PDA

View Full Version : turkey

txpete
12-14-2005, 11:52 AM
whats your fav. recipe for wild turkey??
pete

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v238/txpete/TURKEY05007.jpg

Jumptrap
12-14-2005, 12:05 PM
My favorite recipie for wild turkey is simply unscrew the lid, place bottle to lips and sip slowly.

Now another variation of this is to pour whatever you can stand in glass, add a couple ice cubes and maybe some 7 UP, ginger ale or some Coke.

Finn45
12-14-2005, 12:41 PM
HAR! That first one sounds even better and for sure more simple than Laplanders arctic loon soup. Fine looking bird there!

txpete
12-14-2005, 12:58 PM
Jump I was serious about the fav recipe...I guess I'll just smoke it.
pete

felix
12-14-2005, 01:14 PM
Pete, if you smoke it, you will turn that turkey into highland scotch. Might be a worth while experiment. ... felix

StarMetal
12-14-2005, 01:45 PM
Pete,

The thing is wild turkey is very dry so it's best to use a cooking method that keeps as much moisture in as possible, like a baking bag. The best way I've been told is to use a deep oil fryer.....they you can use that to melt you lead too!

Joe

carpetman
12-14-2005, 01:58 PM
Recipe for wild turkey. If you shoot the darn thing,it will probably roll around and flop around in cactus which will get all in you when you clean it. Even if it doesn't get into cactus,it will stink very badly. Leave it alone,it eats lots of bugs---go to store and buy a Butterball---much better. Besides what did you really accomplish getting a turkey?---one of the dumbest things around.

txpete
12-14-2005, 02:29 PM
CM,I can see your not a hunter,eyes like a eagle and one of the hardest birds to hunt.
pete

krag35
12-14-2005, 02:41 PM
Cooked one for Thanksgiving. Since I skinned it, cooked it in one of those plastic oven bags. pretty good eating. If you plucked it, deep fat frying is best in my book.
krag35

carpetman
12-14-2005, 02:46 PM
TXPete---In the past I did kill a turkey or two. I would hazzard to guess how many I could have killed---easy opportunities after I decided the last one would be my last one. Yes they do seem to have great eyesight and can disappear into thin air,but for the most part,I have found they can be easy to hunt. Ive been within 10 feet of a bunch from a blind.

StarMetal
12-14-2005, 04:11 PM
Ray,

Maybe the turkrys thing you're a turkey. hahahahahahahaha Or one of Ben Franklin's kin.

Joe

Jumptrap
12-14-2005, 04:23 PM
Okay, if you don't like sippin Wild Turkey....there isn't anything worth saving but the breast.....trust me on that. Remove the breast and deep fry in peanut oil until golden brown. The rest of it is tough enough to retread you truck tires with.
They're fun to hunt and the spring season is a hoot. Drag out the Mag 10, stoke it with #5's and have fun.

Scrounger
12-14-2005, 04:41 PM
Ray,

Maybe the turkeys think you're a turkey. hahahahahahahaha Or one of Ben Franklin's kin.

Joe

He isn't????

txpete
12-14-2005, 04:57 PM
well guys thanks again for all the useful info,been here along time but won't bother you again.

StarMetal
12-14-2005, 05:07 PM
txpete,

You're not bothering us at all. Glad to have you here. Hey, try punching "cooking wild turkey" into the Google search engine. Lot of good tips.

Joe

versifier
12-14-2005, 06:30 PM
Pete,
As has been suggested, use an oven bag. Lay some carrots in the bottom of the bag before you put in the bird, then surround it with large chunks of onion, more carrots, halved potatos, and other root veggies if you like them. Cook the giblets and neck separately and save the broth for the gravy - toss the neck, and give the liver to the dog. When the bird is done, pour all the drippings, giblets, and broth into a good sized saucepan and put in on to boil. Add some Worcestershire, white pepper, basil, sage, and rosemary, a little dry white wine, then add flour (put a cup of flour in a mayo jar with 2cups of cold water and a few chunks of onion to break up the lumps and shake well, strain it into the pan). Reduce the heat as it thickens, stirring from the bottom some like to use a whisk for this. There you go. :holysheep

wills
12-14-2005, 06:30 PM
Lots of these folks have been joshing each other for six or eight years and forget to mind their manners when newcomers are around. Don't take offense, they're just treating you like one of the old timers.

grumble
12-14-2005, 06:54 PM
As an addition to the previous recipies, I'd suggest you also have a second store-bought turkey on hand in case you don't much care for the wild one. Depending on what they've been eating, they can be pretty nasty tasting sometimes.

Also, you might want to consider a wet stuffing inside the cavity of the bird to add some moisture. I've been told that using an orange soft drink instead of water to mix the stuffing will improve the flavor and tenderness. Never tried that, though.

RugerFan
12-14-2005, 07:28 PM
I think it's safe to say that the majority of the hunting community considers the wild turkey to be a rather wily game bird and often difficult to harvest. Good job txpete!

I'm with Jumptrap on only saving the breast. An incredibly easy method is to cut the breast meat into strips, roll in your favorite chicken or fish batter, and pan fry. Simple yet tasty.

waksupi
12-14-2005, 08:37 PM
I have a Monarch cook stove, so they cook faster, and moister, than a conventional oven. I generally stuff them as you would a store bought turkey, and lay a pound of bacon strips across the breast. Keeps it nice and moist. After I started shooting wild turkeys, Butterballs are second rate, or worse.

MT Gianni
12-14-2005, 08:41 PM
I 'm with the breast folks. Have turkey strips or fingers and if you want to use the rest cook it down for a day in plenty of liquid with celery and carrots added. Let it cool, skim the fat, bone, and make soup. Gianni.

carpetman
12-14-2005, 10:44 PM
TxPete---where abouts did you get the turkey? I live in San Angelo and hunt about 50 miles from here RobertLee/Silver area.

txpete
12-14-2005, 11:28 PM
first guys I am not a newb here I go back to the old shooters "slugs".have been out for a while dealing with VA in and out of the hospital ect.had to re reg as txpete.
I am hunting north west of liberty hill on a private ranch in the hill country.get this $250.00 a year on a 4 gun ranch.all the guys there but me are family I guess I have been adopted 8) . 45.1 miles from my front door.
cooked up a batch of that turkey tonight in olive oil egg/flour garlic/onion salt and pepper and it was killer.first turkey and if I see another he is history.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v238/txpete/cooking003.jpg

wills
12-15-2005, 12:37 AM
I have a Monarch cook stove, so they cook faster, and moister, than a conventional oven. I generally stuff them as you would a store bought turkey, and lay a pound of bacon strips across the breast. Keeps it nice and moist. After I started shooting wild turkeys, Butterballs are second rate, or worse.

How do you cook a Monarch? Got any good recipes?

wills
12-15-2005, 12:38 AM
first guys I am not a newb here I go back to the old shooters "slugs".have been out for a while dealing with VA in and out of the hospital ect.had to re reg as txpete.

Welcome back!

RugerFan
12-15-2005, 01:05 AM
I am hunting north west of liberty hill on a private ranch in the hill country.get this $250.00 a year on a 4 gun ranch.all the guys there but me are family I guess I have been adopted 8) . 45.1 miles from my front door.
cooked up a batch of that turkey tonight in olive oil egg/flour garlic/onion salt and pepper and it was killer.first turkey and if I see another he is history.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v238/txpete/cooking003.jpg

Speaking of Texas hill country, I got my first big game CB kill near Barksdale (a nice Corsican ram). Nice area. Your turkey dinner looks great. Save us some left overs.