love in revolvers. Nothing beats a 4 inch barreled N frame in 357 magnum in my opinion. However, you owe it to yourself to pick up a Colt SAA one of these days.

Petander
12-14-2019, 03:00 AM
Nice,nice.

I should be getting "my" 14 for Christmas, the one that I slugged in the shop and couldn't forget.

I've never had a 14 before,feels like... Christmas !

Petrol & Powder
12-14-2019, 09:32 AM
I would clean that cylinder up and live with the rust damage.
And if it makes you feel any better, I too find it very difficult to walk past a S&W K-frame. The good news is I have adopted many orphans and those guns now have a good home.

WRideout
12-14-2019, 10:23 AM
I only have one K frame Smith, and she would get jealous if I brought home another.

Wayne

tazman
12-14-2019, 10:25 AM
I would clean that cylinder up and live with the rust damage.
And if it makes you feel any better, I too find it very difficult to walk past a S&W K-frame. The good news is I have adopted many orphans and those guns now have a good home.

That is where I plan to start. I am keeping my options open though, just in case.

I only have one K frame Smith, and she would get jealous if I brought home another.

Wayne

This one will just have to get used to being in a harem.

Hickok
12-14-2019, 11:50 AM
I too find it hard to pass up any S&W revolver.....even if I just get to pick it up,...whether or not I can afford it.

At the present, I have 6 S&W's.

One I traded away in my younger and more stupid days was a pinned-barrel Model 27 with a 5 inch barrel. I still regret it.[smilie=b:

rintinglen
12-14-2019, 12:53 PM
Hickok, I feel your pain. I did the same thing with a boxed 3 1/2” 27. What a great gun. Someday I may find another.

Hickok
12-14-2019, 01:10 PM
Rintinglen, that 3 1/2" 27 will be a hard one to get hold of, I truly hope you find one!

Years back, I found a brand new Model 27 (pinned barrel) with a 4" barrel that had never been shot. It was at a gunshow, and the fella even had a zip tie around the hammer and frame so no one would spin the cylinder and scratch it up. Pristine!

I had half the cash he wanted, and offered him the rest with a check or credit card, ….no deal,... had to have cash. It was a Sunday, no banks open, before atms were everywhere.

I really wanted that 27, but at the time, there was just no way I could get "cash" pronto.

I still keep looking for the older Model 27's, maybe one day...…...

Tom W.
12-14-2019, 11:04 PM
It hasn't been easy, but I've avoided the lgs for almost a year. I did have a relapse and went to Academy Sports this summer and looked for a CZ, but they didn't have any.

murf205
12-14-2019, 11:55 PM
Taz, I know the feeling.You will absolutely love that 14. I can't walk past those K frame guns either...or L frames...or N's...or J's.. or I frame guns. I don't have an M frame but I am looking. My K-38 shoots an Accurate Molds 158 gr rnfp and Accurate #5 a lot better that I can hold it. Good luck to you and Petander with your Christmas presents.

TNsailorman
12-15-2019, 12:57 PM
At one time I had 6 S&W K frames in my possession. But, children and grandchildren raided my group and now I only have 2 of them left. May have to add another or two before I cross over the Jordan. My brother had one of the old S&W Model 27's (no dash ) with a 5" barrel, beautiful highly polished blue finish, checkered top strap, and a gorgeous set of highly figured grips on it. I believe it was about the most beautiful N frame Smith I ever saw. Sadly, he sold it several years ago and I have not seen one since. I did not know at the time he was going to sell it or I would have bought it myself. I love the older Smiths. james

tazman
12-15-2019, 05:27 PM
I get to pick this one up on Tuesday. That gun store has a shooting range and I plan to put some rounds through it before I bring it home.
I will post some pictures and a report when I get it home.

tazman
12-17-2019, 05:57 PM
Here are a couple of pictures of the new to me revolver.
If you look closely at the cylinder and the grips you can see some blemishes. The interior of the cylinder and the barrel are perfect. Only rust was on the outside.

I had to oil the revolver and work with it a bit to get it loosened up. Thing were stiff from it having been left sitting for a long time. The cylinder was harder to turn than it should have been.
A little oil and working got it going like it should.
Here is a picture of the first 12 shots I fired with it at 10 yards. Handloaded match wadcutters.
The center dot measures 1 inch.

