PDA

View Full Version : anyone know how to fix

white eagle
12-12-2019, 11:42 AM
a zipper that comes open after it gets zipped shut.
I have that problem with one of my favorite gun cases
I will shut it and it will sometimes open up and nearly drop out the rifle
so I carry it from the bottom
any cures for this?

dangitgriff
12-12-2019, 12:33 PM
I would buy a hard case large enough to accommodate your favorite zippered soft case...[emoji848][emoji16]

Bazoo
12-12-2019, 12:39 PM
I understand, I get almost as attached to a good case as I do the gun I put in it. You might find local laundry/dry cleaner that can replace the zipper. We have a lady in town, I believe shes Vietnamese, she is real reasonable on stuff like that. She only charged me 3.00 to add a button hole and a button to a shirt. You might get lucky.

oso
12-12-2019, 12:46 PM
Examine the zipper action while closing.
If the zipper is not being closed securely by the pull tab, pressing the top and bottom of the closed end of the pull tab with a pair of pliers may help (don't over do it.)
If the the zipper coil is broken or there are teeth missing then replace the zipper.

MT Gianni
12-12-2019, 01:01 PM
Replacing the zipper is the only fix in most cases.

JonB_in_Glencoe
12-12-2019, 01:04 PM
What makes a gun case become a "Favorite?"

Personally, if a zipper failed, or nearly failed and nearly dropped a gun, that case would be thrown in the trash faster than a knife fight in a phone booth.

Tazlaw
12-12-2019, 02:04 PM
Not an answer to your question, but applying some Chapstick to a stubborn zipper helps.

WebMonkey
12-12-2019, 02:07 PM
Zipper replacement is about five minutes.

Most everything is disposable or single use these days.

I'd fix a well made item before replacing with possibly inferior craftsmanship.

Good luck.

Winger Ed.
12-12-2019, 02:11 PM
Sometimes you can carefully squeeze the slider thing with pliers to tighten its grip on the chain part.

Other times, the teeth in the chain are just worn out.

Another solution:
There's still time to write a letter to Santa...……….

Misery-Whip
12-12-2019, 02:27 PM
Anybody with a sturdy sewing machine can replace a zipper. Auto or furniture uphlstory, bridal shop, boat canvas, quilt shop. Ask around sombody local to you will know how to do it. Call the hobby stores where fabric is sold they might have a customer that hires out.

Idz
12-12-2019, 02:35 PM
I understand sentiment. The beat up case my grandfather's shotgun was in is invaluable to me, likewise the stick he carved into a cleaning rod, and the magazine plug he carved when they restricted hunters to 3 rounds.

gwpercle
12-12-2019, 02:39 PM
Local tailor shop has replaced replaced zippers in coat and shotgun case .
Usually when then start opening up after zipping they need replacement .
I bought heavy duty brass zippers from a place online ... Zipper Shipper
( zippershipper.com) .
Gary

wnc435
12-12-2019, 03:35 PM
I go visit my Mother hand it to her. She rolls her eyes says things under her breath but smiles and says I let you know when its fixed. She retired from Flexsteel Ind. Dubuque, IA Just another reason to love my Mom

white eagle
12-12-2019, 04:35 PM
I go visit my Mother hand it to her. She rolls her eyes says things under her breath but smiles and says I let you know when its fixed. She retired from Flexsteel Ind. Dubuque, IA Just another reason to love my Mom

wheres your Mom at?

BrutalAB
12-12-2019, 04:40 PM
If it doesnt move and its supposed to, wd-40.
If it moves and its not supposed to duck tape.

For the key function we want the case to not open, so duck tape.
Or in my preference, gorilla tape.
:kidding:

white eagle
12-12-2019, 06:15 PM
I believe that crimping it down a bit fixed the problem

GONRA
12-12-2019, 06:26 PM
oso's Pliers Squeeze fix has always verked for GONRA. (SQUEEZE TOO MUCH? - Open it up a bit with a knife, etc. No Worries!!!)
Leave actual Zipper Replacement to the Pros. (Bazoo's Vietnamese lady for example.)

GhostHawk
12-12-2019, 10:12 PM
You can buy replacement zipper "travelers" the part that moves.

I have fixed a couple of jackets with zippers that way.

My favorite solution requires another zipper. Like from a zippered pocket. At the top there is normally something kind of like a small metal staple that wraps around half the zipper. Undo both of those, take the unused zipper off, use it to replace the other one.

Normally it is the traveler that wears out first. Often cast of metal without a lot of strength or durability.
If they machined them from stainless they'd last 10 times as long. But that is not what they want. They want you to buy a new one.

Screw them, if you can.

Bazoo
12-12-2019, 11:05 PM
My mom made me two rifle sleeves that I lost when my house burnt. I'd give anything to have those back. They were made of heavy fabric in a western print that once was a curtain left by a tenant in the apartment above work.

Thin Man
12-14-2019, 09:25 AM
I just found this thread and tried oso's instruction for repairing a zipper on a small bag I always take to work. The zipper that refused to close now closes very nicely. Thank you oso. Now I have to hope I can remember this "fix" longer than several of the other cures I have read about over the years.

fcvan
12-18-2019, 04:28 AM
I had one zipper that would go past the 'all the way open' end, I sewed that shut with 8lb test line. I had another where the stop at the 'all the way closed' end came off. I put a drop of super glue (or equivalent) on each side and sprinkle baking soda on the drop. That will turn hard as a rock almost immediately. I think the gel type glue would work better next time but I didn't have any. Fortunately, the drop I laid down was enough that the traveler stopped at the end.