PDA

View Full Version : Touchy Subject

ACC
12-12-2019, 09:29 PM
Here was a very touchy subject between me and my brother.

Do you keep written records of your reloading?

As I have gone through my brothers stuff, I have found 12 years of records of everything he reloaded. Pistols, rifles and shot shells.

If you do keep records, how far back?

ACC

Elroy
12-12-2019, 09:35 PM
I keep track of my brass,and sometimes drop notes in with a bag of brass letting me know how many times I have loaded it,or what I fired it in,but other than the lable my ammo boxes which I fill out with the details,I keep no records.

762sultan
12-12-2019, 09:36 PM
As far as I know I have everything I ever loaded. I started in 1966. A lot of those guns I don't have anymore.

Winger Ed.
12-12-2019, 09:40 PM
I've got a book that I write down favorite loads so I don't have to re-develop them.

On loaded ammo, I write down their specs. on a empty primer wrapper and include it with them however they are stored.
That way, I never have to ask myself, "I wonder what these are".

Walks
12-12-2019, 09:43 PM
I used to keep log books on every gun and all ammo loaded for it.

But when I got into Cowboy Shooting, I sold off a bunch of guns and stopped loading/shooting anything but Cowboy Ammo.

Just never started up again after I left Cowboy Shooting.

ACC
12-12-2019, 09:43 PM
Well I am going to have to start keeping those records. My wife says to keep the records on my computer. Takes up less room.

ACC

Walks
12-12-2019, 09:45 PM
ACC,

Then the Computer crashes and you lose everything.

GhostHawk
12-12-2019, 09:51 PM
I keep mine on the computer, saved to every computer I have access to once a year, plus flash drives and every couple of years burned to a disk with other important stuff. I hate writing, typing is easy. Editing is easy.

As to ammo, once a box is full it gets the details in black sharpie on the top.

If the load changes when the box is empty a bit of goo-gone and 0000 steel wool takes it right off.
Clean and ready for the new info. Caliber, Bullet grain weight, and powder and load. Since I load most things with Red Dot a 3 and a RD = 3 grains of Red Dot.
Short, sweet and to the point. YMMV but that's what works for me.

Hick
12-12-2019, 10:06 PM
Everything in a spreadsheet on my computer (regularly backed up). I know exactly how many rounds of what every firearm has seen since I bought them, how many reloads each set of brass has, etc. When I plan to load a box I write the load info on a post-it sticky, then stick it inside the box of loaded ammo.

Elroy
12-12-2019, 10:11 PM
When I go to the P.O. I usually grab me some of their sticky lables.I use them for everything from lableing ammo boxes to targets.

BMW Rider
12-12-2019, 10:23 PM
ACC - It appears that you have lost your brother; sorry for your loss. I keep digital records, but they are for me and I do not expect anyone but me to pay attention to them in the future.

Bazoo
12-12-2019, 10:24 PM
I keep a binder on most of the guns I reload for with a sheet of paper on each batch of brass (rifle) including how many times loaded an with what. I also keep things I've tried, what works and what didn't and why I think it didn't and ideas to try next or things to change. I rarely have more than one gun in each chambering. I also keep a record of the gun as to which springs have been changed and the like.

Pistols I do similar but I don't keep as much detail, especially about the times fired.

onelight
12-12-2019, 10:25 PM
Mine are old school , my camera skills are lacking
Usually I just log them when working up loads I will stop when I find a load I like.
If I change components I work up again. This is a page from a very old mtm reloaders log book.

JBinMN
12-12-2019, 11:01 PM
I am kind of "lackadaisical" about my load data records, but I do keep most of them in one of those white & black notebooks.

I usually only keep track of the things that "work" & not those things that do not in that book. Things that work for "me" & the firearms/platforms I am using when I reload.

Same goes for casting & the alloys I work with & the lubes are the same. I am pretty consistent with most of those, so they are not too important to me to keep real tight on the records of those things.

I will say that EVERY box or container of rounds I load is marked distinctively on the data used. Caliber, mnfr.( head stamp), OAL, primer mnfr & size, Weight of projectile, Grains of powder to the tenths, how many times fired, Date loaded & so on..etc...

There would be no issue with anyone who has a decent head on their shoulders to know what is in a box or container of the rounds I reloaded & what they are all about.

To me , that is more important than a record of what I did. The boxes & containers of rounds show what I did to any who might need or want to know.

Everyone has different ways & I am not sure that anything or anyone is "right" or Correct" in how they do things, but, like most folks know... YMMV , of course.

IMO, no one should get on anyone else for how they cast, reload/handload, etc. , since it just isn't much of their business anyway, since they are not shooting those rounds being cast & loaded..

Mentioning Safety is one thing, but the rest... MYOB. is likely a better thing to do.
;)

But, of course, perhaps there is someone who walks on water about such things & will just say I am full of it...

Full moon ya know... Anything can happen...
;)

kmw1954
12-12-2019, 11:12 PM
I keep a folder with the folding pins that I add notebook sheets to. I also have it divided with tabbed separators. Each is divided by caliber and bullet weight and powder. The notebook paper gives plenty of room to detail the load and add notes as I go. On the backside I keep track of the loads with brass used, how many were loaded and the date done.

Debating on whether I should start a second folder for my cast boolit work.

Minerat
12-12-2019, 11:14 PM
I have a bound book with all loads and notes back to 1984 when I started loading metallic cases for all guns. Before that it was only shotgun and I shot so many that I never has extras laying around. Load today shoot tomorrow was my motto. I have moved to computer but still write them in the book.

MostlyLeverGuns
12-12-2019, 11:15 PM
I keep a data sheet on each firearm, description, serial nbr, scope, scope serial number, type of mount, fire polished?, a spread sheet of all the load development for that rifle, with best loads at top.
All ammunition is labeled by load and firearm, I do have some 'generic loads used in 9mm, 38 spcl and 45 auto. Cases are kept separate by headstamp and loy number in some cases. As the rifle count and caliber count increased, the need for better records became apparent. At one time 20 gr IMR 4227 under 454424 in the 45 Colt and 15 gr IMR 4227 under a 311041 in a 30-30 was all had to remember. Now I keep records for accuracy and safety. Regular backups to thumb drives are done. All information on computer, data and spread sheet printed and kept with ammunition for each rifle, with ammunition in labeled plastic box (shoe box/storage box) for each rifle.

lightman
12-12-2019, 11:21 PM
If you did indeed loose your brother you have my condolences.

I made a spread sheet thats pretty much a copy of the MTM sheet that Onelight posted. I keep these in a large 3 ring binder. I have notes back to when I first started reloading on my own. Many of the pages have targets or Chronograph tapes stapled to them.

Pete44mag
12-12-2019, 11:58 PM
I keep record of how many times my cases were loaded, I print on painters blue tape the complete load and date loaded on each box of ammo, (it's very easy to remove tape and replace). I have a spread sheet that I made up of all the loads for each of my guns that is backed up on thumb drive and I have a journal of each time I shoot a gun and the number of rounds fired. I may go a little overboard but I look at it as part of the hobby I enjoy. YMMV.

onelight
12-13-2019, 12:19 AM
On ammo that I load with the auto disk I include the weight of the particular powder and chamber size on disk , I also show which press I was using I find the LCT throws a slightly heavier charge with some powders than my progressives do . So when setting up the powder measure I can go to my notes for the exact disk chamber I need to duplicate a powder charge. And the notes save having to work up loads again if I have all the same components and guns. I also label my loaded ammo box's but my box's get used for different loads and cartridges.
It's a time saver to keep a log notes can also be kept on good or bad about a particular load.

Three44s
12-13-2019, 12:59 AM
I buy the single subject wirewound notebooks when they are on sale. A lot of them are very inexpensive then.

One gun, one cartridge, one notebook dedicated to it.

My load information is also written on the targets as I work up a load and the targets are saved.

In the begining I just wrote info on the cartridge box, I learned quickly that system was foley. A thick multi subject wirewound took it from there. I load so many different cartridges and gauges that a multi note book method became necessary.

Three44s

calm seas
12-13-2019, 02:03 AM
ACC,

Three most important words with a computer - backup, backup, and backup.

toallmy
12-13-2019, 02:31 AM
I keep the information in a note book while working up a load for the rifles , but everything gets the load information on the box when loaded . I’m not the best record keeper but if you pick up a container of loaded ammunition you know what it’s loaded with .

Taterhead
12-13-2019, 02:51 AM
I keep records of everything I load. First, in a binder in ink. Then transferred to an Excel spreadsheet. Chrony data and pertinent notes and DOPE from shooting are maintained digitally, and in analogue.

The spreadsheet makes quick work of sorting and filtering for data, but I like the written log too.

All loaded ammo is labeled with data and all load data, alloy, bullet size, components, etc. I always think of others that might find my ammo in an estate context, and have no question what is in the box.

Kevin Rohrer
12-13-2019, 03:06 PM

Nope, I am too busy reloading.

Der Gebirgsjager
12-13-2019, 03:15 PM
I used to do like your brother-- kept a notebook with the date and load description, but eventually realized that all the information is on the label I fill out and put on the box. So instead, I started keeping notebooks when I went shooting. I include such information as the weather, wind, distance, and all of the information concerning the load, date, bullet, powder, case, primer and how it performs in the particular gun(s) being fired.

GONRA
12-13-2019, 06:43 PM
GONRA hasa Sacred Reloading Notebook from 1958 (Load 1) to NOW (Load 6xx).
("Successful" loads are just repeated, boxed up labeled with the Load Lot Nr.)

Ya'll REALLY have to keep records on EVERYTHING or you will eventually get All Screwed Up.
>>> YER MEMORY WILL NOT SUFFICE! <<<

ALSO: Successful loads / data sre stored redundantly on Caliber Specific Reloading computer files.
Shootin' experience is stored on FIREARM SPECIFIC computer files

Ranger 7
12-13-2019, 07:06 PM
Started keeping records of all my gear and reloaded rounds. Use MTM 100 round boxes, each box has a serial number and
gets labeled with all loading data, which is also recorded in a 3 ring note book.
On computer I record all gear, powder, primers, everything. Auto backup to Recovery, to 264 G USB stick, weekly.
Know precisely what I have, when/where I bought it, paid for it and on hand quantity.
I know, O. C. B. D.! But I learned to keep records in service and it has payed off.

ACC
12-13-2019, 11:56 PM
ACC - It appears that you have lost your brother; sorry for your loss. I keep digital records, but they are for me and I do not expect anyone but me to pay attention to them in the future.

About 3 weeks ago. He was the reloader in the family, now I have all his stuff. I never realized how he would keep records of all this. I just bought primers and powder and he would reload for me.

Thanks for the kind thoughts.

ACC

redriverhunter
12-14-2019, 09:44 AM
I keep a memo book with load development, my worst habit is not keeping the load data with the shells I have loaded up

Eddie Southgate
12-14-2019, 11:19 AM
My dad had a 3 ring binder for each gun he shot including .22 rimfire . He kept notes as well as targets for every load he tried in each gun and on different brands of the rimfire . Myself , I find a load I like that shoots like I want it to in all my guns of that caliber and then usually only load the one load for all . All boxes get marked with all details but I don't keep any records a such . If a load is exceptional I may keep a few targets with the load info written on it for reference .

Eddie

Kraschenbirn
12-14-2019, 11:48 AM
I admit I'm something of a slob when it comes to organized load development data. Every manual I own...at least two from the early 1970s... has notes scribbled in margins, on flyleafs, or scraps of paper tucked between the pages of a specific caliber. May take a bit of time but, so far, I've always been able to find info when needed. In contrast, my range notes are probably as good as anyone's: a dozen 4"x6" spiral-bound notebooks (not counting the current one in my range bag) recorded by date/location and each entry lists the gun, load info, chrono numbers (if applicable), performance notes, etc.

Been thinking for a couple years about transcribing info by cartridge but would take an awful lot of time and what I've got works for me.