I decided to try it from a rest. I had the barrel resting on a cushion and my hands on a piece of carpet. 6 shots with the wadcutters fired from 12 yards.
The one out of the group is undoubtedly my fault.

This one is definitely a shooter.

onelight
12-17-2019, 06:17 PM
Very nice gun and good shooting , looks like a keeper to me.:-)

Petrol & Powder
12-17-2019, 06:25 PM
I'd be happy with that gun.

wgg
12-17-2019, 06:55 PM
That model S&W is what I am looking for. Yesterday I walked in a shop and they had put out a S&W 10-5 with a 4" heavy barrel with a round but. The revolver was immaculate, blue finish in excellent condition, it felt just right in my hand. I put it in layaway and can't wait to get it out and shoot it.

Petrol & Powder
12-17-2019, 07:31 PM
That model S&W is what I am looking for. Yesterday I walked in a shop and they had put out a S&W 10-5 with a 4" heavy barrel with a round but. The revolver was immaculate, blue finish in excellent condition, it felt just right in my hand. I put it in layaway and can't wait to get it out and shoot it.

A 10-5 should have a pencil barrel and a 10-6 should have a heavy barrel, but either way you just can't go wrong. Those are great revolvers.

tazman
12-17-2019, 07:46 PM
A good model 10 is the only remaining K frame I am looking for. I have all the others I want.
That is not to say if a good deal on one like I already have presents itself, I would not buy it. I lust really like the K frame S&W revolvers.
I have a representative of each of the other frame sizes(L, N, and J).

Petrol & Powder
12-17-2019, 08:20 PM
The days of the inexpensive and plentiful used model 10's are over BUT... there were so many made that good ones still show up from time to time. I can't recall a time when I didn't have at least one S&W K-frame chambered in 38 Special. For years they came and went from my stable and then one day the market started to change. I no longer sell or trade them away.

The key is to have the money in your pocket and when you find one; don't hesitate to buy it.

The last one I purchased (Gunbroker, so no exam with the gun in my hands) was a beautiful 10-5 and priced low. It looked to be un-fired or nearly un-fired. It was a re-import and I'm not sure of it's history.
It arrived and was mechanically and cosmetically perfect; except for one issue. It had a huge barrel to cylinder gap. That flaw may explain why it was un-fired and cheap despite its age. Perhaps it failed some inspection and was relegated to some rack in a foreign armory? Anyway, other than that flaw, the gun was perfect. I spent the money to have the barrel set back and the forcing cone re-cut to correct the excessive B/C gap. It was worth every penny. You just can't go wrong with a decent K-frame.

Prior to that I found a 10-7 in a LGS that was a used police gun on consignment. The finish wasn't perfect but the gun was mechanically perfect. The price was very reasonable. That one went home with me without hesitation and it proved to be a great gun.

The point of all of that is: there are still some excellent model 10's floating around out there.

Put the cash in your pocket, take your time, be selective, be discriminating but when the right one shows up - pounce !

murf205
12-17-2019, 09:46 PM
Here are a couple of pictures of the new to me revolver.
If you look closely at the cylinder and the grips you can see some blemishes. The interior of the cylinder and the barrel are perfect. Only rust was on the outside.

I had to oil the revolver and work with it a bit to get it loosened up. Thing were stiff from it having been left sitting for a long time. The cylinder was harder to turn than it should have been.
A little oil and working got it going like it should.
Here is a picture of the first 12 shots I fired with it at 10 yards. Handloaded match wadcutters.
The center dot measures 1 inch.

I decided to try it from a rest. I had the barrel resting on a cushion and my hands on a piece of carpet. 6 shots with the wadcutters fired from 12 yards.
The one out of the group is undoubtedly my fault.

This one is definitely a shooter.

Taz, those is not blemishes, they are CHARACTER and the proof is in the shooting. Glad you found that old K-38.

Petander
12-18-2019, 06:46 AM
Congrats,you found a shooter.

Texas by God
12-18-2019, 03:02 PM
You got a wonderful deal on that shooting machine. Sadly, the only revolvers I seem to run across here are new stainless snubbys or Taurus Judges- I think I just threw up a bit...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

drac0nic
12-18-2019, 04:01 PM
20 bucks says that was a PD or a security guard's gun by the wear. The wear is honest I'd let it be. Shoots about as well as any "K" I've ever shot which is to say very well.