PDA

View Full Version : Got my first H&G Mould!

mtgrs737
11-10-2008, 11:06 AM
After reading so much about H&G moulds here I have been keeping an eye out for one in a caliber I can use for a long time. Saturday my son and I were walking through the Tulsa gunshow and we spotted a 4 cavity mould on an older gentlemans table. The mould was a H&G #130 45cal. 185 gr. swc in good shape. The cavities were excellent and the alinement pins and holes were good so I bought it and now I will get to see how well it casts!

beagle
11-10-2008, 11:27 AM
That's a good one to start with and they're jewels. I've shot thousands and thousands of the #130 and #50 back in the old bullseye days.

Congratulations and enjoy./beagle

rugerman1
11-10-2008, 01:28 PM
Welcome to the H&G collectors obsession asylum! You are currently at level #1.Once you memorize Hensley & Gibbs Mould Chart Reference Page (http://hgmould.gunloads.com/casting/hgmoldchart.htm) you will get your Captian Galena decoder ring. :mrgreen:

Vly
11-10-2008, 01:32 PM
Good score! That mold will make a nice pile of boolits fast. My #130 feed 100% through both my 1911 as well as a S&W 4516. Very accurate also. You will like that one.

Le Loup Solitaire
11-10-2008, 07:05 PM
Congratulations on a special find. The #130 is a great design and will work well for you. H&G workmanship is second to none and molds work very smoothly. Another mold to keep an eye out for is #68 which is another favorite of .45 shooters. Whatever you pay, especially if the mold is in good shape, is worth it. H&G molds are getting harder and harder to find and probably more expensive too. Good luck on your new mold and enjoy casting. LLS

mtgrs737
11-11-2008, 12:06 PM
Welcome to the H&G collectors obsession asylum! You are currently at level #1.Once you memorize Hensley & Gibbs Mould Chart Reference Page (http://hgmould.gunloads.com/casting/hgmoldchart.htm) you will get your Captian Galena decoder ring. :mrgreen:

I plan on giving that mould a spin today! OH and I have been studying that H&G mould chart so I can get one of those Captian Galena Decoder Rings!!! :drinks:

To me this one mould was worth the 2 1/2 hour drive to Tulsa.

Dale53
11-11-2008, 12:18 PM
The H&G #130 is one of the most accurate bullets I cast for both 1911's AND S&W revolvers (I currently have two 625's). The revolvers and semis both shoot well under an inch at 25 yards from a rest.

This bullet casts extremely well, dropping when the mould opens (I have a four cavity). It is my favorite mould (approaching 70 moulds at this time).

Dale53

mtgrs737
11-12-2008, 07:57 PM
I got a chance to fire up the lead pot and cast a few today with my new to me H&G 130 four cavity mould. All I can say is that I wish all my moulds worked as well as this one does, boolits fall out of the mould upon opening, they are completely filled out all the time not just some of the time. The best part is that boolits cast from WW alloy are measuring .453" to .454" which is perfect for me. I am going to take really good care of this jewel. Has anyone seen a 68 with a flat base for sale? LOL!

mtgrs737
11-15-2008, 01:34 AM
Wow! I have been watching a H&G 130 4 cavity on ebay that is just like mine and it is up over $100 with 10hrs to go! I have cast about 1000 boolits with mine in the last two days and I think I can understand why they go so high now. They are real jewels.