PDA

View Full Version : rifle build.

sharpshot69
12-11-2019, 10:15 PM
Not sure this is the place for this post. If not please move to where it should be. Anyway, I am building a single shot in .44/70 and the rifle weighs in right at 7lb. My question is what kind of recoil can I expect shooting holy black.

sharpshot69
12-11-2019, 10:21 PM
I failed to mention this is a paper patched bullet at 250 gr. Bore rider.

Winger Ed.
12-11-2019, 10:29 PM
Of the .45/70s I've shot with BP, and 70 gr. with a 420 cast, it seems more like a firm push than a kick compared to smokeless.

trails4u
12-11-2019, 10:31 PM
I suspect this combo should be rather pleasant to shoot.... I shoot a lot of .43 Spanish at similar powder charges in rifles not much heavier, and it's not enough recoil to even discuss. I think you'll enjoy it!

sharpshot69
12-11-2019, 10:44 PM
Sounds good. I have shot plenty of BP in muzzle loaders but this is my first build in a BP cartridge rifle. All my muzzle loaders have been a bit heavier than 7 lb. Age has also seen fit to give me a bit of a shooting shoulder problem. Nothing real bad but did have to quit shooting the .3006 feather weight in anything heavier than around 130 gr.

trails4u
12-11-2019, 10:49 PM
At 250gr, I suspect you could also reduce your charge and use a filler, thus dialing in recoil to wherever you'd like it to be. That's a pretty light bullet for caliber, so it shouldn't be hard to push it fast enough for accuracy and comfort.

Enjoy figuring it out....that's the best part!!

sharpshot69
12-11-2019, 11:03 PM
This is going to be a hunting rifle and here in our part of Michigan a 200 yard shot is pretty rare. So I figure around 70 or so grain BP. and 250 grain or so soft lead around 16 to one should do it. And yes trails4u this build has been great fun and I am sure it will continue to be. My mind is already thinking about a .32/40 down the road. :razz:

Edward
12-12-2019, 06:49 AM
This is going to be a hunting rifle and here in our part of Michigan a 200 yard shot is pretty rare. So I figure around 70 or so grain BP. and 250 grain or so soft lead around 16 to one should do it. And yes trails4u this build has been great fun and I am sure it will continue to be. My mind is already thinking about a .32/40 down the road. :razz:

20-1 will work better at those velocities /yardage /BHN 11-13 just sayin/Ed

bigted
12-12-2019, 08:21 AM
Are you talking about a 44-77 Remington/Sharps chamber?

If so then the 43 Spanish is its twin ... and therefore equal in velocity and recoil. My 43 Spanish is easy to load for and shooting the 255 grain 45 colt .454's sized to fit my fired cases loaded ahead of a case full of 2F OE powder is huge fun and would be the equal to any deer walking, running or flying. I have a 390 grain boolit mold that is semi custom from Tom at Accurate Molds that when loaded over 75 grains OE 2F powder is a very fun shoot with negligible recoil. It would be perfect for any animal found in north america.

My 43 is an old abused military Remington rolling block [ gotta love these old rollers ] and is just a hoot.

Original 44-77's were in huge use on the great herds back in the slaughter days. One of the first Sharps '74' chambers.

Cases are generally easy to find and molds are easy as well. Cool looking old bottle neck cartridge. Would use a paperpatch boolit easy peasy.

Maybe not the cartridge you have in mind tho?

sharpshot69
12-12-2019, 02:34 PM
This is a complete build including barrel chamber as well as my own made chamber reams so will not be like the Remington Sharps chamber. The chamber will be strictly a bore riding paper patched slick. I plan to use the chamber ream to make a full length sizing die for cases. Chamber will be long taper. Almost no free bore. Similar in shape to a .40/65 cartridge case. Barrel is .44 GM blank with a 1-20 twist. Have not decided on parent case as there is a lot to be done with this barrel yet. Barrel has been turned down to fit snug into a modified Stevens single shot 12 gauge shotgun. Barrel will be cemented in using either accraglass or loctite. I have built a couple of other rifles over the years but none quite as involved as this one. .44/70 is what I`m shooting for. No pun intended. But that will depend on what parent case is used. It should be close to that.

sharpshot69
12-12-2019, 02:43 PM
Edward, I have made note of the 20-1 ratio and will give it a try when this rifle is up and going. Thanks.