PDA

View Full Version : Rossi r92 Oversized Bore

eastwood44
12-13-2019, 11:25 AM
I just bought a new Rossi r92 in 44 mag and went to slug the bore and found it to be .4345"

I did some research and came across this sight: https://www.levergunscommunity.org/viewtopic.php?t=64099

On September 5th 2015 Steve, from Stevesgunz.com posted this: "There was a period of time in the early to mid 2000's when Rossi was making 44mag rifles with bores as large as .434-5. Their argument was it was acceptable because SAAMI for rifles can be as much as .434. (maybe even larger, I don't remember for sure). At that time I was a warranty station for EMF's Hartford 92's made for them by Rossi. It took about 2 years to convince them to change to .429-30. Our argument was even if they were within spec no one offered bullets that large. So, by the late 2000's they changed back."

Looks like they might be back to making the bore too large again. Anyone else seen this in their new Rossi r92s?

If I keep this rifle and try to cast a bullet for it. I am looking at buying a custom mold from Accurate Molds. I emailed Tom at Accurate Molds and he said I might have trouble getting a .436 bullet to chamber, so I carefully bumped a bullet I have up to .436 and loaded a dummy round to test. Sure enough it is tight in the chamber, it will chamber, but it is tight.

Any advice would be welcome.

12-13-2019, 12:19 PM
Ran into the same problem with a Winchester Trapper. Drove me nuts. Still don't understand the irrational SAAMI provisions for a larger barrel for rifles than revolvers. I rebarreled the rifle to a regular nominal .429 barrel. (? might have been a .430 - can't remember). I'd try and cast something that fits and try to have it obturate to size.

earlmck
12-13-2019, 01:01 PM
Ouch! Our folks who make rifles for our pistol calibers all have their heads up in a dark place. My Rossi 44 mag has too slow a twist to shoot decently with the same beautiful 300 grain that is a favorite in a Ruger Redhawk and which I intended to use in the Rossi. But at least I don't have to contend with badly oversized along with the slow twist, mine being right at .430".

I'd size those on down to .435 and also try different brands of brass. You'll find something that works but be prepared to shoot the lighter boolits outa' your new baby. Heck, mine doesn't even like 240 grainers real well, doing best with the same 200 grain boolit I shoot in my 44-40.

adcoch1
12-13-2019, 02:57 PM
Mine had an oversized bore as well ( I think I remember .432) and it only liked 200 grn bullets. Sad, because I bought it to run 310grn Lee's and bigger, but no dice so down the road it went... Sure was pretty though in stainless with a 20" barrel...

kungfustyle
12-13-2019, 04:14 PM
Get one of these and you are up and running: https://www.titanreloading.com/lee-precision-reloading-equipment/lee-pistol-reloading-dies/lee-collet-style-crimp-dies/lee-44-magnum-collet-style-crimp-die
I was using a 45 acp die to seat the boolit till I bought one of the collet crimp dies. They work great!!!!!

yeahbub
12-17-2019, 01:16 PM
I once knew a fellow who ran into that problem about 15 years ago. Bore was .425 or .426, groove was .434, so shooting cast was a write-off. Nothing shot well out of that rifle. We played around with various cast boolits, but only soft cast at moderate velocities would bump up to seal the bore. It's unfathomable to me why they would deliberately produce something that would alienate their customers, but maybe the decision makers are out to lunch on whether or not what works is important. Having had that experience, I'd look around for a Rossi produced during the time the barrels were correct. Some guy recently had an octo barrel .44 Mag which slugged to the correct dimensions and shot cast very well.

Accurate makes a mold that looks like just the ticket for this problem, a boolit designed for old .44-40's with loose bores. The driving bands are the conventional diameter so it'll chamber, but the ogive diameter is as large as the O.D. of the case mouth, same as a "stop-ring" design. This will center and seal in the bore, but I have no personal experience to speak from. Were it up to me, I'd have one with a .445 driving band .100 long out front (if the chamber will allow the added length) and cast them soft. The "funnel" end of the lever-action chambers will size it down just fine when the trigger is pulled. But, still, this is a work-around and should in no wise be necessary with a new rifle. If Rossi won't fix it and a re-barrel is too pricy, there's the possibility of a rebore/re-rifle to .45 Colt by Jesse Ocumpah/JES. At least then, you could also specify a chamber that isn't sloppy oversize as seems to be the norm for rifle chambers in straight-wall pistol calibers these days.

eastwood44
12-17-2019, 04:16 PM
The gun shop ended up taking the gun back. Now I am on the hunt for the "perfect" mold for my Marlin 1894 with a more reasonable bore of .432