PDA

View Full Version : New turkey cooker?????

Gussy
11-10-2008, 12:21 PM
Is anyone using the new infrared propane turkey cookers??

Saw one in home DePot last weekend. "oil less" turkey frier?? Double walled with a propane burner under it and it's supposed to cook with about the same result as a regular deep frier.

Interesting as no oil is needed and it would pay for itself in no oil costs. Down side..... can't use the burner for melting lead!!!!

Scrounger
11-10-2008, 12:53 PM
Haven't heard of this before, but one thing comes to mind: Whatever you cook in it, gravity will keep it in one mass at the bottom of the container, so I wonder if it will cook evenly and not burn on bottom?

Gussy
11-10-2008, 02:20 PM
Haven't heard of this before, but one thing comes to mind: Whatever you cook in it, gravity will keep it in one mass at the bottom of the container, so I wonder if it will cook evenly and not burn on bottom?

Picture on the box shows it in a rack and open. Show corn, side of ribs...... Says cooks same as in oil, seals juice in like oil cooking, moist meat. I haven't looked, but it might be in their web site.

First I'd seen or heard of it too. Nice looking unit!

.................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ..

Just went on the web site and it is there. Char-Broil Big Easy Oil-less Turkey Frier. $139

leadeye
11-10-2008, 02:57 PM
I have been frying turkey for a long time, my wife's relatives were spooked about it at first so we had roast and fried together. Now they just want fried. I now cook it in canola oil from Costco at 350 for 45' after keeping it in the oven for 2 hours at 200. I will look into these new gadgets but can't believe it will taste as good. You can improve just about anything by deep frying it.:drinks: