PDA

View Full Version : New molds for startin

ggb3
11-10-2008, 11:32 AM
Hello y'all and good mornin:
After I take to feelin like I know something, I start out looking at molds to purchase. Then, confusion sets in and I realize I still do not know much at all. Anyway, I was looking to get some opinions on what best I should get.

I am not wealthy by any stretch, but not overly concerned about cost. I would like them to be "worth the money" and last my lifetime and give to my son.

I would like to cast for .45 ACP, .38spl., .357 Mag., 30-06, and eventually for 45-70, .500.

The unknowns are I do not really know what my guns like in my casting of lead or lead alloy SWC grains. I hate the thought of buying molds for one cal with different grains, standarizing on one, then the others collect dust. I guess what my question is:

Is there a "Holy Grail" mold for these particular calibers that no mortal should be without?

I thank y'all for the info,

George

James C. Snodgrass
11-10-2008, 11:45 AM
:castmine:Keith type molds are very popular in revolvers . As far as 30 cal a lot of folks like the 311291 Lyman . But I would imagine that you will get a large variety of answers on manufacturers and designs from the folks here . Good luck James

crabo
11-10-2008, 02:23 PM
I would pick one gun to start with. Choose something like the 45 acp which is very cast friendly. Then move to 38/ 357. In my opinion, if you try to do too many guns at once, you can get frustrated.

I use a 200 grain H&G 68 mold for my .45s. I am sure someone can offer some good suggestions from the Lee mold line which would be a good econimical place to start.

leadeye
11-10-2008, 02:44 PM
I had a twenty year gap in my casting/reloading experiences, and have picked it back up with a lot of good info on this board. 38-357 is where I would start as straight wall cases in a revolver have always been the easiest for me to reload. Lots of potential bullet/powder combinations here that are sometimes removed from play by the need to cycle the auto. There are lots of good molds out there for reasonable money that will give you good service in 38-357. Best of luck and ask questions on the board, the answers got me off to a good restart.

missionary5155
11-10-2008, 02:44 PM
Greetings and Welcome...
You are doing the RIGHT thing by asking questions.
Whichever launcher you start with ( I would suggest your FAVORITE) you need to slug the barrel and chamber area so you can start off with the correct size mold and sizing die( if you are going that route right off) .
Just clean the Barrel/chamber(s) , slightly oil a SOFT piece of lead (fishing sinkers work well) and gently drive it through the barrel with a near bore size brass or wood rod. Measure and WRITE down the measurement. Do the same for the chamber area..
If you do not know how to get these measurements just ask. But it is important. We all have at sometime launched an undersized boolit and ended up with extra work to clean out the barrel.
You also need to think about a boolit : how heavy a boolit... how fast.. what is the planned purpose.. With some prepared considerations you will get enough info and choices to fill your next two years of reading enjoyment ...

StrawHat
11-10-2008, 03:17 PM
If I were starting over again I would probably say a must have mold would be the 358429 fro the 38 Special.

And for the 45-70 I recommend the 457122 BUT that should be tackled after getting some experience under your belt as casting hollowpoints is not the same as casting solids.

For the other cartridges you mentioned it would help to know what firearms you are using.

Good luck and enjoy the experience.

EDK
11-10-2008, 07:30 PM
Are you planning on investing in a lubricator/sizer machine also?

You can start "on the cheap" with LEE moulds, in Tumble Lube designs...get the six cavity models!....and LEE sizers. A 20 pound capacity LEE pot is also a good starter model. Then after you become experienced, you can graduate...if you feel it necessary...to conventional lube designs and a RCBS/LYMAN or STAR lubri/sizer.

I am currently using a STAR, which is considered "the cadillac" of sizing machines, BUT the RANCH DOG/LEE Tumble Lube designs work well in my 44 magnum MARLINS and RUGERS. I could be very happy to use these and LEE LIQUID ALOX exclusively if I didn't have the STAR and conventional design moulds. I also just received his TLC 359 190 for 38/357 and 35 caliber rifles, but haven't cast any yet.

Go to the link at the bottom of the page for additional boolits from Ranch Dog and check out the LEE catalog. You can get the LEEs discounted from GRAFS, MIDWAY USA, MID SOUTH SHOOTERS SUPPLY, NATCHEZ, etc.

Feel free to ask questions...you'll get a million answers...all different, but based on the individual's experience.

:Fire::cbpour::redneck:

mooman76
11-10-2008, 10:03 PM
I'd start with the revolver. They take just about any bullet that was made for them and the 38/357 can use the same bullet. Pick something about 150g. It doesn't matter with the revolver whether it is RN SWC or WC. Pick waht you feel you want to shoot. If you don't know that your 45 will chamber and shoot SWC ok you may not want to buy that mould. The RN will work ok may between 200 or 230g. The keith styl moulds are good ones but Lee doesn't make them and they are more expensive. You got plenty of time latter to figure out what you want in rifle. It's a little harder so you might want to get some pistol bullet time first although the 45-70 is pretty easy since it's a slower shooting round. Good luck and you could probubly pick up some good used moulds here if you atch for them.

testhop
11-10-2008, 11:06 PM
welcome to the forum
now to the question imho
probley the lyman 452374 or its clones is a great 45 boolit it is a round nose that feeds good
the 38 and 357 358429 ,358156
for the 06 there a bunch of good moulds like the 311291 311284
and if you can find one of these 311466 311467
i know these are all lyman and other co have good moulds like rcbs saeco lee
and some i havent though of
i have no experence with the 45-70 or 500
so i will leave that to someone who has
this is by no means the only ones but it is a start