Bill

country gent
12-14-2019, 12:04 PM
I have 3 ring binders I use 1 for handgun rounds one for shotgun one for hunting rifles one for match rifle and one for BPCR rifles. While not every round loaded they do have every load tried and tested in them. In high power in addition to these I did keep a score book and every round fired in competition. This allowed me to track and determine zeros for 200,300,600 ect. It also made it easier to get thru the matches with previous data. When a friends house fire took his loading notes it was a big loss for him. I use the note books more then check manuals to verify. A new fire arm and I have probably got load nores tests on the caliber in one of them

largom
12-14-2019, 01:17 PM
I have a 3 ring binder for each caliber I load for. If I have more than 1 gun in that caliber I use dividers in the binder
for each gun. I enjoy testing different powders, bullets [boolits], primers and seating depths. All of these tests are
logged in my books.

mdi
12-14-2019, 01:25 PM
While I started in '69, my records only go back to '87. I used to keep hand written details of my loads but lost them when I sold all my reloading stuff during a very messy divorce (I had to eat). I now keep a record of every load on my computer and in a 3 ring binder in the shop. I first record them on my computer, then print them out for my "hard data" kept in my shop. I also use Avery peel and stick labels that go along with the ammo; #8253, 2"x4". I got a template on line from Avery and print them to fill in by hand when reloading. I have 3 binders, one for my "general" reloads, one for my Garand and one for my casting stuff/methods. In my reload binders I also keep good targets with load data and record results for future reloads. My reloading binder is getting pretty full so I think I'm gong to separate my handgun load data from my rifle/shotgun data with another binder. Hmmm, may have to build another shelf...

A post above reminded me of my 22 lr shooting. I have 6, 22 rimfire guns and whenever I got a new one I bought about 2 boxes of ammo available at the time. I shot them through the new gun to figger out which ammo was best; accuracy, function and "cleanliness". I have a binder with this data, somewhere...

Baltimoreed
12-14-2019, 01:44 PM
As a cas, BAMM and Wild Bunch shooter and reloader for a number of firearms with rudimentary military sights my ammo box labels are sufficient for the minute of man reloading that I tend to do. However with my AR 300 and Ruger Mini 30/300blkout rifles that I’ve built and am building I’m thinking that I will need a better system. A new year so a new reloading record system will be in order.

roysha
12-14-2019, 02:01 PM
As far as I know I have everything I ever loaded. I started in 1966. A lot of those guns I don't have anymore.

Same here except I started in 1963.

Loiterer
12-14-2019, 04:08 PM
3x5 index cards get the initial load information and stays with the ammo till fired. Notes written on back of card for changes or leave alone. Index card then put in card box by caliber.

A few years ago I add using Lee Shooter on a thumb drive to the mix.

44magLeo
12-14-2019, 05:03 PM
When I load ammo I write down the load info and add it to the box of ammo.
When I take that box of ammo to the range I record all the load info on the target. Shoot the target. I then staple a tape from the chrony to the target. These targets go in a 3 ring binder. One for each gun.
I add notes to the target about anything I think needs to be noted.
When I get a load I like I then use a ballistic calculator to print out a drop table. I then ad this to the note book. I may even print out a strip of the drops to tape onto the stock for reference while hunting.
If I shoot at ranges other than what I sight in at I have the book for that cartridge. I can use the drop table to know what the hold over at that range should be. Mostly pretty close. With in an inch. For most hunting that's close enough.
Leo

Baltimoreed
12-14-2019, 05:16 PM
I know this thread is about keeping up with your reloading info but curious, do you guys settle for a good enough load for a particular rifle and load or are you constantly looking to change a component to get an even better group? I know my limitations as an old [68] shooter so I tend to be satisfied sooner than later.

Elroy
12-14-2019, 05:32 PM
I'm not into long range shooting,and I too am easily satisfied..If I get inside of an inch at 100 yards with a common soft point from a scoped rifle,with good velocity,and no excessive pressure,then I am tickled ,and if I'm a little wider than that I usually figure good enough,especially on deer rifles.I will fiddle with a load a little,but I don't spend all my time,and money constantly trying different powders all the time.

44magLeo
12-14-2019, 06:02 PM
I work a load till it seems to be about the best I can do with that gun.
Sometimes it's pretty good 1/2 inch or less, other not so good, I have an old bubbaed 7x57 I'm working with. I think it should do better than 4 inches at 50 yards. Most of my rifles haven't taken to much to get in the 3/4 or better at 50 yards.
I know 50 yards is close but that's how long my yard is.
Leo

Geezer in NH
12-14-2019, 06:39 PM
ACC,

I had records for everything since 1975, note the had, I converted it to a file on the computer. 2012 it died there went all my stuff.

I know use paper and a record on computer but paper first.

JSnover
12-15-2019, 10:38 AM
I have a growing stack of 5 subject paper notebooks, with different sections each gun. I figured even if my computer doesn't crash, what happens when a file gets corrupted or software is too far out of date? Paper is the way to go.

Muddydogs
12-16-2019, 02:02 PM
I keep all my stuff on Google Drive so computer issues won't effect the data plus I can access it from any computer or my phone.

Slugster
12-16-2019, 03:37 PM
I keep all my data in spiral notebooks, and have records going back to 1980 when I bought and started reloading for my first centerfire pistol which was a Ruger Super Blackhawk in .44 Magnum. Also have kept targets with load data and climatic conditions when fired. I keep the sweet loads and the bad load data so that I won't waste time and money reshooting them. Paper is much better than memory for me.

Mousehouse
12-18-2019, 09:28 AM
I keep records or make notes in manuals, on pieces of paper, etc. I load a lot of sub sonic, super sonic and other specific loads and I don't want to have to remember what each bag or box is after it is loaded. I think it is always a wise idea to put a note or something in a box stating what it is and how it is loaded.

robg
12-18-2019, 11:10 AM
clip targets in sierra manual with all load data on the target.label all ammo boxes the same with date loaded.

sharps4590
12-18-2019, 12:13 PM
I shoot so many oddball and obsolete cartridges I keep not only the final load data but information of how I formed the case. When I go my oldest son knows exactly where it is so he can either have it for himself for any rifles he keeps or pass it on with those he sells.

redhawk0
12-18-2019, 12:23 PM
I keep computer notes of all my loads. I'll start with a load working it up marking down the range that I'm using...but once I have that sweet spot for a given caliber/rifle then I only keep that load. No need to redo it. If I switch powders...then I have to start that process over but only keep the final load.

I have all my records backed up with Norton Ghost, and its on multiple computers and once a year I burn a DVD-R with all my Firearm info. This then goes into the bank's safe deposit box.

redhawk

gwpercle
12-18-2019, 07:31 PM
If I don't write stuff like that down in a short time I have forgotten the details .
Got a good load ...it goes in a ledger , all the details . If I want to load more I refer to the ledger for the details . Committing important information to just your memory will get you in trouble sooner or later . My books were started when I started reloading and gathering my "Pet Loads" ...1967 .
I would have put them on the computer but in 67 I didn't have one and when our's crashes it takes everything with it . The written word stays.
Gary

ACC
12-18-2019, 10:04 PM
I have a growing stack of 5 subject paper notebooks, with different sections each gun. I figured even if my computer doesn't crash, what happens when a file gets corrupted or software is too far out of date? Paper is the way to go.

You sound like my brother. When I had to go clean out his house, he had hundreds of those books.

Good Times, Good Times.

ACC

Wansingct
01-03-2020, 11:43 AM
I've got a binder I got for free from a sales guy, in the front it has all my current chamber jam OAL/CBTO info for each bullet I've put through it and in the back are my "confirmed" loads for each gun/bullet combo with the powder, charge and seating depth that worked best. In the middle is the load info for my ammo boxes. I'll often have two or three test loads per 10-round row so keeping track of what is what is very important.

Dimner
01-03-2020, 12:06 PM
I have an illness of sorts.

I keep a book with my notes while coming up with a load, and when I am finished I put it in my book of "successful loads"

Also, I use google drive/sheets to record all the raw data:

https://i.imgur.com/AnZfbVW.jpg

JSnover
01-04-2020, 08:58 AM
You sound like my brother. When I had to go clean out his house, he had hundreds of those books.

Good Times, Good Times.

ACC

Yeah, I guess there's one drawback...

Lloyd Smale
01-04-2020, 09:12 AM
mine go back 7 years to when my pole barn burnt down with all my loading gear and loading records in it. Before that I went back to the late 70s. I didn't start keeping track till after I got out of the service. Before that it was mostly just a couple calibers and I loaded for cheap ammo for the most part.
Here was a very touchy subject between me and my brother.

As I have gone through my brothers stuff, I have found 12 years of records of everything he reloaded. Pistols, rifles and shot shells.

If you do keep records, how far back?

ACC